IGNORED

Newsflash: Joe M didn't go on the family hike!

Justme

Sarah does sometimes mention she goes into Uriah to what some would call "write".

It must be bliss, just being away from everyone for a few hours.

Yes, and Uriah is parked right next to the compound and I'm sure there's a camera on it to make sure she keeps faithful and on-task.

Hm, I'm skeptical it's a courtship that's preoccupying Joseph's days. I think he's just tied up with work. If anything, I'm glad Joseph has real work to do. I often wondered how much work the Maxwells get in their consulting business. It's nice to think that the men are able to generate real work, away from the Titus2 ministry. Some distance from Steve's "ministry" would make it easier to pull away from his control.

I had a dream last night that Sarah Maxwell got engaged to a cute, young, well-off fundie-lite guy from Wisconsin. She wrote a post announcing her engagement on the Maxwell blog, and her fiancé was leaving all of these really sweet and kind of cutesy comments on the posts, like "I can't wait to be married to you in only X days" and stuff like that. The dream was in the form of the inevitable FJ thread about their engagement, which is kind of pathetic for me. :lol: But it made me sad for her when I woke up and realized it wasn't real and probably never would be.

The thing that stood out to me is that they were SAD and MISSING him. HELLO you see him every dang minute of your life. You were apart for, what, a couple hours while you went on a hike???

That got me too! They missed him, wtf? Sounds like they are all SERIOUSLY codependent on each other. Nothing healthy about that.

I'm mobile, and can't go way back to search, but when Nathan got married, Teri said the kids were in tears that first night from missing him. Now, I might think that the kids were in tears due to exhaustion, or a let down after all the excitement, but, no, Teri said they missed him. That seemed mighty...strange to me, but in a normal world, by the time a sibling gets married, he/she has already spent an increasing number of hours away from the family unit. Not so in Maxhell. Going from 0 to 60 in a matter of hours for the new couple means going from 60 to 0 for the family.

I remember missing my older brother when he first started skipping family events, but I was 10 at the time, and he was 15. I quickly adapted. The Maxhell chil-dults have never had to do that.

I'm mobile, and can't go way back to search, but when Nathan got married, Teri said the kids were in tears that first night from missing him. Now, I might think that the kids were in tears due to exhaustion, or a let down after all the excitement, but, no, Teri said they missed him. That seemed mighty...strange to me, but in a normal world, by the time a sibling gets married, he/she has already spent an increasing number of hours away from the family unit. Not so in Maxhell. Going from 0 to 60 in a matter of hours for the new couple means going from 60 to 0 for the family.

I remember missing my older brother when he first started skipping family events, but I was 10 at the time, and he was 15. I quickly adapted. The Maxhell chil-dults have never had to do that.

Right, I remember that, too. And it's not like Nathan was moving anywhere further than ACROSS THE STREET (or however far from the compound he is -- maybe around the corner?). Wedding days are emotional for everyone in different ways, but they were missing him! Give the guy a break -- he got married and is off on his honeymoon, and then he'll come home and you can see him any time because he's your neighbor.

Right, I remember that, too. And it's not like Nathan was moving anywhere further than ACROSS THE STREET (or however far from the compound he is -- maybe around the corner?). Wedding days are emotional for everyone in different ways, but they were missing him! Give the guy a break -- he got married and is off on his honeymoon, and then he'll come home and you can see him any time because he's your neighbor.

Look up the phrase "pathologically unhealthy enmeshment," and you'll find a picture of the Maxwells. They probably break into flopsweat every time someone goes to the bathroom.

Its strange...it would make sense if he had moved out when they were about 5, but these are adults they are talking about.

Maybe he had one too many of those turd shaped energy bar granola nuggets and had to stay behind due to some bathroom issues.

Also, I don't get the whole thing with the chil-dults being so upset and missing Joe when he couldn't go on the hike. Also, the whole thing when Nathan moved out and the children crying the first night because he wasn't coming home. I don't think that's normal. I know the reversal children were younger when Nathan got married, still it's just odd. If the children/chil-dults were able to have real lives, with real interests of their own and real friends outside the compound I don't think they'd be upset when Joe couldn't go on the hike. It sounds like they're a young teenage couple who can't live five minutes without being with their new boyfriend/girlfriend. It's freaky. Like Flowers in the Attic creepy.

Oh, and Stevius Christo-- Jesus would want your children/chil-dults to have friends and interests and lives outside the compound. Do the right thing-- let the chil-dults go!

Maybe he had one too many of those turd shaped energy bar granola nuggets and had to stay behind due to some bathroom issues.

Also, I don't get the whole thing with the chil-dults being so upset and missing Joe when he couldn't go on the hike. Also, the whole thing when Nathan moved out and the children crying the first night because he wasn't coming home. I don't think that's normal. I know the reversal children were younger when Nathan got married, still it's just odd. If the children/chil-dults were able to have real lives, with real interests of their own and real friends outside the compound I don't think they'd be upset when Joe couldn't go on the hike. It sounds like they're a young teenage couple who can't live five minutes without being with their new boyfriend/girlfriend. It's freaky. Like Flowers in the Attic creepy.

Oh, and Stevius Christo-- Jesus would want your children/chil-dults to have friends and interests and lives outside the compound. Do the right thing-- let the chil-dults go!

Yes, that has been mentioned here before, exactly.

I think JimBob and Michelle will probably cope much better when theirs marry and move off than the Maxwells. I don't know how they acted when Josh married, but I'd guess it was more normal. (Did I just say normal about the Duggars?) Even the Arndts seem to be away from each other once in a while, don't they?

Yes, that has been mentioned here before, exactly.

I thought we had, but I get all our fundie snark jumbled :)

I thought we had, but I get all our fundie snark jumbled :)

I actually like to be reminded of some of our old classic discussions! :)

So we all know the Stevus has gotten more and more controlling over the years. As compared to Nathan and Christopher, the reversal kids have had the worst of this, they have only known the total isolation of the family. Maybe it's possible the Joseph is afraid to be in a house by himself? He has NEVER not been completely surrounded by his family. The cloistering of which has only gotten worse over the years. Could be possible.......

On renting: I don't know the rules in Kansas, but I know I wouldn't want to rent to someone who was unwilling to sign a year long lease. Which means that Joe wouldn't have his house back for at least a year, and therefore would have to ask his future wife to hold off on procreating until the lease (and all repairs) is complete. I also bet they wouldn't be comfortable renting to someone who doesn't share their values, and in many (most?) communities that is illegal. So rather than risk it, it's best to just let it sit empty.

Plus renting isn't for everyone. I will never rent out property again. People, even nice, decent people who are clean and well kept, with professional jobs, do not treat rentals the same as they treat their own property.

Rather than Sarah going to Uriah to write, why not go to the empty house to write? If they don't want to rent it out and he doesn't want to live in it, they could use it for office space until he moves in.

I think JimBob and Michelle will probably cope much better when theirs marry and move off than the Maxwells. I don't know how they acted when Josh married, but I'd guess it was more normal. (Did I just say normal about the Duggars?) Even the Arndts seem to be away from each other once in a while, don't they?

I remember Michelle being upset about not getting to shave Josh's neck again. Also I don't think any of Josh's siblings care for him that much and were probably happy to be rid of him.

I remember Michelle being upset about not getting to shave Josh's neck again. Also I don't think any of Josh's siblings care for him that much and were probably happy to be rid of him.

When Josh moved out, it was a bit of a change but all that really happened was that they had an extra SIL/DIL to hang out with. When Nathan moved out, the Maxhelleon's social circle decreased by 12.5%. I'm pretty sure the Duggarlettes would be able to duck out the house without specific permission from Jim-Boob. I'm also pretty sure the same isn't true for the Maxwell 'children '.

Its strange...it would make sense if he had moved out when they were about 5, but these are adults they are talking about.

The reversals were children and preteens. Sarah was around 20.

IIRC, Christopher was sleeping at night in his own house (the house he bought DEBT FREE from his PARENTS) prior to his marriage, but was taking his meals at the compound (can't remember why I knew that). But I guess since Joe's house is a MILE away, he's probably not allowed to do that.

We interrupt MJB's reading of this delightful thread to snark: a MILE? hush that mouth! It's a whopping 6/10th of a mile, which as any body knows is as good as 6,000 in Maxhell!!!

Back to reading.

I hadn't heard that about Christopher. I recall Teri mentioning he had his own room in their house as an adult, but chose to move back with the younger boys.

She emphasized moving back was his choice.

Ok, Teri, if you say so.

Riiiight. This is the woman who acknowledged that her sons really had no choice when their father implored them with Real Tears to stop playing sports.

ETA: Does anyone here believe any of the Maxwell women would be allowed to stay back by themselves?

Heavensno. Because they would have time to reflect, and to think. And to quote a source: "Probably a good thing [a new girl baby] is a feeler. Thinker women are really scary!"

whaa...?

whaa...?

I think it was in regards to not cutting Josh's hair anymore on the VSE when he got married, right?

Archived