IGNORED

Woman Threatened For Saying Men Should Be Taught Not To Rape

debrand

men in war zones/pow camps and slavery likely do and prisons sure do.

Those are singular circumstances and not a part of a normal every day existence. You cannot compare that to what most women experience just as a part of living their lives and trying to stay safe and unmolested.

Were I to guess, I would guess that male on male rape is more common than female on male and that is equally unreported and under prosecuted. There was a male on male serial rapist in Texas a few years ago and theydidn't seem to have standard methods to deal with it and expected that more than the 5 known victims were out there, unwilling to come forward.

Not to mention our country seems to ignore, joke about or view as "part of the punishment" male on male prison rape.

Highly stigmatized, too. I have a male friend who is a survivor of rape and incest who, so far as I know, has never gotten proper therapy or support, despite some pretty clear ongoing PTSD. (His mother's response was along the lines of, "I don't believe you! Why are you trying to tear our family apart?" He doesn't expect to be believed. And he is really afraid that if he tells someone, they will think he didn't fight back enough, and will hold him in contempt for "allowing" himself to be raped.)

Perpetrators can stop rape by not raping anyone. And men who are not rapists can help by recognizing that rape is a crime, not a joke, and saying so publicly, because men who commit rape against women (statistically the largest category of perpetrators) do not listen to what women have to say about the importance of consent. If they did, they would not be rapists.

Lets arm all the little children that are raped in the church. They should be issued guns to protect them from priests. and relatives.

I read the article she wrote and she makes some very valid points. I do think we have a "boys will be boys" attitude towards rape and that some aspects of our culture need to change, esp. the objectifying of women. I think the teaching she proposes has value and may prevent alot of rapes. But it won't eliminate rape.

We do a great job educating kids about killing people, right? Ask a random bunch of 6 year olds if it is ok to kill someone and the overwhelming majority of them will say no. Likewise, our society teaches that it is not OK to have sex with children and definately not ok to have sex with your own children. It is an absolute cultural taboo. And yet, people murder and have sex with children. They know it's wrong. They do it anyway. Rape is the same way. Some people might not do it if they were better educated, and some will do it anyway because they want to. No amount of education is going to stop that.

worst threaten to gang rape common sense into me. Charming.

People threatened to gang raped her for telling rapists not to rape

Where have you been, debrand? Of course it's acceptable to threaten women with gang rape when they say things you don't like. It's the dark underbelly of chivalry, where men say we will protect you... just as long as you act like a proper woman.

Excuse me, off to go soak my keyboard in bleach...

Archived