IGNORED

Raffle to name prayed for baby

Chicken bones

I live in SUCH a wonderful state....these parents are holding a public raffle to name their child's middle name. The $25 ticket price goes to support a Christian-based pregnancy center. (I don't really know if these people are fundy at all, it's just so...impersonal a way to name your blessing, as nice as the charity is.)

FORT WORTH — When Truett Greer Myers (also known as "Crash") came into this world, he changed his parents' lives, and all for the better.

“It's awesome, watching him grown into a little man,†said Crash’s dad, Drew Myers. In a few months, Crash will no longer be an only child.

“We prayed about it,†Myers said. “It truly is a miracle.â€

Drew and Tanya Myers of Fort Worth are holding a raffle online to name their daughter. They see the contest as a celebration of life. Conceiving hasn't been easy for the couple... The couple chose Ily for their daughter's first name, an abbreviation for "I love you." It’s a tribute to Drew's mom, who ends every letter, text and e-mail with "ILY."

The participants in the raffle will pick Ily's middle name. Here are the rules for the raffle:

No names starting with B will be accepted (they want to avoid the initials IBM or IBS if Ily marries someone with the last name "Smith")

“We already issued our first right of refusal,†Tanya Myers said. “It came from our niece, and her submission was 'Hotdog.'â€

No silly names will be allowed, but, Drew and Tanya promise they will not abuse this power.

“We are not going to refuse it because we don't like it,†Tanya said. "We want to hear the story behind it, too... that's going to make it meaningful to us.â€

Ily's middle name will be selected on July 1. There’s a $25 entry fee to take part in the raffle. The Myers said all the money will go to the Fort Worth Pregnancy Center, a non-profit, Christian-based organization that offers free pregnancy testing, ultrasounds and options counseling.

“We kind of look at it like this: A big thank you note to God,†Drew said. "He blessed us, and we are saying, 'thank you.'â€

Someone should enter to give the child Jinger as a middle name.

But seriously, way to make money off your child, why not just look through a baby name book and choose something normal. How do you pronounce Ily anyway?

Someone should enter to give the child Jinger as a middle name.

But seriously, way to make money off your child, why not just look through a baby name book and choose something normal. How do you pronounce Ily anyway?

My guess would be "ill-ee", like Lily without the L on the front. But they might go with something like Ellie to make it sound more normal.

The whole thing seems kind of stupid to me. If you're going to make people pay $25 for the dubious honor of giving a middle name to some random child, you might as well let them go for whatever they want. Hell, their first kid is called Crash and the second one is being named after an internet abbreviation...but they don't want any "silly" names :roll:

Why don't they just call him "Number Two"? That way, when they're on 13 or 14, they can keep the kids straight without having to remember all those names.

Eye-lee actually sounds kind of cute, reminds me of Celtic/Irish/Welsh names... but the spelling kills me.

Why don't they just call him "Number Two"? That way, when they're on 13 or 14, they can keep the kids straight without having to remember all those names.

This makes me think of that TV show "The Prisoner".

The whole thing seems kind of stupid to me. If you're going to make people pay $25 for the dubious honor of giving a middle name to some random child, you might as well let them go for whatever they want. Hell, their first kid is called Crash and the second one is being named after an internet abbreviation...but they don't want any "silly" names :roll:

ITA.

And even if I were richer than Croesus, I wouldn't give a cent to a Christian pregnancy center.

how is 25$ going to help a pregnancy crisis center? Are they going to spent it printing pseudo science leaflets?

I pick Charlie. :twisted: Though I won't pay $25 for it to go to some anti-choice fear-mongering clinic. Darwin and Goodyear are my inspirations.

how is 25$ going to help a pregnancy crisis center? Are they going to spent it printing pseudo science leaflets?

Probably!

If I was meaner, and if the charity wasn't a fucking pregnancy center, I'd enter. Twice. My choices? Obama or Sanger.

Fucking...as if they pulled either choice and actually honored their agreement. I wonder if you could sue them for fraud if they pulled "Sanger" but refused to honor the conditions of the raffle?

I wonder if one would have to pay twice for a two-part middle name: Peter Singer.

ETA:...Dawkins or Darwin

Archived