IGNORED

It's that Girl Scout Cookie Time of Year Again

NotALoserLikeYou

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to keep that in mind if I am offered the chance to buy cookies. Is that dependent on the local chapter? I've had to give up wheat due to an allergy, and not being able to eat Samoas is the one thing that I really feel sad about.

Most local chapters have some kind of charity program. Ours sends GS cookies to the troops overseas so I buy a case or two for that. I also can't have wheat so that's my contribution.

I'm the mother of three Girl Scouts, and I am very proud of what the cookies fund. Our troop has decided that this year's donations will go to the local Children's Hospital.

My boyfriend was in scout when he was growing up in South Africa. He wants to put our future kids in scouts but I told him only Girl Scouts if we end up having daughters. I refuse to support Boy Scouts who have a hatred for equality.

Both my husband and his brother were Eagle Scouts who relinquished their awards when all the homophobic nonsense started. They hated to do it because it's such a huge achievement, but they couldn't in good conscience remain affiliated with Scouting. :(

The conundrum: sure I would like to show my support for an organization focused on empowering young girls...

...but I really hate those cookies. They're overrated and overpriced.

I like them, but know that better-quality cookies are available--but their goal is to raise money, so I'm not quibbling. Why not show your support by checking off the "Contribute # boxes to the troops/charity"?

Saw this on facebook today. My daughters are in the GS and we are selling cookies (and I am going to try to not eat as many as I did last year, which was way, way too many)

19307_544333038911012_4099056_n.jpg

Need to get my annual order of Thin Mints! ;)

I love the Girl Scouts cookies! It's so bad for me but so delicious! I've heard of those complaints regarding the GSA before, nothing new there.

I don't know if people are aware of this but the Mormon Church has a special deal with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) to incorporate scouting into their church training of young men. However, they do give the same type of support to the Girl Scout, instead opting to provide Mormon girls with their own church approved group. It's not just because the GSA have some some tenuous connection to Planned Parenthood or make references to birth control. It's also because the GSA will not allow the church, or outside orgs to dictate who their scouting leaders can be---I believe they let local chapters decide to allow open lesbians in as scout leaders. Catholic and LDS churches have enormous clout within the BSA national board so there is a ban on gays being scout leaders due to that influence. Ironically, the LDS church itself are allowed control over their scout chapters due to a deal struck years back.

Of course, the focus on encouraging young girls to have careers (or stay home) is also looked down by some conservatives. I believe the GSA also encourages frank discussion of sex and they support women's access to contraception. The empowerment of women is similar to the idea of providing leadership training for boys by the BSA, but what's good for the goose is not good for the gander for some.....

My girls are selling cookies for their troop and so far we've only ran across one crazy fundie dude that thought of a group of 6 -13 year olds as budding lesbian feminazis and told us so. Funny thing our girls are such evil, liberal feminists that last year they voted to raise money to buy new baby clothes to donate to the local Crisis Pregnancy Center. Most of our girls are at least from a somewhat Christian background, so I can't see as they've been corrupted by Girl Scouts. Most of our Journey books are about having a good self image, protecting the planet, getting along with others and helping the community not exactly radical feminism.

My girls are selling cookies for their troop and so far we've only ran across one crazy fundie dude that thought of a group of 6 -13 year olds as budding lesbian feminazis and told us so. Funny thing our girls are such evil, liberal feminists that last year they voted to raise money to buy new baby clothes to donate to the local Crisis Pregnancy Center. Most of our girls are at least from a somewhat Christian background, so I can't see as they've been corrupted by Girl Scouts. Most of our Journey books are about having a good self image, protecting the planet, getting along with others and helping the community not exactly radical feminism.

Oh, but protecting the planet IS a liberal, feminazi conspiracy, didn't you know? :roll:

Who knew that the two little Girl Scouts (who were, I presume by the headscarves and long dresses, Islamic) who sold me nuts this fall were radical, liberal, feminazi-ists?

I have always been an avid girl scout supporter! I am so glad I was. I need to find one so I can buy tons of cookies. :D :D

Hee! You could do what we did and leave your garage door open and they might wander in.

We had our garage door wide open when we moved into our condo because we were lugging in boxes. Two Girl Scouts (from different neighbor families) marched right in with their cookie sheets and next thing you know, we'd ordered twenty bucks worth. Any excuse to stop moving boxes.

I was a Girl Scout cookie mom for years and every year the garage, front hall, dining room, etc were filled with cookies. A few of the neighbors would line up in the driveway to buy cookies before we even had the boxes separated. I ordered extras so they could do that. Ebil feminist that I am supporting such a thing.

Saw this on facebook today. My daughters are in the GS and we are selling cookies (and I am going to try to not eat as many as I did last year, which was way, way too many). 19307_544333038911012_4099056_n.jpg

Hell with my diet, I'll take 10 cases of Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Patties, and Samoas. Each.

I remember having sex ed with the Girl Scouts. It was fantastic! Embarrassing then, of course, but now I realize that how important being open and honest about it was. I really didn't give the Girl Scouts enough credit while I was involved with them. I wish the Boy Scouts weren't such yahoos so my son could have the same experience.

Now I must weep because they don't have Shout Outs anymore. Dang, those were good. Love the Lemonades (frosted lemon shortbread), though, and I've got to try the new Mango Crémes.

I didn't know about the Mango Cremes. I'll have to try those. Oh well, there goes my diet.

There's a group of middle school girlscouts that sell around here. There was a group of boyscouts in the subway selling fudge (I don't even know) and this group of girlscouts set up near them with a rainbow sign that said "Hate Free Cookies!"

As a broke ass grad student... I purchased 4 boxes.

How could anyone resist that?!

What an awesome way for girls to learn how to take care of themselves and others.

That graphic reminds me how rad the Girl Scouts are. I think I'll order even more boxes this year! :D Yes, they're expensive, but I see them as a delicious donation to a good cause.

Last year I got a Girl Scout ringing my doorbell at 9 AM on the day when they were allowed to start selling, which was a Sunday. No, I didn't mind. Nobody has shown up this year, though. I may have to seek one out.

Last year I got a Girl Scout ringing my doorbell at 9 AM on the day when they were allowed to start selling, which was a Sunday. No, I didn't mind. Nobody has shown up this year, though. I may have to seek one out.

I know right?! I've been hit up for every fundraiser imaginable by all the kids in my family, the employees kids, and the neighborhood kids and not one Girl Scout among them. This chubby kid is going to unashamedly dominate some thin mints. The diet can start later.

I use crushed Thin Mints to make the crust for chocolate mousse pie. :)

This is an absolutely wonderful idea. :clap:

Archived