IGNORED

Preschool teacher gives kids sleeping pills

jebandpunky

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who hasn't dreamed of this? Not like it's a good idea, but we all think about doing short-sighted things...accidental pregnancies, anyone?

Unconscionable! You don't give meds to a child without a parent's consent.

At least, once every couple of years there is one of this cases, whether is a care provider or a relative. I just do not understand why would you willingly (as in a job) take care of children if their plan of action is to drugged them so they sleep.

I would like to say it's unusual, but just a few years ago my own mother suggested I dose my colicky baby and my ADHD 5 year old with Nyquil. To my horror she was like it's safe I used to do it all the time when you and your brother were little, and then she wonders why my grandparents ended up with custody.

Didn't we learn from Caylee and Casey Anthony and drugging kids to sleep is not good?

I used to give my toddlers phenergen for long train trips (10 hours) sometimes, at my doctors suggestion. It helped them sleep and prevented travel sickness.

Giving another parents child sleeping pills without their permission or a doctor's oversight is a whole other issue though.

As a former preschool teacher, this is awfully tempting, ;) but like you can't hose them down in Lysol to stop the nasty germs, you can't drug the kids. I did learn to pat the backs of three little ones to sleep at the same time. ... Both hands and one foot.

I've heard a lot of people SAY they would do this, but not a lot of people that I actually know of who WOULD. Unless you have talked to a doctor (and the parents) first, giving a child sleeping tablets is a VERY bad idea, especially since most OTC sleep meds that I know of do not come in pre-schooler dosages.

My mother-in-law admits to dosing my husband with NyQuil to treat his sleeping disorder. (Basically, he's permanently set to go to sleep at 4am and wake up at noon.) She once gave him twice the recommended dose for an adult. He's probably only alive due to obesity.

Well, now that I think about it, I know my mom gave us benadryl a few times to help us sleep. However, the youngest I remember taking it was about 12. We were also old enough to ask for ourselves. My mom didn't force us to drink benadryl to get us out of her hair.

Most OTC sleep meds are the exact same ingredient as children's benadryl in higher amounts. 1/4 of a pill would be a safe dose for a preschooler.

That doesn't excuse her for giving it to them without their parent and doctor's permission though of course. It also shows just how stupid she is, since children's benadryl would be far easier to hide in juice.

Who hasn't dreamed of this? Not like it's a good idea, but we all think about doing short-sighted things...

This. I mean, officially it's completely and utterly unacceptable, the end. Unofficially? I think anyone who has dealt with crazypants small ones - i.e., all of them, at one point or another, particularly when they're traveling in a herd - has a similar fantasy.

When the girls were younger we had to fly them cross country. Their pediatrician recommended children's Benadryl. I was horrified at the idea of drugging toddlers. :snooty:

And then the plane took off.

This is one of those things that makes me whisper to my 17 week old fetus "just stay inside, little buddy. It's nice and cozy and I'll give you all the protection you need."

I hate when those things happen :( It is one thing to help the kid go to sleep or relax or whatever, and then it is another to just drug them so you don't have to watch them or work, whatever the deal is. I know we have dosed Sevy before, but only when the pediatrician reccomended it or when she needed to just relax a bit (plane trip, etc).

Now they have some new sleep aid from Nyquil, without the medicene in it, only the stuff that knocks you out. I can't imagine WHY it took them this long to figure out that aspect of Nyquil and to realize the cash cow it is.

(sorry if my post does not make sense, I am still worn out from a long performance of Don Quixote- six more performances. Just shoot me).

I hate when those things happen :( It is one thing to help the kid go to sleep or relax or whatever, and then it is another to just drug them so you don't have to watch them or work, whatever the deal is. I know we have dosed Sevy before, but only when the pediatrician reccomended it or when she needed to just relax a bit (plane trip, etc).

Now they have some new sleep aid from Nyquil, without the medicene in it, only the stuff that knocks you out. I can't imagine WHY it took them this long to figure out that aspect of Nyquil and to realize the cash cow it is.

(sorry if my post does not make sense, I am still worn out from a long performance of Don Quixote- six more performances. Just shoot me).

The ingredient in Nyquil ZZ is Diphenhydramine, a.k.a. Benadryl.

Didn't mothers used to give baby a little alcohol to put them to sleep? I think they were referred to as "mother's little helper". I don't think the hardship of caring for young children have changed much.

The ingredient in Nyquil ZZ is Diphenhydramine, a.k.a. Benadryl.

And the knockout ingredient in regular Nyquil is doxylamine succinate.

They know people are going to be dosing their kids with it is the only reason they didn't use the doxylamine which AFAIK doesn't have a liquid formulation on the market because it's dangerous to kids.

Didn't mothers used to give baby a little alcohol to put them to sleep? I think they were referred to as "mother's little helper". I don't think the hardship of caring for young children have changed much.

I'm pretty sure that was a tinture of opium.

my MIL used whiskey for her kids and urges me to do the same. There are times that it is tempting but I could never actually drug my child just to make them sleep.

Edited because I do give them medicine when they are sick and at first it read like I didn't do even that.

Phenergan is an anti-psychotic drug. Granted in a very small dose. It is totally contra-indicated in children.

WHY if you want to sedate your kid or travel with them would you feel the urge to drug them?

ETA sedate being not good either. Just read the thread. WHY?

Mother's little helper = Valium.

Phenergan is an anti-psychotic drug. Granted in a very small dose. It is totally contra-indicated in children.

Phenergan (Promethazine) was once used as an anti-psychotic, but for many decades has been used primarily for nausea/vomiting, motion sickness, anti-tussive (coughing) when combined with codeine, as an anti-histamine, and for surgery-related sedation.

WHY if you want to sedate your kid or travel with them would you feel the urge to drug them?

ETA sedate being not good either. Just read the thread. WHY?

Phenergen is marketed here in a liquid formula as a travel sickness aid and mild sedative, specifically for children. As I mentioned, it was given at their doctor's recommendation.

As to why - traveling with a four year old, three year old and an infant on a train for ten hours once a month so their father could have access visits. Because it is a more pleasant experience for them to sleep for the trip than to be travel sick and unable to settle. And because it allowed me to care for the infant instead of chasing over tired travel sick toddlers.

I have to say 2 days ago with a 4 year old and a 1 and a half year old keeping each other awake I may have fantasized about drugging them... or tying them to the bed so they could not get out... but..... it is not the right thing to do ... (I can totally understand travel as a reason) but even though over tired sleep deprived moms may fantasize about doing something like that ... it is just crazy that someone at a daycare would :(

Archived