IGNORED

Muncks Keeping it Real / Maxwells?

johnhugh

I wonder if the latest post from I’ve been knocked up 12 times Mummy muncksquiver is a little dig again at the Maxwells?

muncksquiver.blogspot.co.uk

The saying "Keeping it Real"

has been used a lot in the last few years. I think there can be many interpretations of keeping it real. A dear friend of mine chatted with me many months ago about reading various blogs and how they often times didn't seem "real". Simply stated the blogs showed life perfect and not so real. She then spoke of the blogs that were a bit "to real" in airing dirty laundry of complaints and speaking harshly of family members.

This has been on my mind as I want people to stop by our blog and see us "keeping it real". We are a family who seeks to live like Christ, be encourager's, we love each other deeply, we seek to work as a team, we too have our ups and downs...we live in the world, and like the world we aren't perfect either. We have days and moments that aren't pretty and look like this..........

The following pics on the blog goes onto to show not very "Keeping it Real" staged photos and in one in true 7 sisters style, screwing up their faces like they are mentally challenged.

Though I am happy that Liz didn't join the Maxwell cult, I'm not going to start making them an idol either, as even though they do have 'what some would call "fun"' they drank the Kool-Aid a few years ago.

Yeah, even though they seem to enjoy life more than the Maxwells, their belief system is the same.

And they were perfectly willing to let their 20 year old daughter marry Joseph after meeting him all of 3 or 4 times and then move across the country.

So I agree. The Muncks are just a prettier version of the Maxwells.

The Muncks seem more colorful & less boring than the Maxwells. I doubt the Muncks wake up at 5am for Bible study. Does anyone know why Steve insists on such an early start? If you don't have a job or young kids to look after...what do you do from 6am-12pm?

The Muncks seem more colorful & less boring than the Maxwells. I doubt the Muncks wake up at 5am for Bible study. Does anyone know why Steve insists on such an early start? If you don't have a job or young kids to look after...what do you do from 6am-12pm?

Bible reading and chores. Like they always do.

Some people make a fetish of waking up early. As far as I know, the Maxwells go go sleep fairly early, so it's not as if they have any more productive waking hours in their day than any other normal person who wakes up later AND stays up later.

In the past they've mentioned that they like to go on their long-skirted "health" walks extremely early in the morning because there are less people on the street who might ogle them.

Yes the Maxwell family go to bed real early! I really want to know why they feel they have to get up so early r they afraid that G-d won't hear their prayers if they pray later on in the day?

I'm up every day at 5 and go to bed around 10 but my day is packed from beginning to end. I do my freelance work in the morning, take care of the pets and stuff around the house, go to work, come home, take care of the pets and stuff around the house, do more freelance work or take a class for fun and then hit the hay after a very full day. I would love to see a daily schedule for the Maxwells, especially the women. I can't imagine what could fill even half a day.

The Muncks have a more approachable, welcoming veneer but scratch the surface and it's still the same old fundie mindset, just dressed up in the occasional pair of jeans.

Guest Anonymous

The Muncks are a large family and so, far, we have only heard a few of their voices through the blog. For whatever reason, Elizabeth rejected the Maxwell lifestyle and it seems likely that she was encouraged in this by at least some of the family. I hope the younger women, at least, will be caused to think hard about the fundie lifestyle because of Elizabeth's experience, and I hope some of them break free because of it. Some journeys start with baby steps. I think the Munck family will experience the after effects of Elizabeth's bid for freedom for a long time to come and, hopefully, the Munck parents will continue to soften if and when their offspring continue to question the lifestyle.

The Maxwells, I think, are too far gone for anyone to take babysteps towards freedom. I think most of them (all, barring John, maybe but not definitely) are so deeply entrenched in the ways of Steve, that it will probably take his death for any of them to be shaken out of the stupor.

I think waking up early is just a really conservative thing. Growing up it was pounded into my head that having devotions at night wasn't good enough, you had to have them in the morning, preferably as early as possible. Even if you're not the type of person who CAN wake up that early.

Some of the Christians I have met treat getting up early as a virtue while going to bed late is some sort of sin. I can find no biblical basis for this, so I don't really know where they get it, but there you go.

Edited because I can spell.

Some of the Christians I have met treat getting up early as a virtue while going to bed late is some sort of sin. I can find no biblical basis for this, so I don't really know where they get it, but there you go.

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. From the book of.....Ben Franklin. Fundies tend to confuse/mix/muddle up American shit and Christianity.

There was a Corner where Teri talked about the bible being against slothfulness (not sure if that's an actual word), and she used this as her (biblical) reason for early to bed, early to rise.

ETA: I checked the Corners on their site, and the one I'm thinking of is not there (they round 'em up and make 'em into a book and sell them eventually), but it was entitled something like, "From Night Owl to Morning Lark". She made it sound like staying up late and then sleeping in is a sin of sloth.

There was a Corner where Teri talked about the bible being against slothfulness (not sure if that's an actual word), and she used this as her (biblical) reason for early to bed, early to rise.

ETA: I checked the Corners on their site, and the one I'm thinking of is not there (they round 'em up and make 'em into a book and sell them eventually), but it was entitled something like, "From Night Owl to Morning Lark". She made it sound like staying up late and then sleeping in is a sin of sloth.

This has never made any sense to me! Why is sleeping from, say 1am to 9am lazy or slothful? How is it any different from sleeping from say 9pm to 5am? it's 8 hours......

This has never made any sense to me! Why is sleeping from, say 1am to 9am lazy or slothful? How is it any different from sleeping from say 9pm to 5am? it's 8 hours......

Because....... Jesus!

I'm sure if the Maxwells knew how slothful the Duggar clan is they wouldn't have anything to do with them. Boob, J'Mullet and the crew are total night owls and they sleep as late as possible.

Exactly - it makes no sense at all. But it's definitely a "thing" among some people, many fundies very much included.

I wonder if it comes from some idealization of the past where it was easiest to be productive when the sun was up (and many people worked with animals, who naturally tend to wake with the sun and want fed/milked/etc at the crack of dawn) and people have just unthinkingly applied the "my ancestors were hardworking, they always woke before dawn, therefore hardworking people wake before dawn" non-logic to it? Via Ben Franklin along the way, naturally?

Wow, you remembered the title exactly! Turns it out comes up in google by that exact name: www.titus2.com/corners/moms-corner/from-night-owl-to-morning-lark.html

It's from 2007.

She never does answer the question why it's important to get up early, other than to suggest it's important to be up before your kids so they don't see you lazing around. But she gives advice on learning to get up early, INCLUDING "go to bed earlier" so yes it's very wtf, how can she not see that total sleep hours being reasonable means you're not being slothful, regardless of when those hours are?

Perhaps everyone working the night shift is just lazy? :roll:

Exactly - it makes no sense at all. But it's definitely a "thing" among some people, many fundies very much included.

I wonder if it comes from some idealization of the past where it was easiest to be productive when the sun was up (and many people worked with animals, who naturally tend to wake with the sun and want fed/milked/etc at the crack of dawn) and people have just unthinkingly applied the "my ancestors were hardworking, they always woke before dawn, therefore hardworking people wake before dawn" non-logic to it? Via Ben Franklin along the way, naturally?

I think that's exactly it. Farmers rise early, farmers are wholesome, therefore getting up early in the morning is some sort of clean, virtuous behaviour.

I woke up around 4-5 most mornings until I was about 8, but afterwards, as late as 10am. Many family members obsessed with being "wholesome" have bitched me out about it :roll:

I was just going to post something like this. 1-2am - 8-9am is my usual sleepy time. I manage to get all my wifely duties done, plus homeschool, and my own school. But I'm still slothful because I slept late, right?

Wow, you remembered the title exactly! Turns it out comes up in google by that exact name: www.titus2.com/corners/moms-corner/from ... -lark.html

Thanks GVC! It didn't occur to me to just google it. Yeah, I'm a little :oops: that I remembered that title and corner so well. I'm a little Maxwell obsessed, I admit.

Thanks GVC! It didn't occur to me to just google it. Yeah, I'm a little :oops: that I remembered that title and corner so well. I'm a little Maxwell obsessed, I admit.

Trust me, I am in NO position to criticize you for THAT! :D

I wonder if the latest post from I’ve been knocked up 12 times Mummy muncksquiver is a little dig again at the Maxwells?

muncksquiver.blogspot.co.uk

The following pics on the blog goes onto to show not very "Keeping it Real" staged photos and in one in true 7 sisters style, screwing up their faces like they are mentally challenged.

Though I am happy that Liz didn't join the Maxwell cult, I'm not going to start making them an idol either, as even though they do have 'what some would call "fun"' they drank the Kool-Aid a few years ago.

The Muncks were offended by comment re staged photos. She reposted same photos with "keeping it real" explanation for each photo.

Mama Munck posted an update to their "Keeping It Real" post; apparently someone left them a nasty anonymous comment that began with "How are you 'keeping it real' in these staged photos", but Mama Munck wrote that she chose not to publish the whole comment. I'd love to know what the rest of it was.

She re-posted the photos, added an explanation of what was going on in each one, and said only one of them was staged (the one with the kids standing in the kitchen together making silly faces).

I know that they're fundies, but I would LOVE to go to one of the Munck's birthday parties. Same with the Morton's New Year's ball thing.

Their parties do look awesome. Although I don't agree with their beliefs and way of life, I at least respect them for acknowledging their critics and answering them, unlike say Steve Maxwell. I am curious about the rest of the comment but if it was just spiteful insults and not constructive criticism then I don't blame them for not posting it.

Archived