IGNORED

The "Mentor":Homemaking Is A Lost Art

Does anyone else find it creepy that she's more concerned about sons-in-law she's never met than the happiness of her own daughters?

THANK YOU. And also for use of "sons-in-law" :)

It appears that one of her fans could have used a little more instruction in grammar and spelling and maybe a little less joyful homemaking. Please tell me she isn't homeschooling her children!

Assuming she's legit and not trolling, I also don't think this is what Lori was getting at. She claims her dad cleans house! And that her brother has household chores! Those thing are for wimmin only :roll:

Dang. Here I've been teaching my daughters how to keep house because it's part of becoming a responsible adult-type person. And I've been teaching my sons how to cook and clean, too, because I will not be responsible for launching men into the world who cannot take care of themselves. I will not have it!

But I guess I've been doing it wrong.

Dang. Here I've been teaching my daughters how to keep house because it's part of becoming a responsible adult-type person. And I've been teaching my sons how to cook and clean, too, because I will not be responsible for launching men into the world who cannot take care of themselves. I will not have it!

But I guess I've been doing it wrong.

You didn't raise your sons to pout and feel put upon if they had to open and heat their own can of soup? JEZEBEL. HOW DARE YOU. They don't feel entitled to walk right past a stinking catbox and leave you to wrestle the vile thing to the bathroom and pick out the poo with the special shovel? OH, THE DEATH OF MANHOOD! *pearlclutch*

And I'm with the poster above--if homemaking is a lost art, then what exactly have I been doing for the past ten years? So I don't do it with a big old fakey smile on my face. Know what I say to that?

My mother once told me that no one would marry me for my domesticity so why bother practicing it... someone should have put me in touch with Lori for better mentoring!

Maybe the greatest gift that a mother can give to her future inlaws is to teach them pick up after themselves. If Lori is raising her sons to expect someone else to wipe their butts, I doubt her future daughter-in-laws would be thanking her!

Growing up, I hated housework and homemaking. I decided that whomever I married would have to either be able to pick up after themselves or, if they were so busy working, that they make enough so we can hire a maid! Either way, I did not want to spend the rest of my life picking up after someone else' dirty clothes, unwashed dishes and muddy shoe prints. Sorry, if I don't let my own kids get away with such behavior, why would I allow a grown man?

My mother deliberately glossed over the finer points of the "lost art" to make absolutely certain I had the time and focus to excel in K-12, college, and graduate school, because that is what was expected of me. I clearly remember her telling me that I could pay someone to do my housework but that I could never pay someone to support me and my family, nor could I outsource a good educational foundation. I left home for college at 17 knowing vaguely how to manage house affairs, but quite clear on how to function in school.

Guess what? I'm good at life inside AND outside the house. Take that, you narrow-minded bonsai woman.

Me, too. My mom wouldn't even let me cook meals at the family house because she thought I should focus on my studies. For the first year I lived alone at age 21, I had a lot of salads and omelettes and toast, but now I'm nuts about cooking and baking and meal-planning and find it's a great stress reliever. I whipped up some muffins for breakfast this morning. And it's not like budgeting, cleaning, laundry, ironing or managing other basic household affairs are part of some great mystery. These are basic adult life skills that everyone should know, whether they're male or female.

Archived