IGNORED

(Pro-choice) comment on fetal development

RachelB

This is from a commenter at Libby Anne's (Patheos) blog (not breaking the link, because neither she nor anyone in her regular commentariat would mind being linked here):

One thing that was powerful to me was when a pro-choice woman pointed out that a fetus doesn’t just grow *in* a woman’s body, it is *made from* a woman’s body. Fetuses literally use the blood, food, and energy of the woman to build their own bodies. They are not separate from the woman in any true sense until they leave the womb. They don’t even stop receiving her blood until the cord is cut/the placenta detaches from the uterus. We think of them as floating in her like an astronaut in a spaceship, but they are more like an extra organ of her body for much of the time they are in the womb.

My anatomy professor in college likened children to parasites. He said they were parasites to the mother in the womb and were parasites for 18 years to both parents after birth.

I love the meaning of this, but it comes across as somewhat dishonest. The fetus makes and uses it's own blood, which is why children often have a different blood type than their mothers. The placenta transfers oxygen and nutrients from the mother's bloodstream into the fetus' bloodstream. They are completely separate, but more like parasites than organs, like ^EmiGirl said.

My anatomy professor in college likened children to parasites. He said they were parasites to the mother in the womb and were parasites for 18 years to both parents after birth.

Cuteneurorad says we have to consider it a tumor, same thing.

I considered both my (loved, wanted) children parasites before they were born. I am shorter now then I was pre-pregnancy. I was constantly tired. Became severely anemic. I lost the ability to stand on my own power for more than a few minutes at a time. There was no other way to look at it but to realistically say that pregnancy was a massive drain on my body. That's not even mentioning the vomiting. Yes, fetuses are parasites. Yes they use the woman's blood (or at least, the ingredients in the blood if not the red blood cells directly). Where else did all my calcium and iron go?

I considered both my (loved, wanted) children parasites before they were born. I am shorter now then I was pre-pregnancy. I was constantly tired. Became severely anemic. I lost the ability to stand on my own power for more than a few minutes at a time. There was no other way to look at it but to realistically say that pregnancy was a massive drain on my body. That's not even mentioning the vomiting. Yes, fetuses are parasites. Yes they use the woman's blood (or at least, the ingredients in the blood if not the red blood cells directly). Where else did all my calcium and iron go?

I loved the idea of having a baby while pregnant.

But that thing growing in my body was completely anonymous and caused me a lot of discomfort. No the pregnancy as such was not very to write home about.

In Holland we still have the majority of the women having a natural delivery without any painkillers. Some enlightened ob/gyns are willing to administer an epidural in some cases.

In short, after the delivery I fell in eternal love with my children, not so much before.

My unborn babies were fully people, imho. The doctors monitored their health--and they had "health" independent of mine. Had there been need, they could even have had in utero surgery!!! Their development and maturity were closely monitored--as were their brain development, weight, movement, and on and on. During labor, they were monitored separately from me, and medical decisions were made for their welfare, independent of me. They had gender different from mine--twice. They had race different from mine--three times. They had DNA different from mine--of course!

I never, ever felt that they were "parasites." And I had tough pregnancies--three losses, three live births, cardiomyopathy after all three births, heart meds out the yahoo for all three pregnancies, CHF after all three births, and so forth. Throughout the pregnancies and deliveries, my main concern was for the baby. Coming up with empty arms three times probably contributed to this.

Just a different opinion....

My unborn babies were fully people, imho. The doctors monitored their health--and they had "health" independent of mine. Had there been need, they could even have had in utero surgery!!! Their development and maturity were closely monitored--as were their brain development, weight, movement, and on and on. During labor, they were monitored separately from me, and medical decisions were made for their welfare, independent of me. They had gender different from mine--twice. They had race different from mine--three times. They had DNA different from mine--of course!

I never, ever felt that they were "parasites." And I had tough pregnancies--three losses, three live births, cardiomyopathy after all three births, heart meds out the yahoo for all three pregnancies, CHF after all three births, and so forth. Throughout the pregnancies and deliveries, my main concern was for the baby. Coming up with empty arms three times probably contributed to this.

Just a different opinion....

Pregnancy was horrible for me, but I felt like it was a baby too. But I do understand that others don't feel that way and that they should have the choice to view it as an unwanted parasite and get rid of it if it is desired. And I think that is what being pro-choice is really all about. Letting other people get to feel how they want and make the choices they want.

I totally agree with FormerGothardite. I had a tough pregnancy too, with a fair amount of pain, throwing up all the time, anemia and calcium deficiency, and then partial bedrest (lying down except when I went to work). I loved my son from the time he was a tiny ball of cells in utero, but his presence definitely affected my health negatively at times. It really made me appreciate the fact that I had a choice about being pregnant and that my own health still mattered regardless.

Calling a fetus a parasite doesn't mean the parent(s) doesn't/don't want the resulting baby. It can be a much wanted child but still regarded as something dependent on the host for survival. :)

The reality comes down to the fact, until you can grow a person outside a human without a living woman's womb, fetuses are in fact biologically a type of parisite. They can not live or grow with out taking from their host. For some they take more then others, sometimes leaving lasting health problems.

I adore tankkid, but don't kid myself, even my easy pregnancy left lasting changes to my body. I certainly paid for being a host.

And even though I called my kids "babies" and they were very much wanted, I didn't view them as equal to babies who were already born. They were more of potential babies.

And even though I called my kids "babies" and they were very much wanted, I didn't view them as equal to babies who were already born. They were more of potential babies.

Yes, same here.

Archived