IGNORED

Bob Beckel: Rape On College Campuses Doesn't Really Happen

doggie

My husband considers himself a Republican but votes Democrat and is for same sex marriage, free birth control, and a host of other issues that aren't normally considered Republican. I have no idea why he clings to the Republican label but he does.

My fiancee also considers himself a Republican, but is for free birth control and human rights for gays. I think the only reason he doesn't reregister as non-partisan even after both parents are now dead is that the rest of his family would completely shun him. I say that because while his mom was alive, he said he was in favor or Republican candidates when he was around her.

I went to a university located next to a notorious high crime ghetto neighborhood. The denizens of this district would regularly make their way north and hang around the campus. Some were relatively harmless; they came to panhandle or collect pop bottles. Others snatched purses, broke into vehicles, or stole laptops/phones/backpacks that the less-than-street-savvy had left lying around. And yes, there were rapes and attempted rapes. I was always very aware of which bathrooms I could and couldn't use at certain times of the day. Early mornings and after dark were the most dangerous times, as were Fridays and Saturdays when there weren't many people on campus.

I'm sure the Republicans would advise the students at my alma mater to carry a gun on campus. But there are already so many guns in that city, and I don't see the crime rate going down. Those "good guys with guns" who are supposed to swoop in and save people from the bad guys do not exist, at least not around here. Democrats like Beckel and that moron in Colorado whose name escapes me aren't helping matters, either when they trivialize rape or offer stupid solutions like whistles to ward off attackers. Truth is, in some parts of this country there has been such a complete breakdown that law and order has ceased to exist. If the police are never around to protect you, what can you do? (Rhetorical question-- if I had the solutions to all these problems, I would be running for President. :))

My husband considers himself a Republican but votes Democrat and is for same sex marriage, free birth control, and a host of other issues that aren't normally considered Republican. I have no idea why he clings to the Republican label but he does.

I am still registered as a republican because I want to vote in republican primaries in my state. In my state, the republican primary is often the real election, because often the dems don't run a candidate OR they have no demographic chance of winning if they do run a candidate.

Even so, my state's moderate republicans were nearly all voted out last summer inthe primaries. The ultra right calls them liberals, but most of the ultra right in my state wouldn't know a real liberal if one came up and kissed them.

Archived