IGNORED

Bob Beckel: Rape On College Campuses Doesn't Really Happen

doggie

well I guess GOP'ers are not the only idiots.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 ... 26173.html

Bob Beckel stunned his own co-hosts when he suggested that rape does not happen on college campuses during Tuesday's "The Five." (UPDATE: Beckel addressed the comments on Wednesday. Scroll down for more information.)

The Fox News roundtable was debating Colorado legislation that would allow women to carry concealed weapons to prevent sexual assault at colleges. Beckel was skeptical, and asked, "When's the last time you heard about rape on a college campus?"

"What?!" Kimberly Guilfoyle reacted.

"What are you talking about?" an indignant Eric Bolling said. "It's rampant."

"Oh, it's rampant?" Beckel asked. "Rapes on campus?!" Bolling responded. "Where?" Beckel wanted to know.

*bangs heads against counter

Why are the GOP so damn stupid! Seriously, the sheer idiocy of these people belong scrubbing toilets not in public office. Where their thoughts actually affect people

EDIT

Oops, I read it wrong I thought he was from the Gop, sorry

Hmm, let's see- my college roommate was raped during our freshman year. But maybe the idiots like Beckel don't think that date rape "counts" as rape? Or maybe my roommate knew what she was doing when her "date" slipped something into her drink?

Why are the GOP so damn stupid! Seriously, the sheer idiocy of these people belong scrubbing toilets not in public office. Where their thoughts actually affect people

I believe this particular stupid person is a Democrat.

I have never liked Beckel. He is an idiot. There are idiots on both sides of the aisle, but the mainstream media usually only reports on the ones with the ® next to their name.

Beckel is a Democrat. Despite what the media wants you to believe, all idiots aren't Republican.

Hmm, let's see- my college roommate was raped during our freshman year. But maybe the idiots like Beckel don't think that date rape "counts" as rape? Or maybe my roommate knew what she was doing when her "date" slipped something into her drink?

From what I've seen, usually assholes like this believe that date rape is just naive girls from the boonies who have consenual sex then go all psycho when the guy doesn't call the next day, so they "cry rape" in revenge.

Beckel is a Democrat. Despite what the media wants you to believe, all idiots aren't Republican.

Yes, quite like how all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares (in this case, substitute "rectangles" for "idiots" and “squares†for “Republicansâ€)

Actually, that was what he later clarified:

UPDATE: On Wednesday, Beckel addressed his comments, without tackling the central problem people had with them: that he appeared to be denying the very existence of college rape. Instead, he said he wished to make clear that there was no distinction between date rape and any other kind of rape. "Rape is rape," he said.

Which makes what he said even worse. If he does understand that date rape and coerced rape are still rape, how could he possibly deny they happen on college campuses?

A news story about a rape that occurred on my college campus in 2011.

Another announcement about one from 2012.

Discussion about the idea that this particular university under-reports and dismisses rape claims.

He is such an idiot. Politicians should stick to saying "rape is bad and it is never the fault of the person being raped." because everything else they say on the subject seems to be stupid beyond all words.

Another campus rape story:

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/18/former_ ... ult_cases/

My sister is one of the women involved in this case.

I am truly sorry what happened to your sister, and unfortunately it happens much too often at UNC and campuses like it. I wish I could have been strong enough to come forward with my story when the opportunity came. However, I was met with an anti-victim attitude when I went to campus health and the FEMALE doctor told me "there's really nothing you can do now". This system MUST change, and as much as I love my school I will never ever excuse their negligence and mistreatment of sexual assault victims.

Yes, quite like how all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares (in this case, substitute "rectangles" for "idiots" and “squares†for “Republicansâ€)

As a registered "square" I take offense at that statement.

As a registered "square" I take offense at that statement.

Why am I not surprised. By the way, the "mainstream media" isn't out to defame Republicans. ;)

The World is not Black and White (as some Fundies believe). Not all Republicans are idiots. Not all Democrats are geniuses. There are Republican atheists. There are conservative Christian registered Democrats. I even work with some gay Republicans.

I'm a registered Democrat, but once was a Republican. I vote for Democrats most of the time, but I have voted for Republicans if I thought they were the best choice on the ballot, and probably will do so again.

Once upon a time, there were even such things as "liberal Republicans" and "conservative Democrats." : )

EDIT

Oops, I read it wrong I thought he was from the Gop, sorry

Well, he was on FAUX News.

well I guess GOP'ers are not the only idiots.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 ... 26173.html

Bob Beckel stunned his own co-hosts when he suggested that rape does not happen on college campuses during Tuesday's "The Five." (UPDATE: Beckel addressed the comments on Wednesday. Scroll down for more information.)

The Fox News roundtable was debating Colorado legislation that would allow women to carry concealed weapons to prevent sexual assault at colleges. Beckel was skeptical, and asked, "When's the last time you heard about rape on a college campus?"

"What?!" Kimberly Guilfoyle reacted.

"What are you talking about?" an indignant Eric Bolling said. "It's rampant."

"Oh, it's rampant?" Beckel asked. "Rapes on campus?!" Bolling responded. "Where?" Beckel wanted to know.

I think these news shows are scripted, and the people who appear on them are paid big money to say outrageous things to generate ad revenue. Denying there's rape on college campuses is akin to denying that our hearts pump blood, except the former is brazen enough to garner the show lots and lots of attention. And money.

What angers me is the fact that the media is generating billions in profit by discussing women's reproductive issues, crimes that happen primarily against women, and by conflating the two (e.g., all the media attention politicians got in the last election cycle with their idiotic rape/pregnancy comments). And the cynical part of me suspects this is the only reason why rape and rape denial gets the amount of air time it does.

I cannot wait until we reach the point as a society where stupid comments about rape are career ruining for these talking heads, much like what his racist comments about African American basketball players did for Don Imus.

I think these news shows are scripted, and the people who appear on them are paid big money to say outrageous things to generate ad revenue. Denying there's rape on college campuses is akin to denying that our hearts pump blood, except the former is brazen enough to garner the show lots and lots of attention. And money.

What angers me is the fact that the media is generating billions in profit by discussing women's reproductive issues, crimes that happen primarily against women, and by conflating the two (e.g., all the media attention politicians got in the last election cycle with their idiotic rape/pregnancy comments). And the cynical part of me suspects this is the only reason why rape and rape denial gets the amount of air time it does.

I cannot wait until we reach the point as a society where stupid comments about rape are career ruining for these talking heads, much like what his racist comments about African American basketball players did for Don Imus.

I agree. FOX in particular has a reputation for only dealing with Democrats that make their own position look better. Think Hannity and Colmes. Colmes was a "Democrat", but also an idiot and a passive weakling next the brash, admittedly handsome and ourspoken Hannity. That's not really "fair and balanced", that's fake "fair and balanced". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't intelligent Republicans and idiotic Democrats, but to me intellectual honesty requires that you pit your best arguments against the best arguments of your opponent. You don't stack the deck.

Why am I not surprised. By the way, the "mainstream media" isn't out to defame Republicans. ;)

Don't really care if that surprised you or not. I have made no secret about the fact that I am a Republican. In another thread specifically on the subject I said I was a fiscal Republican with some liberal views. As for the media, the vast majority of the media is very heavily liberal and the reporting sways to the liberal side. This thread is the perfect example of that. A couple Republicans make idiotic rape comments last year and the mainstream media dragged them through the mud for weeks, leading to them losing their political jobs. meanwhile, had I not read it hear on Free Jinger, I would have never known about Beckel's dumb-ass comment. The media isn't turning on him like they did others.

I have never liked Beckel. He is an idiot. There are idiots on both sides of the aisle, but the mainstream media usually only reports on the ones with the ® next to their name.

I Agree, it's a crying shame.

I agree. FOX in particular has a reputation for only dealing with Democrats that make their own position look better. Think Hannity and Colmes. Colmes was a "Democrat", but also an idiot and a passive weakling next the brash, admittedly handsome and ourspoken Hannity. That's not really "fair and balanced", that's fake "fair and balanced". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't intelligent Republicans and idiotic Democrats, but to me intellectual honesty requires that you pit your best arguments against the best arguments of your opponent. You don't stack the deck.

msnbc, rachel maddow, The Ed Show, hardball, morning joe (we all know what it's about), politicsnation, nbc abc, cbs, All stack the deck to champion their ideas and political leanings. I'm not disagreeing with you but it's not just fox.

The World is not Black and White (as some Fundies believe). Not all Republicans are idiots. Not all Democrats are geniuses. There are Republican atheists. There are conservative Christian registered Democrats. I even work with some gay Republicans.

I'm a registered Democrat, but once was a Republican. I vote for Democrats most of the time, but I have voted for Republicans if I thought they were the best choice on the ballot, and probably will do so again.

Once upon a time, there were even such things as "liberal Republicans" and "conservative Democrats." : )

I don't disagree that all Democrats are not geniuses. I also don't disagree that there used to be sane Republicans.

However, over the last 4-8 years, things have shifted dramatically on the political landscape and I find sane, non-idiot Republicans to be very hard to find anymore. What might be considered a "conservative Democrat" today likely has similar ideology to regular Republicans of previous decades.

I don't disagree that all Democrats are not geniuses. I also don't disagree that there used to be sane Republicans.

However, over the last 4-8 years, things have shifted dramatically on the political landscape and I find sane, non-idiot Republicans to be very hard to find anymore. What might be considered a "conservative Democrat" today likely has similar ideology to regular Republicans of previous decades.

My husband considers himself a Republican but votes Democrat and is for same sex marriage, free birth control, and a host of other issues that aren't normally considered Republican. I have no idea why he clings to the Republican label but he does.

Archived