IGNORED

Cross-examination, indeed! - Ben and Audri Botkin

Marian the Librarian

The McDonald's questionnaire was much more fun. Here is a few, I couldn't do them all.

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? Ah, no, I thought the point was he died for me.

What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart? I don’t like to see people around me upset. I’m happiest talking to my 2 ½ year old nephew on the phone.

Who are your disciples? Well, whoever they are, they are admiring from afar.

Who are your closest friends?twin1

When did you really start to seek the Lord? Haven’t got around to that yet.

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word? “chirping cricketsâ€

What do you believe about Salvation? If there is a God and I’m to be saved, that’s his decision.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? He hasn’t yet. But when he does I will go to the doctor and get some drugs to nip that in the butt.

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? Oh, I guess I’m somewhat self-centered. However, at least I’m not vain enough to think that after a few months of marriage I was and expert and could run a marriage seminar…..

What do you believe about sin? What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7? That depends on what you define as sin.

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? Theology is the study of the origins and doctrines of religion.

How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine? www.amazon.com. I read the reviews.

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? Gonna need to be more specific on that one. However, I don’t believe in re-writing history to spin it in a Christian light.

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence? One day I hope to be able to boss people around at work.

What are your main messages? Treat me with respect, and I will treat you likewise.

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom? Ah what is this kingdom? Does this have something to do with the fruit of spirit X.

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul? God is in charge of determining what is and is not a lost soul and what should be done.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage? Equality, mutual love and respect.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family? See above.

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever. Mainly my teachers.

Which women/men do you admire the most and want to be like? Why? In which ways? I just want to be the best me I can be.

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential?Too many to name. All of it worldly.

What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family???????????????

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things? Pretty damn important.

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls? The only person who can guard ones soul is themselves.

Do you want children?Maybe

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? Ah no. Children are a measure of egg meeting sperm, and combining chromosomes following sexual intercourse.

How do you discipline children? Farily, but firmly.

What are the duties of children? Learn and play.

What standard of excellence are they held to? To be the best person they can be.

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts)All of the able, except for creationism, that’s just whack. Plus whatever else they want to learn.

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family? WTF?

When does corporal discipline begin? It doesn’t

How do you begin to train infants? You don’t train infants nitwit. For that matter, you don’t train children either.

What does play look like for children? Free time? Uh, they play?

Who do you want your children to grow up to be? Happy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? No. He died for us.

What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart? A child or animal no one wants, seeing anyone sad.

Who are your disciples? I'm a loner.

Who are your closest friends? Brother and boyfriend.

When did you really start to seek the Lord?Around 12.

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word? Never because I have a lot of doubts about it.

What do you believe about Salvation? God forgives everything. He's our father after all and is all loving.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? Don't think it has.

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? Books.

What do you believe about sin? What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7? Everyone has done it and God forgives all.

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing? They get on my nerves sometimes but I love them anyway. For the most part. Great!

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? A theory about religion.

How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine? You can't. Everyone has a different opinion.

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? Change is good.

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence? Not very.

What are your main messages? Be good to everyone, except assholes.

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom? Sure.

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family? Maybe, don't have a wife. maybe.

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul? Help them out if they want it.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage? Respect, love, acceptance.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family? Respect, love, acceptance.

What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish these things? Love, family, friends. Yes.

What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life? Too many to list.

Do you want children? Nope.

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? Nope.

What is your vision for the Church? To actually follow Christ and not spout hateful bullshit.

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today? It's run by asshats, homophobes, sexist people, and racists.

What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism? Unnecessary.

That's all I want to answer.

Edited for brevity and redundancy:

What do you believe about Salvation? It comes through works, not by grace. Or is that backwards?

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? When I was four and my mother beat me for stealing. Ever since, I've had amazing self-control and patience.

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? I've never been allowed to have any.

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? No! Theology should come from the heart. Oh, no, wait. The heart is desperately wicked and not to be trusted. So... what I mean is... it's a list of doctrines that you get from your dad, which you transplant into the space that your heart once occupied.

How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine? You ask your father or husband.

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? I take a prepositional view of history.

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence? As big as yours, and no bigger.

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom? Yes! I blog daily about my lifestyle choices.

What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? The hardest things you have ever done? I struggled to give up my own will, but the good news is, I am now a human rag doll.

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever. Listening to anyone other than your dad is possibly a sin.

Who were your role models and heroes? For what reasons? My dad! And as long as she was submitting, my mom!

You are the result of the influence of which people? See above!

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess? I want a manly man to lead me and appreciate my utter submission to him.

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential? Fireproof, and the Bible, and anything written by Calvin. But not Hobbes.

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things? It is the most important thing in the world, because if they turn out wrong, your whole will have been a waste.

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls? See above.

Do you want children? Hahahaha! You're funny.

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? Yes, I will be available for you even when I am not ovulating, just in case.

How do you discipline children? By denying them anything they might actually want in favor of what we want for them.

What are the duties of children? To obey their parents unconditionally.

What standard of excellence are they held to? Ours.

How do you begin to train infants? By spanking them when they show signs of individuality.

What does play look like for children? Free time? We will buy them presents from the Vision Forum catalog and punish them if they are used in gender-inappropriate ways.

What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits? In boys, femininity. In girls, masculinity. In both, rebellion.

What words or phrases are off-limits? cuss words, anything ironical, "divorce," "crap," "ass," and "no."

What is your vision for the Church? That it take over the planet.

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today? They use birth control and synthesizers and attempt to appeal to the youth.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life?

Is this a new brand of underwear, or something? I haven’t heard of it.

Clearly:

(I can't seem to get the youtube button to work -- does it need something different than the image button?)

Questions:

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? Christ died for man, I don't think he wants us to return the favor.

What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart? Seeing people in pain, whether physical or emotional or mental, breaks my heart.

Who are your disciples? I have no disciples.

Who are your closest friends? My husband and many others.

When did you really start to seek the Lord? I've been seeking the lord most of my life. It's an on going process.

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word? ...Really?

What do you believe about Salvation? Accept Christ. Done.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? I like fruit!

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? sin is sin. When did we start ranking them?

What do you believe about sin? What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7?

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing? My family is flawed and that's ok. They are my family, not my friends. My brother is ding great! He's one of the smartest people I know and in seminary right now. He may become *gasp* Catholic!

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? Theology is just an excuse for people to argue.

How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine?

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? Question them, Question them, Question them!

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence? not very. like, at all.

What are your main messages? Love!

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom? Love.

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family? Uh, sure?

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul? Love them, care for them.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage? Loyalty and respect.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family? Respect.

What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish these things? 'Blessings' is an overused word.

What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life? Everything has shaped who I am today.

What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? The hardest things you have ever done? Still working.

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever. I'm not a follower/

Who were your role models and heroes? For what reasons? Batman.

You are the result of the influence of which people? Everyone influences me even when I don't notice.

Which women/men do you admire the most and want to be like? Why? In which ways? Me.

Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself? Awesomeness.

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess? Compassion.

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential? I read everything and watched amazing cartoons like Muppet Babies, Garfield and Power Rangers.

What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family? To be a family. Really, what else is there?

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things? Pretty important.

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls? That's God's job.

Do you want children? Yes.

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? No.

How do you discipline children? Appropriately.

What are the duties of children? To be kids.

What standard of excellence are they held to? Have High Expectations.

Where would we set expectations for them? Where appropriate.

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts) Way more than that.

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family? Like any other child.

When does corporal discipline begin? it doesn't.

How do you begin to train infants? Never.

What does play look like for children? Free time? The same. Let them be kids.

What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits? Arrogance and attitudes of superiority. Meanness.

What words or phrases are off-limits? Swear words.

What are the things you appreciate most about the way your parents raised you? They let me be a kid for as long as I wanted.

What would you do differently from your parents? Follow through, no spanking or yelling.

Who do you want your children to grow up to be? Whatever they want.

How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc. Um, do it.

What is your vision for the Church? community.

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today? arrogance and turning a blind eye to those in need.

What do you think a Biblical Church looks like? How is it structured? Community.

What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism? It doesn't matter.

What is the role of music in worship and the Church? Important.

Sorry for the redundant edits - I'm not A's smart as my phone is!

Re: Cross-examination, indeed!

Yay! I was lurking around here yesterday after I noticed this posted on Western Conservatory to see if you all had snarked on this yet, so glad to see you don't disappoint. What is hilarious is that they actually seem to think these are hard questions. Uh, what's hard about reciting the party line you've been rehearsing all your life?

Interesting sidenote: I think the latest post (about sociopaths and courtship) from Ben's cousin (one of the ones we talked about on the yuku forum) might be in response to this. The timing seems suspicious. Quote: "There are times, however, when the “courtship†model, and hierarchy in general, actually contribute to the thing it’s trying to prevent — becoming entangled with unfit life partners. Sociopathic and certain other aberrant behavior is relatively easy to mask in such situations, and in structured environments where there is an obviously-expected answer, it’s harder to spot a phony."

Here's the link to cut and paste: missthewind.blogspot.com/2011/08/sociopaths-and-authoritarian-lifestyles.html[\quote]

1000 thanks to Olive for providing The Other Botkin Gal's blogspot (missthewind)

The essay shoul be required reading for all dominionist families!

Last edited by Olive Plant on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Olive P has given U's an essay that should be made available to every dominionist young woman, her mother and certainly her father. The Other Botkin who blogs at missthewind very evidently sees the hazards that her cousins face and exposes them plainly. Thanks to Olive for posting the link!

Wow, I am way too lazy to READ all these questions, let alone answer them. Guess I'd never get married if I were a Botkin. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? Uh, probably not seeing as I'm not Christian.

What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart? The pain humans can inflict on each other and "lesser" animals. The compassion they can show to each other and "lesser" animals.

Who are your disciples? Me.

Who are your closest friends? No gonna name them cause this is the interwebz and not private, but there are a few.

When did you really start to seek the Lord? Well, I tried desperately for a few years when I was younger. Then I came to realize that either he doesn't exists, or he doesn't really care much about what people do.

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word? First I have to read the Word...

What do you believe about Salvation? I believe that good people are rewarded and bad people suffer, and sometimes it's the other way around.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? Come again?

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? Well, besetting is constantly troubling or attacking, so mine would be the desire to just hate most people and wish they'd all go to hell.

What do you believe about sin? What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7? I believe we all do things we shouldn't, the important part is learning from our experiences and figuring out how to prevent ourselves from doing it again. Well... I like the "no judging others" part...

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing? My family is annoying, frustrating, and occasionally dumb, but I love them all. All of my siblings are doing well, though one is having some trouble dealing with a death in the family.

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? Theology... The study of religious beliefs,texts, doctrines, practices etc.

How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine? Um you have to figure out what you believe and then make personal rules about how to behave?

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? Some I like, some I don't like. Most of the ones I like are not of Christian making...

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence? Not to sure what you're asking, but my discipline making influence is me. I hold myself to different standards with the understanding that I know what I did and why I did it and I still have to live with myself afterwards. It works, hell it almost lost me a mark on one of my midterms.

What are your main messages? Peace, love, and happiness. :happy-hippy: legalize it :obscene-smokingweed: an love mother nature (couldn't find a smilie to fit so just imagine someone sitting in an untainted forest, meditating as a gentle breeze caresses her hair).

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom? Which kingdom? I know of many kingdoms, but the only Monarchy I feel even remotely connected to is ruled by a Queen.

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family? Myself yes, my family it's up to them, my wife... I don't have one... Yet :gay-rainbowflag: :icon-twisted:

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul? Return it to the shoe from whence it came.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage? Um... At least two people?

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family? Hm... At least two people?

What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish these things? When the Evangelicals on the street walk past me without shoving their flyers in my face. And yes I do desire and cherish it.

What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life? Everything that has happened to me up to this point has had an effect on who I am.

What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? The hardest things you have ever done? Fear. Intense, irrational fear of spiders mainly.

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever. Friends, family.

Who were your role models and heroes? For what reasons? Well... I always wanted to be Superman, and Link, and maybe a little bit Bart Simpson. Cause they are cool, and Bart's not afraid to put on a pair of heels and strut around.

You are the result of the influence of which people? Um... Everyone who has touched my life?

Which women/men do you admire the most and want to be like? Why? In which ways? *shrug*

Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself? Strength, independence, the ability to stand up for what I believe is right even when it seems like no one else would listen to me.

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess? Same sort of things. I want someone who isn't afraid to speak up, who can be my rock when I need it, and who is man (or woman) enough not to feel their gender is being challenged by someone outside of the norm.

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential? I grew up reading a whole lot, watching a whole lots, listening to a whole lot... Let's see... Nancy Garden, Tamora Pierce, S.E. Hinton, J.K. Rowling. Films? Saved!, Mona Lisa Smile, The Fox and the Hound.

What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family? Family is intended to guarantee unconditional love. I know it's not always the case, but I can't consider someone family if their love for me has conditions.

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things? Very.

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls? Very, since they are going to be the ones taking care of me when I'm old and incapable of caring for myself.

Do you want children? Yes.

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? No... Well... They are a blessing, but they don't indicate how much God favours you.

How do you discipline children? Babies and younger children, well before they can crawl/walk they don't really need discipline, they need someone to meet their needs. Then they need someone who can redirect them when they are getting into something dangerous. Then they need someone who will get down to their level and help them understand why something is right and why something is wrong. Then they reach a point where they need someone to provide the framework so they can make their own decisions, then they need someone they can go to with things go wrong to help them work out the issue, or someone who can be a sounding board for the issue at hand so they can work it out themselves.

What are the duties of children? Learn and play and grow and have fun doing it all.

What standard of excellence are they held to? The best they can be.

Where would we set expectations for them? I expect them to learn to be an autonomous human being who can go against the grain when need be and fight for the little guy.

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts) The basics, reading, writing, math. Then there is science, history, the arts, problem solving and critical thinking, compassion and empathy, any anything else they find themselves interested in.

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family? Unsaved children are no better or worse than saved children. All children deserve the respect and dignity afforded to all humans.

When does corporal discipline begin? Never.

How do you begin to train infants? Train... infants? Dude, they can't even be bad...

What does play look like for children? Free time? Play looks fun. If you see a child doing something and think "I wish I could join in" than it's all good.

What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits? Selfishness (to an extent, there are times when it is a good thing), aggressiveness, rude or discriminatory tendencies.

What words or phrases are off-limits? Faggot, retard, that is so gay, gypped, jewed, pretty much anything that uses another person in a negative way. Racist language, swearing at people, stuff like that.

What are the things you appreciate most about the way your parents raised you? They treated me like a human being with a brain of my own.

What would you do differently from your parents? I would be more careful about favouritism.

Who do you want your children to grow up to be? What ever makes them happy.

How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc. Live by the same standards I set for them.

What is your vision for the Church? Don't really have one. Probably because I don't have a church.

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today? You want a list?

What do you think a Biblical Church looks like? How is it structured? Open, accepting, teaching and operating by the love that God has for all his children.

What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism? What ever, if it floats your boat, and please don't.

What is the role of music in worship and the Church? Well, on a spiritual level I think that music helps me to connect with my self and learn about myself. It also allows me to connect with and learn about others. I feel that music can help the spiritual, emotional, and cognitive growth of a person if they let it.

I probably got kicked out of the possible-spouse race with the first question.

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? I hope I would

What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart? Seeing people in need bothers me. Lots of things make me happy.

Who are your disciples?

Who are your closest friends? My best friend and my family.

When did you really start to seek the Lord? Probably high school, still working on it everyday.

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word?

What do you believe about Salvation? By grace through faith in Jesus

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? Too much time on Freejinger?

What do you believe about sin? What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7? Sin is bad.

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing? Good

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? How people view God and his relation to people.

How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine? Books. What God tells me the BIble says.

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? Which ones?

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence?

What are your main messages? Love others as yourself

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom?

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family? I am responsible for myself.

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul? Love them

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage? Respect, Love

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family? Respect, Love

What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish these things? Family, friends, needs met. Obviously if they are blessings I cherish them.

What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life?

What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? The hardest things you have ever done?

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever.

Who were your role models and heroes? For what reasons?

You are the result of the influence of which people?

Which women/men do you admire the most and want to be like? Why? In which ways?

Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself? Patience, more understanding and compassion.

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess? Don't be mean.

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential?

What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family? Love God, other people, and grow up to be productive and decent.

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things? Very important...what else could I say?

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls? Very important.

Do you want children? Yes

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? God determines fertility.

How do you discipline children? Take away non essential things.

What are the duties of children? Age appropriate tasks.

What standard of excellence are they held to? The best they can do.

Where would we set expectations for them? In all the important areas (these questions are weird!)

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts): Everything

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family? Love them and pray.

When does corporal discipline begin? Um...

How do you begin to train infants? Don't

What does play look like for children? Free time? Age appropriate...whatever as long as it is safe.

What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits? Arrogance, cruelty

What words or phrases are off-limits? Swearing, anything offensive

What are the things you appreciate most about the way your parents raised you? They let me be me.

What would you do differently from your parents? Don't know...

Who do you want your children to grow up to be? Whatever they are meant to be.

How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc. Be a good role model

What is your vision for the Church? People love one another.

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today? Isolating certain groups.

What do you think a Biblical Church looks like? How is it structured?

What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism? Lead through example for evangelism. Other things are just things.

What is the role of music in worship and the Church? To worship God, whatever the people are comfortable with.

Phew...that was interesting. I don't think I passed.

Figured I had the time to read and answer all of the questions so I would:

1. Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then?

Yes, but to die daily makes no sense to me.

2. What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart?

The injustices in the world. Too many to name

3. Who are your disciples?

Umm. I don't know

4. Who are your closest friends?

Friends from 2nd grade, and two I made in college

5. When did you really start to seek the Lord?

Not too long ago

6. When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word?

Same as question 5

7. What do you believe about Salvation?

That it's through Jesus based on Faith

8. When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life?

Awhile ago

9. What is a besetting sin? What are yours?

umm, too much internet use

10. What do you believe about sin? What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7?

That it is all equal, and I haven't read Rom. 6 and 7 recently to know what they talk about

11. What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing?

I like most of my family, could do without a few members. Not really with some of them. My siblings are doing fine.

12. What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines?

Not just a list of doctrines but too much for this small space

13. How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine?

Read your religious text.

14. What is your attitude towards historically held positions?

Depends on which positions, some are still good, some are not.

15. How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence?

Not big right now

16. What are your main messages?

Love others, like Jesus loved

17. Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom?

Hopefully

18. Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family?

Yes

19. What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul?

So show them Christ's love but not beam them over the head with religious intolerance.

20. What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage?

Treating each other like equals

21. What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family?

Haven't thought that far ahead

22. What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish these things?

The Earth that He created, Children, people in general...

23. What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life?

Some things that have defined who I am? Childhood crap and overcoming it.

24. What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? The hardest things you have ever done?

Leave a bad situation, decide to leave everything I know and the country I grew up in to move in with my dad.

25. Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever.

An older lady in my church, my dad

26. Who were your role models and heroes? For what reasons?

Mostly book characters since they have been my constant friends and heroes since I learned to read and my grandma

27. You are the result of the influence of which people?

My parents and friends

28. Which women/men do you admire the most and want to be like? Why? In which ways?

Pam, and Suzanne for numerous reasons

29. Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself?

Many

30. What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess?

Again, many

31. What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history,

theology, anything.

All of the above, my mom didn't limit my access to the library. It kept me out her hair.

32. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential?

Way too many to name

33. What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family?

To love unconditionally, the same.

34. How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things?

Really important to me at least

35. How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls?

Very, Children should be protected and allowed the freedom to make their own decisions.

36. Do you want children?

Yes

37. Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give?

I'll get back to this later

38. How do you discipline children?

Love them

39. What are the duties of children?

To play, be children

40. What standard of excellence are they held to?

Treat others as you want to be treated

41. Where would we set expectations for them?

I'll come back to this when I get to that point in life

42. What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts)

All of the above plus much more.

43. How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family?

The same as a saved one, love them unconditionally

44. When does corporal discipline begin?

Never

45. How do you begin to train infants?

You don't.

46. What does play look like for children? Free time?

Children should be allowed to be children all the time not just in free time so they would be "playing" all of the time to some extent

47. What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits?

Whiny and intentionally meanness

48. What words or phrases are off-limits?

Why would I say them to you?

49. What are the things you appreciate most about the way your parents raised you?

That I survived and that when I really needed one of them they were there for me.

50. What would you do differently from your parents?

A lot!

51. Who do you want your children to grow up to be?

Who ever they want to be, I'll support them

52. How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc.

Huh?

53. What is your vision for the Church?

That it should become more like Jesus would have wanted instead of what it is today

54. What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today?

To much money, it corrupts and church's don't seem to remember that

55. What do you think a Biblical Church looks like? How is it structured?

I don't know.

56. What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism?

Still deciding.

57. What is the role of music in worship and the Church?

That is cool with me

That thing is really long. They really asked each other all these questions and more? My first job interview was shorter than this

Would you be willing to die for Christ? I don't know. I'm not in that situation and I don't expect to be in it. I am focusing on today's problems as Jesus directed.

If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? Dying to self is not training for hypothetical martyrdom. Dying to self is practicing humility, charity, and the other virtues that turn our attention away from ourselves.

What breaks your heart? The pervasiveness of rape culture. The pervasiveness of indifference or outright malice and contempt toward the poor, sick, disabled, and old. The pervasiveness of punitive child training that seeks to break and crush the spirit of God within a child.

What delights your innermost heart? Creating something. Intense pleasure. A moment of beauty. An object that is beautiful. Glorious music.

Who are your disciples? I strive to discipline my children, that is, to treat them as the teacher treats the disciples. I don't have any adult disciples because I am not a teacher of adults in that particular emotionally intimate way.

Who are your closest friends? My husband, a couple of former classmates, the mother of one of my daughters' closest friends, an older woman who teaches Sunday school with me.

When did you really start to seek the Lord? When I took the Education for Ministry class through my local Anglican church. The course guides ordinary laypeople through a year each of Old Testament, New Testament, church history, and theology, with plenty of solitary meditation and group discussion (midrash).

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word? If by "Word" you mean "Bible," God keep me from the sin of bibliolatry. If by "Word" you mean John's metaphor of Jesus the Word of God, I was raised to obey Jesus' teachings from a very young age. Striving to do so is the daily, lifelong task of the Christian, isn't it?

What do you believe about Salvation? There is a gulf between us and Heaven that we can't cross on our own. God holds out a hand to us. We take it or we don't. The ability to reach back to God is one of God's free gifts. But we are also free to say no.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? You mean "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control?" Should I know an exact date? Isn't the proper question, "Am I bearing the fruit of the Spirit right now, in this present situation?"

What is a besetting sin? Muck a person can't ever seem to scrape off.

What are yours? Not your concern.

What do you believe about sin? Human beings can't behave with perfect virtue and righteousness; that's the nature of life in this broken world. We are born with the tendency to sin and sooner or later we learn how from the people in our lives--usually our parents. However, we can repent and start again, renewed.

What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7? That they are two arbitrary divisions (applied centuries later, to help readers navigate the text) in a long letter that was written by the Apostle Paul by way of introducing himself to the congregation in Rome ahead of his arrival. That they contain passages in which Paul discusses the relationship of a Christ-following Jew with the Law, the pervasiveness of sin, and the nature of grace.

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing? Not your concern.

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? Theology is the Queen of the Sciences as she has always been. Theology is the attempt by human beings to explore the infinity of Godhead with the tools of human reason.

How do you get doctrine? By learning it from my teachers.

How do you determine right doctrine? By learning the tools of discernment: study, meditation, prayer, and debate.

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? Discerning. (Does "historically held positions" have a particular meaning for the composer(s) of this list?)

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence? I want to raise children who are confident of the love of God, determined to grow to the measure of the fullness of the stature of Christ, and willing to listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

What are your main messages?

Someday, up in glory,

I'll weep and tell my story

To Someone who will smile and say,

"You're a mess, but you're My child."

"We are beggars; that is true. Alleluia!"

Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will lift me up.

Nothing can separate us from the love of God.

Don't bury your talents. You were given them for a reason.

From all that terror teaches,

From lies of tongue and pen,

From all the easy speeches

That comfort cruel men,

From sale and profanation

Of honor, and the sword,

From sleep and from damnation,

Deliver us, good Lord!

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom? I certainly hope so, seeing that this is the mission of every Christian. After all, the kingdom of God is within us.

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family? Am I supposed to be a husband and father in order to fill this thing out? So far, I haven't seen any questions that are only applicable to men. My husband's spiritual growth is not mine to direct as mine is not his to direct. We share in raising our children as Christians. I also do my best to pass on the elements of our faith to my Sunday school students, understanding that I only present the subject material--it's up to the children's parents to explore it further with them, since they're only with me a couple of hours a week.

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul? Doesn't quite parse. Must be an unfamiliar dialect of Christianese. Are we talking about people who feel lost? My duty to God is to treat hurting, frightened, or desperate people with charity, hospitality, and compassion.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage? Fidelity, charity, mutual submission, and patience. Honoring Christ means treating fellow members of the body of Christ as just that.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family? Charity, patience, gentleness, self-control, and respect. Again, honoring Christ means treating fellow members of the body of Christ as just that. Our children are subordinate to us for a short time. That does not make them lesser beings.

What are things you see as God's blessings? How many terabytes do you have? Should I start with the things I see out of my window right now or the ones I see when I turn around and look into the house?

Do you desire and cherish these things? What's Christianese for "duh?"

What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life? Not your concern. You keep asking questions that can only be answered in the context of a relationship of mutual trust. We worked on stuff like this in Education for Ministry as the Spirit moved us and remained silent as we chose. Together, in a room set aside for the purpose, with nobody standing over us ready to pass judgment or get us back in line. Who are you?

What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? The hardest things you have ever done? See above.

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever. The pastor who took me seriously when I was in great anguish as a young teen. The counselors who helped me put myself back together when my life fell apart a few years later. My husband. Older, wiser female friends. My fellow learners at EFM.

Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself? Same question, several different ways, and getting a bit personal.

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess? I didn't go out looking for a husband; I realized that I was falling in love with a good friend and I already knew that he was a decent human being. If you mean trying to make my spouse more like somebody else--No, NO, a thousand times no!

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential? C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Andre Norton, Laura Ingalls Wilder, William Blake (the earlier, non-crazy years), Anne McCaffrey (the Harper Hall trilogy)--lots and lots more-- my mother was a librarian. We didn't watch a lot of movies, but Star Wars blew.my.mind.

What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family? Love. And clean socks.

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things? We are our children's first experience of love. That's pretty fricking important.

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls? But I'm not. I teach, guide, and discipline. God guards the soul.

Do you want children? Yup?

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? Seeing as how they're people, not camels, no.

How do you discipline children? With the fruits of the Spirit.

What are the duties of children?

A child should always say what's true

And speak when he is spoken to

And behave mannerly at table,

At least as far as he is able.

Children's duties should be small, suited to their abilities, to help them practice growing up.

What standard of excellence are they held to? None whatsoever.

Where would we set expectations for them? According to their abilities.

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts) I'm using Charlotte Mason's method myself. For details go to ambleside dot org. Children should be taught how to be capable, independent adults, functioning citizens, and skilled workers in their chosen professions.

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family? I reject utterly the assumptions that underlie this question. They reduce Christianity to being a Star-Bellied Sneech.

When does corporal discipline begin?

How do you begin to train infants? NEVER. Jesus wept, you don't train a growing plant by yanking on it!

What does play look like for children? Free time? Free. Free play, free time. If they aren't hurting each other or making a mess in an off-limits area, they do as they like.

What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits? The cruel, selfish, and nasty ones.

What words or phrases are off-limits? Cussing, insulting, calling themselves or other people stupid.

What are the things you appreciate most about the way your parents raised you? What would you do differently from your parents? Intellectually, they did a great job. Emotionally and practically, not so much.

Who do you want your children to grow up to be? This is not mine to decide.

How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc. We do this every waking moment, willy-nilly. We need to watch ourselves.

What is your vision for the Church?

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today?

What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism?

What is the role of music in worship and the Church? This seems like a catechism to me. I strongly suspect that you want me to provide the proper shibboleths. I think I've already demonstrated that I won't.

Man, filling this thing out was exhausting.

Aren't the Botkins following the courtship model where you don't "give piece of your heart away" to anybody? How on God's green Earth are two people supposed to sit at opposite ends of a couch and discuss this extremely personal stuff without first becoming emotionally close? And if the parents are monitoring the whole thing, it does become an exercise in reciting shibboleths.

Rrrrgh. What a ridiculous Rube Goldberg attempt to direct what God put into our hearts when He made us.

Aren't the Botkins following the courtship model where you don't "give piece of your heart away" to anybody? How on God's green Earth are two people supposed to sit at opposite ends of a couch and discuss this extremely personal stuff without first becoming emotionally close? And if the parents are monitoring the whole thing, it does become an exercise in reciting shibboleths.

Rrrrgh. What a ridiculous Rube Goldberg attempt to direct what God put into our hearts when He made us.

Right, like, can you imagine being merely acquainted with someone and having them ask you these questions?

Q: What is the hardest thing you've ever have to deal with?

A: Well, basically-a-total-stranger person, [horrible thing]

Questions:

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then?

Why should I die for Christ? He died for me

What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart?

Child abuse breaks my heart. I delight in the fact that I have love in my life

Who are your disciples?

My animals

Who are your closest friends?

A person i have known since I was 3 years old. A girl I met my first day of high school.

When did you really start to seek the Lord?

There was never a need to seek, he's always been there for me without asking

Because the BIBLE tells me so

What do you believe about Salvation?

If I am true to my beliefs, I am saved

When I learned to be good to others

What is a besetting sin? What are yours?

I don't believe in besetting sins. We are all fallible there fore we sin

I prefer Roman's 8-9

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing?

I enjoy my family. My brother and I have mended fences. I love my mom.

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines?

The systematic study of religion, doctrines are part of theology but don't drive it

Certainly not by being a know it all at 19

What is your attitude towards historically held positions?

Those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat mistakes.

Why?

And the greatest of these is to love your neighbor as yourselves

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom?

Not as much as when I was younger

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family?

We grow daily in season

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul?

I won't condemn anyone because I don't have knowledge of their relationship to Christ

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage?

Raise your children to believe in a God of Love not of anger

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family?

I don't know

What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish these things?

Good health, good friends, enough to meet our daily needs

What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life?

Losing my father at age 11. Growing up and learning that life isn't always fair.

What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? The hardest things you have ever done?

Marital problems

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? As a child, adult--whenever.

My extended family, my churches and my friends.

My mom who went back to school right before my dad died to learn anesthesia and make more money. My grandmother who raised 9 kids. My father who was raised in a Strict German Lutheran home.

too many to count

People who stood up for other's rights at the risk of their own lives

Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself?

Love of God

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess?

Honestly, loyalty, equality

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential?

Too many to count.

What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family?

My family has grown. They are their own people. We can lead by example but they have to make their own way

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things?

As the cheesy song goes, children are our future

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls?

We aren't, they are their own people

Do you want children?

BTDT

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give?

What a stupid question

How do you discipline children?

Time out, a swat on the behind,

To be children and experience everything they can

What standard of excellence are they held to?

Certainly not yours

Where would we set expectations for them?

To achieve their best

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts)

Everything they want to know and study

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family?

That is between them and their belief system

Never

How do you begin to train infants?

Why ? They aren't cats

What does play look like for children? Free time?

Free play, structured play, being kids

What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits?

You can't beat a trait out of a child. Obviously hitting and hurting another child or sibling

What words or phrases are off-limits?

Depends on the time and place.

What are the things you appreciate most about the way your parents raised you?

To think for myself

What would you do differently from your parents?

It was a different time

Who do you want your children to grow up to be?

Smart, self aware, logical, and whatever they want to be

How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc.

To be a good example

Peace and prosperity and blessings

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today?

I don't see much

Not like the dominionist version

What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism?

Baptism is necessary for the remission of sin. Communion is a gift given to us by the Lord.

What is the role of music in worship and the Church?

To glorify and edify God.

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then?

Nope

Cocaine works for both, although I haven't personally tried it. I suppose any stimulant would work.

Who are your disciples?

huh?

Who are your closest friends?

My friends

When did you really start to seek the Lord?

Never have. I thought I might like to be a nun once. Then I learned two things: 1.) Nuns are mean and 2.) I can do charity work without believing in things that make zero sense.

Say the word and you'll be free. The word is love.

I don't.

Huh?

I don't know. Um, I'm pretty addicted to food. Can't live without it.

I don't know.

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing?

Haven't talked to my parents in 3 weeks. Haven't talked to my 1/2 sister in 10 years. I think they are fine.

It's the study of religions.

I have my own belief system. It's based on the philosophy of "all people are created equal" and "respect"

I odn't understand the question

I'd feel rather creepy if I had disciples.

Respect each other's bodies, property. Be kind. Do not poke a sleeping dragon in the eye.

I have an excellent job and I hope that through it I am creating both education opportunities for undeserved communities and helping to create new employees for major employers. But mostly I want to help kids who are questioning their future find something they like, whether it's the direction I'm "supposed" to push them in or not.

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family?

Not really. I don't really know what "spiritual" means, outside of people who meditate with crystals and things.

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul?

What is a soul anyway?

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage?

Marriage between three adults, one of whom is unable to consent, is still illegal in all 50 states.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family?

That sounds really creepy.

What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish

There's a song that says God blessed texas, so I guess he can have it. I've never been but it sounds awful. (No offense to anyone who lives in Texas. My imagination shows it as a barren desert full of cowboys and confederate soldiers, country music, and football fields. It's a mashup of various things I've seen in books and on tv. Oh and mega churches)

I moved a lot as a kid. I still have a hard time creating roots and making friends. My parents lost their house right before the market collapsed, so I'm kind of a hoarder about some things. Also I did a year of Peace Corps, which was amazing and eye opening and depressing and now I have a severe debt problem.

I have more drama than TBS.

What's a discipler?

Books. I read a lot as a kid. The characters impacted my life and thoughts more than anyone else, really.

As a kid? Venus Williams - she practiced so much and her parents seemed to actually care about her. I loved reading anything about her, as I had delusions of becoming a child tennis star as well, and then we could be friends.

My parents, my grandparents, and various book characters and tv characters.

I'd really like to be more like any number of democratic female politicians. Or even my state senator who is a republican, but she's so smart and hard working. I'd like to be more hard working and less worried about my makeup/pants/shoes/hair/design/car/anythingatallthatisntright.

Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself?

Didn't I just do that? I'd like to be better with my money and I'd like to be less anxious about everything.

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess?

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anythingl.

I read a lot of babysitter's club. It taught me important things, such as "continue on is redundant" and multiculturalism. Also I love Harry Potter. I also enjoy classic works of fiction, memoirs, books about different religions, and Newberry Award winners. Other favorites include The Phantom Tollbooth, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankenwiner, The Golden Compass, On Writing, and the Trixie Beldon series

Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential?

Salinger (love all of his works), Irving (loved A Prayer for Owen Meany), King (love that he writes crap and makes a ton of money. Also some of the non filmed short stories are great for suspense), Almost Famous (watched it a thousand times in high school/college), Kevin Smith movies, documentaries on religion and the environment, documentarys on music groups

The best families are those with lots of love, that share the love with the world. Teach your family to love others as themselves. Just because a family isn't "traditional" doesn't mean it's any better or worse than another family.

Children are our future, but it is possible to have a family without them. There will always be those who bring children into the world. Let's accept those who don't as equally worthy of life.

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls?

What is this soul that you speak of?

Do you want children?

I did. But more than that I've always wanted to adopt. We had to have my foster brother placed in a different home when he started being more than my parents could handle, and while I know it was the right thing to do, I wish we could have adopted him earlier and gave him a better shot at life. He died from kidney failure at the age of 24. The kidney failure was caused by the abuse he suffered from his biological parents, and he also had some serious mental challenges to overcome. On his good days, he was awesome. We were there for him, but he just couldn't live with us anymore.

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give?

No

Time-outs, appeal to reason, punishments that are relevant to the crime, loss of privileges, 6 - 10 time positive reinforcement for every negative.

To learn how to be citizens, and have a lot of carefree fun. By learning to be citizens, I mean to learn how to respect other people's bodies and property, and to respect themselves.

What standard of excellence are they held to?

I'm actually pretty tough. I expect children to develop a love of learning, confidence, and I have high expectations. All children are people, and should behave as such.

Where would we set expectations for them?

School - I don't believe that any child should fail a class in any public school in the US. I expect them to try and be polite and kind.

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts)

Reading, English, History, Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), at least try to learn to play an instrument or voice lessons, at least one sport prior to high school, Maths, Art, and Social Sciences. At least one foreign language, and obviously to cater it around their strengths and interests. I expect them to try, but if they show exceptional skill in some area or a complete lack of skill in others, I wouldn't force it. But being well rounded is important to their future.

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family?

NEVER let them feel unwanted or less worth of love and attention. DO NOT SEND A NON CHRISTIAN HOME JUST BECAUSE HE OR SHE ISN'T CHRISTIAN.

NEVER

THEY ARE INFANTS YOU SICK F***

Like play. It should be play time. Free time is free time. If my kids are like me, (and I actually hope they aren't), they will spend it reading or playing sports.

Whining, mumbling, snobbiness

I'm pretty liberal with language, although it is kind of off putting to hear small children cussing.

To respect all people, regardless of where they come from or their beliefs. I also love that my parents gave me lots of opportunity to do things that I liked to do, taking me to sports practices, extra tutoring, lots extracurricular activities. They also NEVER turned away any of my friends and made our home a very welcoming place to hang out, with lots of food and videos. They also didn't hang out with us and let us be kids. I love that I was raised to be independent, and they meant very well, even if sometimes home lacked the warm, loving parents that my friends had. I also like that my parents made sure that I knew that no matter what someone's transgression was, they were still welcome to come over for food. And they spent lots of money and occasionally time making sure that I had a better future and the chance to work to achieve any dream I had.

I would be more loving. If my child called and asked for advice, I might be more willing to give it, rather than guilt trip her. I also hope that I recognize her strengths and weakness and help guider her into a decision filled life, as opposed to the nomadic, semi hippy life I lead. And I'd like to think that I would be a little more strict and not let her walk all over me.

Happy, confident, and full of energy. I'd want them to know that I love them and will support them no matter what.

How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc.

I don't really do anything that I wouldn't want children to emulate. I do with I was a little more active though.

I don't have one.

they are close-minded (or hive minded), they are obnoxious, they preach islamphobia, they tend to be legalistic and a little creepy.

Um... I don't know.

Church is fine, I guess. It's a good way to meet people if you new to a community, but there are other ways to do it. I think they are old fashioned and if you are into that, that's your prerogative. I disagree with family churches, as it seems like a way to get out of paying taxes.

I think music can really liven up a ceremony.

This question confuses me. When is then? Is there a pre-determined time that Jesus will show up in front of me about to be hit by a bus and I have to save him? I thought the whole Jesus schtick was that he was dying for me, not the other way around. :?

Edited for sloppy coding

Well, I decided to look up Romans 6 and 7. According the to New International Version: 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

That actually seems pretty hopeful in terms of sin. I am no theologian or even believer but I read this passage as a kind of "try not to sin, and if you do, try not to sin anymore - and know that you're not bound to be a sinful being" type of deal. Possibly I'm reading this too optimistically.

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? No, and I don't really care to be sure of anything.

What breaks your heart? What delights your innermost heart? My heart breaks for pain and suffering in all living beings. It delights in contentment, triumph and happiness in all the same living beings.

Who are your disciples? Why would I need disciples?

Who are your closest friends? The people I love and care about who also love and care about me.

When did you really start to seek the Lord? Um, that would be never. As a pre-teen I tried to figure things out and make sense of things that didn't make sense. That included attending church for a while. That didn't last long. I was seeking answers though, not anyone's god/lord in any specific form.

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word? Who's word?

What do you believe about Salvation? I believe it is something men of religion came up with in order to scare people into being decent human beings because trusting and expecting humans to act decent just for the sake of it doesn't really come with much control by anyone else.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? You'll need to clarify that one.

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? I have absolutely no idea.

What do you believe about sin? I believe it is a man made word created and used to scare and control people. I believe 'sin' is an unrealistic set of life rules that serves only to make people feel disappointed in themselves because they will never, ever, ever be 'right' or good enough or without sin. A way to make sure people are never confident or comfortable with how they live their lives and the choices they make, thus constantly driving them back to the 'church' or bible or someone else who needs to vilify and control others.

What do you think about your family? Are you good friends? How is sibling ____ doing? My family members are who they are, just as I am who I am. Some of us get along well, some of us don't. We love each other as family, but we don't all like each other and we don't try to force a relationship if it isn't there. Three of my siblings are doing fine, as far as I know. We don't talk much or get personal about our lives. The rest, I haven't got a clue. But, you see, I have a mixed family - I have one 'full' sister, two 'step' brothers - those are the three I assume are doing well. Then I have a number of 'half' siblings - we share a father. Them? I have absolutely no idea what their lives are like and I'm fine with that. So are they.

What does theology mean? Just lists of doctrines? Not a list, but a set of ideas that have been studied, interpreted, translated and examined, and no one ever comes to the same conclusion.

How do you get doctrine? How do you determine right doctrine? Someone tells you what to believe and what is right.Usually someone in a position of power or control.

What is your attitude towards historically held positions? I am sure this is not being asked in the context I see it, so let's just say my history and beliefs surrounding it probably hit your history head on and creates a sonic boom.

How big is your vision for your disciple-making influence? I have no need or desire to make disciples so I have no vision.

What are your main messages? To whom? To the world? I don't have the influence or need to tell the world what I think. My ideas and beliefs often change. I'm pretty good with live and let live and every single person having the same rights, value and abilities as any other regardless of gender, race, religious belief, etc. No one person on the planet earth is better or worth more than any other.

Are you pursuing and involving yourself in fruitful projects that advance/build the kingdom? I live in a nation that doesn't 'do' kingdom, since there is no king or other monarch. I involve myself in what is best for me, first and foremost. Then in what is best for my family and friends. Then my community...and so on.

Are you interested in/focused on continual spiritual growth - in yourself, your wife, and your family? No, I don't have a wife, and my family's spiritual life is their business, not mine.

What is your heart towards the lost soul and what do you believe your duty to God is regarding that soul? My heart says each person gets to choose their own beliefs and I don't believe anyone on the planet is 'lost'. I also don't believe in any god so obviously I have no duty towards one... especially not a duty regarding other people for the sake of some god. If there is a god and he wants someone's 'soul', he can get it himself.

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring marriage? I don't believe in christ so how I could I possibly have any marital beliefs surrounding that which I don't believe in? And even if I did, who determines what does and does not honor this christ person?

What do you believe are non-negotiable elements of a Christ-honoring family?I don't believe in christ so how I could I possibly have any familial beliefs surrounding that which I don't believe in? And even if I did, who determines what does and does not honor this christ person?

What are things you see as God's blessings? Do you desire and cherish these things? If there is a god who made me, the biggest blessing is that I was givena brain and the ability to use it of my own accord.

What are the primary events or situations in your life that have defined who you are today--the most formulating experiences and periods of your life? I wake up, I experience life, I make choices, I move on. I learn, or try to learn, from everything. Who I am today is not who I was a year ago and not who I will be a year from now.

What have been the hardest things you have ever had to work through? Finding how to trust myself and create a life for myself after too many years in a marriage that did its damnedest to bury, destroy and kill every sense of identity and individuality I ever possessed. This is ongoing and I fail more often than not.

Who have been the main disciplers in your life and the people who have impacted and colored your life the most? I haven't had any disciplers. I had and have family and friends and mentors who have taught me, trusted me, respected me and stood by me. I've also had many people hurt me, which impacted my life in ways that are permanent and forever. I was shaped, formed and immeasurably influenced by my grandmother, who colored my world from the day I was born.

Who were your role models and heroes? For what reasons? Normal people who overcome adversity and their own kind of hell on earth to live decent, productive, happy lives.

You are the result of the influence of which people? Some good, some bad, some indifferent. Depends upon the person and the interactions/relationships between us.

Which women/men do you admire the most and want to be like? Why? In which ways? Women who have struggled and been better for it in the end.

Which qualities and personality traits do you see in other women/men that you desire to have yourself? Confidence, strength, independence, trust, contentment with life.

What personality traits and/or strengths do you see in women/men you know that you would desire for your wife/husband to possess? Respect for others. Enough confidence in themselves that views and beliefs that don't agree with his are not a threat.

What did you grow up reading/watching? What books have had the greatest impact in defining who you are--children's books, fiction, history, theology, anything. Which authors have you always most enjoyed and/or admired? What films have been influential? This is a multi part question that can't be answered without writing a thesis. I grew up watching Love Boat, Dukes of Hazard, Fantasy Island. I read anything I could get my hands on. Star Wars and Rocky and Grease were some of the 'big' movies when I was a kid but they didn't really have any influence on me. I've lived too long to be able to pinpoint anything at any point in my life that influenced me as a person for any length of time.

What is the purpose of the family/what will be the purpose of your family? The family is your history. The purpose, if such a thing can be assigned to a family, is to teach, support, respect and love each other.

How important is the upbringing of children in the grand scheme of things? For those who have children it is the most important thing they will do at the time.

How significant is it to be entrusted with the guardianship of their souls? Not important at all. A person's soul is his or her own to do what is best for them. I wouldn't ever want to be responsible for the soul of another living being.

Do you want children? No.

Do you view children as a measure of God’s favor or an added blessing that He may or may not give? No.

How do you discipline children? I don't discipline children. Since I have none, it is not my job.

What are the duties of children? Children don't have duties. They are human beings who didn't ask to be born. All duties rest with the parents. Aside from age appropriate responsibilities, as determined by their parents, as they grow and learn and develop, the only duty of a child is to be a child.

What standard of excellence are they held to? None. They are who they are and they are individuals with brains and thoughts and feelings of their very own.

Where would we set expectations for them? Expectations would change as the child changes. Expectations are determined entirely by their age, abilities, choices and preferences. Their expectations are also determined by their parents and no parents are alike so they obviously vary.

What would their education entail? (History, Science, Theology, Creation/Biology, Music/Arts) Everything and anything imaginable. I personally would not ever place a limit or set of rules upon the education of a child.

How do you treat an unsaved child spiritually and practically in the context of a Christian family? I can't honestly come up with an answer to this. It makes no sense to me and it places conditions on children and how they are treated.

When does corporal discipline begin? It doesn't.

How do you begin to train infants? You don't.

What does play look like for children? Free time? Imagination, smiles, happiness, contentment. Doing what they want to do for the sake of it and nothing more.

What attitudes or personality traits are held up as off-limits? None, unless or until something arises that creates strife in their lives. If a child is raised to respect others, most other 'traits' follow. Of course, the respect a one year old is expected to show is entirely different than the respect a 15 year old is expected to have.

What words or phrases are off-limits? Any word that is derogatory or hurtful towards others.

What are the things you appreciate most about the way your parents raised you? I was not raised with any religious beliefs and that allowed me to make my own choices. I was expected to be responsible for my own actions and choices, as well as their consequences. The demands of my childhood were about responsibilities and respect, not about my feelings or thoughts.

What would you do differently from your parents? Well, the biggest thing is that I did not and will not have kids; I won't be a parent.

Who do you want your children to grow up to be? I want all children to grow up to be and do whatever they want. It is their life and their choice.

How would we model ourselves to our children? Our lifestyles, traits, personalities, things we laugh at (or don’t laugh at), what we approve of, etc. Be a decent, respectful, individual human being. Not demanding of anyone else what I would not be willing to give or do myself.

What is your vision for the Church? I don't have visions.

What do you think are some of the main problems of the evangelical churches of today? Seriously? This is another thesis waiting to be written.

What do you think a Biblical Church looks like? How is it structured? Don't know, don't care, don't have an opinion.

What is your view on the church and baptism, the church and communion, the church and evangelism? It's all designed to influence and control others.

What is the role of music in worship and the Church? Don't know, don't care. I don't do church so what others do in their own church and lives is up to them.

Okay, I will answer some of them.

Would you be willing to die for Christ? If you're not dying daily, how can you be so sure you would then? I don’t know Christ so I don’t think I would die for him.

What breaks my heart is abused children… What delights me most is my youngest sister.

Who are your disciples? Hmm my youngest sister. She looks up to me and always asks me for advice.

Who are your closest friends? My sisters and my friend D.

When did you really start to seek the Lord? Hmm one week after I abandoned Santa Claus. Then I gave up on the Lord as well.

When did you start to obey the Word because it was the Word? Uhm never? I don’t believe in following anything from word to word, except for the law.

What do you believe about Salvation? Nothing.

When did [fruit of the Spirit x] start appearing in your life? Hmm?

What is a besetting sin? What are yours? My sin is that I eat too much sweets. However that’s one way to maintain my weight. I have always had problem with underweight.

What do you believe about sin? What do you believe about Rom 6 & 7? Sin is an act which is immoral.

These questions seem to me like questions that a seminary student would answer, not a prospective spouse. It seems like a spiritual grilling, but I don't see what the relevance is for two people who are going to be married. Do they think that if they think alike on these issues, that little things like 'does the toilet paper go over or under' all work themselves out? Having children is taken for granted. What if it turns out that one person is sterile? Do they talk to each other about what their marriage will look like if God doesn't bless them with a ton of kids?

Wonder if we should send these to the BotkinBoy's facebook as a message. He might get some insight into how stupid these questions are?

These questions seem to me like questions that a seminary student would answer, not a prospective spouse. It seems like a spiritual grilling, but I don't see what the relevance is for two people who are going to be married. Do they think that if they think alike on these issues, that little things like 'does the toilet paper go over or under' all work themselves out? Having children is taken for granted. What if it turns out that one person is sterile? Do they talk to each other about what their marriage will look like if God doesn't bless them with a ton of kids?

Yeah, I think the question about children being a measure of God's blessing actually has the "correct" answer of "if we're sterile, it's not actually our fault; it is a cross God has chosen for us."

Well, I decided to look up Romans 6 and 7. According the to New International Version: 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

That actually seems pretty hopeful in terms of sin. I am no theologian or even believer but I read this passage as a kind of "try not to sin, and if you do, try not to sin anymore - and know that you're not bound to be a sinful being" type of deal. Possibly I'm reading this too optimistically.

You're not reading it too optimistically, you are reading it how it is meant to be read, not how the robobotkins read it. :-P The Botkins want to turn everything into what WE have to do, how wicked sinful we are and how utterly impossible it is to please God... unless we buy their books and spout their propaganda! :-P

Thanks, Mamajunebug! I think somebody said over on the other thread that we should send BBot the answers to his questions just to show how silly they are. I think we should send him EXACTLY what he's looking for with the punchline: actually, we're total hypocrites. We don't believe any of this, but we're pretty sure we would pass your litmus test anyway.

I like to think I'd die for my beliefs if called on to do so BUT it is much harder to live out my beliefs with integrity and I hope I am strong enough to do so until the day I die.

Suffering and the willingness we as a species have to purposely shut our eyes and ignore it. Pretty much everything else.

Who are your disciples?

I don't have disciples. I don't have that much hubris.

I think I'll fall back on Marx here "Each according to his capacity and each according to his needs." Which means I believe that in the end, if we have done the best we could with tools we had it is enough.

I don't know what a besetting sin is.

Sin is what separates us, makes us believe that we are better and other, different and separate from the lives and world around us. It is failing to act with mercy and compassion.

If you have to ask me this, then you don't know me well enough to marry me.

Theology is the study of doctrine, creed etc... I'm not sure I get doctrine the way I get milk at the store. I seek wisdom. I think about an idea, study its ramifications for myself and others, consider if its practice will enlarge the capacity of my pathetic human heart to love myself and others. I meditate and listen for the voice inside me to answer my questions.

What positions?

I'm a lost soul. I like GPS.

Stop being a victim of rape and instead a survivor. Forgive the man who raped me.

To bring joy. To be a safe place to make mistakes.

Highly.

That depends.

To be childish. To help me remember how to be childish.

The universe is wide and deep. I would give them all the tools in my power to explore it. If I don't have the capacity to give them what they need, I will find someone who will.

WHAT?!?!?!?!??! Okay, I think I'd treat them to an ice cream cone and a walk on the beach to look for seashells.

I don't train infants, I LOVE them and meet their needs.

You must never have played to ask this question.

None, you are your own person. You have the right to be who you will.

Shucks.

They gave me the confidence and the tools I needed to create myself.

I wouldn't register to vote as a republican. Actually, that's not quite fair. In their state you have to register with a party to vote in the primaries so one of them always registers democrat and one republican so that they get all the voter information. If I lived in their state I guess my spouse and I might work out a similar arrangement. I have no idea how they vote.

Who they choose.

I don't believe I need to model myself. That assumes that who I am is insufficient. I need to be myself.

Whose church?

Patriarchy, greed, pride, unkindness, justice unmitigated by love and mercy, fear... how long can I go on?

I don't know, I don't live in biblical times.

I don't know I don't think about it.

Music has the power to enlarge and transform the soul. The more the better.

Archived