IGNORED

Why women can't win

SpeakNow

My friend (a former fundie) posted this to FB. I thought FJers would appreciate it:

" If you save yourself for marriage you're a bore. If you don't save yourself for marriage you're a whore."

Basically, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As a someecards said, "I see, so if I don’t have sex with you I’m a prude bitch, if I use the pill I’m a slut, if I get pregnant I’m an idiot, and if I choose abortion I’m Satan. Yay.â€

*Can't figure out how to post an image on here.

And even if people don't find out about what you do or don't do behind closed bedroom doors and you don't talk about it, if you have too many children you're irresponsible, if you have too few you're selfish, and if you have none you're pitied. (And other people's judgement of too many/ too few varies between people, so you're always going to have some idiot having a go at you or at least thinking awful things about you)

I'm a grown woman in my thirties, currently single, with plenty of casual dating as well as cohabitating monogamous experience, and I still can't figure out (per our cultural norms) how many partners are "normal" or how much time should transpire between dating and sex. Not that I care in any particular way (good thing, right?), but even at this age when no one should give a crap any longer about being "popular" or whatever, you're either a slut or a prude. I don't think men, even caring feminist men, can really understand the divergent social pull women feel.

**FIGHTING THE URGE TO BEGIN FEMINIST DIATRIBE ON THE CONFLICTING MESSAGES OF POPULAR ROMANTIC MEDIA**

Ugh. Back to homework.

So you might as well do whatever you want. If anyone doesn't like it, fuck em! Or don't. That's the beauty of it. Like I tell my girls, respect yourself, protect yourself, and enjoy yourself. As long as you're not hurting anyone, who gives a flying fuck? And yes, I say flying fuck to my kids. They find it hysterical.

Archived