IGNORED

Accused Friar Commits Suicide

Anxious Girl

Unpopular as this may be, accused does not necessarily mean he did it. He wasn't convicted of anything, nor do we know of any evidence other than the accusations.

Sad all around.

After accusations of being a child molester, a Roman Catholic friar/priest kills himself. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01 ... -say?lite= I have mixed feelings on this. Thoughts? * goes to look up the difference between friars and priests *

This is one I actually know since my husband was raised Catholic and educated by the Jesuits. Anywho...

Friars - take a vow of poverty, chastity, obedience, etc and typically live within the community, they may or may not be ordained a priests.

Priests - Have been ordained are able to deliver mass and sacraments

Monks - Like nuns are cloistered and are typically not ordained

I believe that Priests report to the local Bishop and work for the diocese, but that Friars do not.

Well most people wouldn't kill themselves if they were innocent. It's possible that that the suicide was just a coincidence, but not likely. I think that he is guilty. The only justice is that now other children won't be abused by this man.

Well most people wouldn't kill themselves if they were innocent. It's possible that that the suicide was just a coincidence, but not likely. I think that he is guilty. The only justice is that now other children won't be abused by this man.

I disagree. For some people the accusation itself causes a great deal of shame, even if innocent. He wouldn't be the first innocent person to commit suicide.

The Catholic view of suicide is that it's an unforgivable sin. I would think that a man in a religious order would not take that step unless he was already sure he was damned.

The Catholic view of suicide is that it's an unforgivable sin. I would think that a man in a religious order would not take that step unless he was already sure he was damned.

The Catholic Church views suicide as a sin but not necessarily damning because (according to the church) anguish or mental illness lessen's personal responsibility.

It's horrible if he abused young boys and its horrible if he was innocent and took his life. Those who initially swept abuse under the rug created the situation where it continued to happen.

Nine years of Catholic school always told us that suicide was an unforgivable sin. Hell, I seem to remember them saying murder was forgivable or at least not as horrible as suicide. You can always ago to confession if you're a murderer. If you commit suicide, you're out of luck.

The Catholic Church views suicide as a sin but not necessarily damning because (according to the church) anguish or mental illness lessen's personal responsibility.

It's horrible if he abused young boys and its horrible if he was innocent and took his life. Those who initially swept abuse under the rug created the situation where it continued to happen.

I agree. Conspiracy to hide abuse always has unforeseen consequences.

Nine years of Catholic school always told us that suicide was an unforgivable sin. Hell, I seem to remember them saying murder was forgivable or at least not as horrible as suicide. You can always ago to confession if you're a murderer. If you commit suicide, you're out of luck.

It is my understanding (after watching a good friend, unfortunately, struggle to get her daughter, who committed suicide a few years ago, a proper Catholic mass/burial) that the Church has recently changed its position on this due to new understandings of mental illness. See, e.g. this priest's response: http://www.catholicdigest.com/articles/ ... go-to-hell.

I disagree. For some people the accusation itself causes a great deal of shame, even if innocent. He wouldn't be the first innocent person to commit suicide.

:text-+1:

Archived