IGNORED

Papa's Paddles

mirele

It's really odd, in that context, that they promote on their site an If/then chart that recommends spanking as discipline. And that they used to promote the Pearl books. And that they themselves talk about lengthy periods of difficulty and frustration with rebellion amongst the children, especially John. And that at least one Fjer made notes of a conference where Steve clapped his hands together in a way that she felt implied spanking when he talked about 'consequences'.

In fact, your description of the Maxwells sounds positively chintzy, decorative and cutesy. And not real, imo.

Not to rush to sewingmom2's defense, but I'm sure I've read at least 2 threads where posters have provided actual statements the Maxwells have made about how they never spanked, but were perfectly okay with other families doing it.

There doesnt seem to be a difference with fundies. Some of them seem to have an unnatural love of ritually beating the shit out of their child. Im sure the Pearls wouldnt have written their book on child abuse, if someone would have sat them down and told them that some couples like to get a bit kinky and spank eachother, and some people get off to being spanked or spanking their partner, and that its perfectly normal and God doesnt have a problem with it. They would instead have written Created to be his Helpmeet in a slightly different way ;)

In my fundie upbringing, we had something I now call 'the humiliation ritual' where Dad would say 'pull down your pants and lay yourself over my knee' - and we obeyed and we were spanked. Does that sound kinky, or what!!!

My sister bought a paddle that said 'Board of Education' on it, likely meant as a joke. My parents used it on us younger kids for years.

I can't believe the paddle actually says "Laugh often" .... Really?

My sister bought a paddle that said 'Board of Education' on it, likely meant as a joke. My parents used it on us younger kids for years.

Oh :( I wonder how she felt, or if she even knew... At least, I would have felt horrible, and the paddle would "disappear" somehow

It's really odd, in that context, that they promote on their site an If/then chart that recommends spanking as discipline. And that they used to promote the Pearl books. And that they themselves talk about lengthy periods of difficulty and frustration with rebellion amongst the children, especially John. And that at least one Fjer made notes of a conference where Steve clapped his hands together in a way that she felt implied spanking when he talked about 'consequences'.

In fact, your description of the Maxwells sounds positively chintzy, decorative and cutesy. And not real, imo.

I imagine they were on company manners for people they could sell stuff to. Stevehovah used to be able to put a smile on over his grim mask of a face.

I also think the idea that it would somehow be "better" or not an issue if the paddles weren't actually used for child beating, but instead as a "cute" insiders' public joke about how they loved to beat their children, is odd. Decorative child-beating paddles would, to me, add an extra layer of deliberation to the idea of beating children with implements. Abuse shouldn't have a fandom and memorabilia!

Guest Anonymous

Not to rush to sewingmom2's defense, but I'm sure I've read at least 2 threads where posters have provided actual statements the Maxwells have made about how they never spanked, but were perfectly okay with other families doing it.

I'd love to see those statements, please.

Until then, I wonder what the sticks represent on the sample If/then chart that the Maxwells promote? And why there would be a bible verse on there,which specifically refers to beating as a punishment.

I wonder why Steve talks about sending his children away from the dinner table for misbehaviour, and what the 'consequences' were that he did not elaborate on, but noted they were ones the children preferred to avoid? What could it be thast he is so coy about, given that he is so explicit about every other damn thing in his life?

I wonder how the family trained Abby and Bethany to stay on their blankets for blanket time?

I'd love to see those statements, please.

Until then, I wonder what the sticks represent on the sample If/then chart that the Maxwells promote? And why there would be a bible verse on there,which specifically refers to beating as a punishment.

I wonder why Steve talks about sending his children away from the dinner table for misbehaviour, and what the 'consequences' were that he did not elaborate on, but noted they were ones the children preferred to avoid? What could it be thast he is so coy about, given that he is so explicit about every other damn thing in his life?

I wonder how the family trained Abby and Bethany to stay on their blankets for blanket time?

I don't think that Steve had to hit often or long though. Not giving any hitters any exemptions here, but add hitting, emotional blackmail, food withholding and by the time the kid hits ten they are pretty much broken. Oh and then make them listen to the Daddy tapes every night. Pretty effect means of control.

As to the decorative paddle issue it's crap and white washing of hitting a child with an object. I have no intention of starting another spanking war, but yea unless someone shows me a quote where Steve and his spouse said they didn't hit, and raised their children not to hit I ain't buying it.

then came requests for toy chests.

After much research to ensure quality and safety, they released their first chest into the world.

Cognitive dissonance much?

Protect those little ones from toy chests, then beat them with a paddle -- lovely.

Th-there is such a thing? :shock: *huddles up in a corner and rocks back and forth* Dear God mommy, WHY? :( :(

It's meant as a jab at people who claim every egg lost is a child and they act as if they've lost a full-term baby or child (and how dare you not treat them as bereaved parents), that sort of thing. It's not mocking miscarriages or anything.

LOL, Anise! That's great :lol:

I have a slightly icky question. These boards have words on them. I know that fundies like to spank on the bare bottom. Does that mean the words...get imprinted on the child's bum? :shock:

Um....there aren't any words if ANYONE OUT THERE CAN THINK "LAUGH MUCH" IS SUITABLE TO IMPRINT ON THEIR CHILDREN'S BOTTOMS.

*shuddering*

Archived