IGNORED

College@Home: Homeschool VS Public School

mrs

collegeathome.com/homeschool-domination/

Their source material is biased....

Those stats, what the living fuck.

Richer parents might be more able to homeschool? What a revelation. And does that make them better people? I suppose we can get rid of the person who takes care of your rubbish and the person who wipes your arse in a care home. They're just scum who should be homeschooling their daughters to sip tea with their pinky finger out.

FUCKING CLASS. IT IS ABOUT CLASS. LOOK.

*headdesk*

Here in my town the kids getting the standardized tests that are so lauded here and so maligned everywhere else in the homeschool community include those with a tested IQ as low as 70, kids with other severe learning disabilities, kids who do not speak English as a first language, kids in failing schools, and kids from bad home environments. That's because public schools are for everyone, duh. If all of these kids had highly motivated, English-fluent, well-off (and yes, if you can dedicate one parent's working day to education, you are well off) and well-educated parents, I suspect you'd see much less difference.

I actually think homeschooling can be a wonderful option but choosing from one highly selective cohort and comparing it to a group that by definition includes the low-end students to prove that it is intrinsically better is just crap. But what do I know, I went to public school:)

I couldn't even find the sources the first time I looked at the link. It is not surprising the HSLDA is sited.

There's worse. :roll:

Like world nut daily (wnd.com)

And "finehomeschooling.com" that seems to be a site written by 2 individuals who met online and married at ages past ability to conceive children, have traditional educations themselves, yet somehow by virtue of creating an internet site are experts to be referred to on the subject of homeschooling. Gee, I wonder what I could make a website about and become an "expert" on?

I clicked on their nursing option and here are the wonders of being able to be able to become an LPN. I wasn't aware you could be an LPN without attending class or clinicals. It's too bad a lot of suckers will fall for this and their kid will end up with a useless piece of paper "degree" they can't use anywhere.

No Classroom Attendance Required

NLNAC/CCNE accredited Nursing Programs

No Waiting List - Get Started Immediately

Save up to 50% over Traditional Programs

Transfer credits don’t expire

One-on-One Academic Support

Guaranteed Academic Success+

Financing options available +

Self-Paced, Convenient Learning

They also don't mention what percentage of homeschooled students take the tests in the first place. I'm guessing only a small percentage. Does ANYONE think the Duggar kids take the same standardized exam as public school students?

They also don't mention what percentage of homeschooled students take the tests in the first place. I'm guessing only a small percentage. Does ANYONE think the Duggar kids take the same standardized exam as public school students?

That would be a nice bit of info to have, wouldn't it?

I was homeschooled in a state that required yearly testing using the same standardized tests that I took in public school before I was homeschooled. So, in states with those requirements, all homeschooled children in families who are legally homeschooling would be taking the tests every year (some require testing only every three years). I'm sure that some families are under the radar and don't report anything though I would think that would be a minority in those states.

In states where testing isn't required, I'm sure that the majority are not taking standardized tests of any sort, although I do know of some families who do the testing regardless so that they can gauge how well their children are learning. Those are the non-crazy, non-fundy breed of homeschooler, in general. That would be the type of homeschooler who cares that their children are learning and at or exceeding grade level expectations. Probably not the majority.

I like how at the beginning it says that only 13% of Public School kids are proficient in US History, but then never mentions history again. I'm sure SOTDT teaches history like they teach everything else.

Do homeschooled kids take the same tests as public schooled kids? In many cases, yes. I personally have administered Iowa Basics, Stanford Achievements and California Achievement Tests to homeschooled kids, including my own. I've also given cognitive tests and reading tests. I have current teacher certification in 3 states.

I no longer homeschool but I do tutor. I am able to give my students Iowa Basics at the beginning of tutoring and at the end of the school year, to measure actual progress.

Fundie families do take these exams--in our homeschool group led by Maxwells, most of the kids, including theirs, were tested.

I don't think college@home is a good idea, although online classes can supplement in-person classes quite well. By college, young adults need to experience "the real world" so they can transition successfully to careers and independent living. My own children have degrees from U of Iowa, Kansas State, U of Kansas, Harvard, University of Missouri/Kansas City, and Benedictine--so far.

I think that the thing is that not all homeschool kids get these tests- I've known homeschooling families on both spectrums, as well as private schools that were great and many that were awful. In most states these tests are only mandated for public school students over 2nd grade. So the only other students who get these tests are the ones with parents who actually care about their education, which does skew results when you compare public schools vs homeschools.

Those stats, what the living fuck.

Richer parents might be more able to homeschool? What a revelation. And does that make them better people? I suppose we can get rid of the person who takes care of your rubbish and the person who wipes your arse in a care home. They're just scum who should be homeschooling their daughters to sip tea with their pinky finger out.

FUCKING CLASS. IT IS ABOUT CLASS. LOOK.

*headdesk*

QFT

Do homeschooled kids take the same tests as public schooled kids? In many cases, yes. I personally have administered Iowa Basics, Stanford Achievements and California Achievement Tests to homeschooled kids, including my own. I've also given cognitive tests and reading tests. I have current teacher certification in 3 states.

I no longer homeschool but I do tutor. I am able to give my students Iowa Basics at the beginning of tutoring and at the end of the school year, to measure actual progress.

Fundie families do take these exams--in our homeschool group led by Maxwells, most of the kids, including theirs, were tested.

I don't think college@home is a good idea, although online classes can supplement in-person classes quite well. By college, young adults need to experience "the real world" so they can transition successfully to careers and independent living. My own children have degrees from U of Iowa, Kansas State, U of Kansas, Harvard, University of Missouri/Kansas City, and Benedictine--so far.

Sewingmom2, do you post at the NFP forum on Delphi with the same screenname?

Yes, I am sewingmom2 over at delphi--on the NFP board and on the heirloom sewing board. :) You?

I used the same screenname there. I post on other Delphi forums but not at NFP anymore.

I ended up having to pull my kids from a school that performs very well on standardized tests compared to the rest of the state of WV. However, that's about all the school had going for it. My son who has neurological and behavior issues was not functioning well there and was throwing fits in 3rd grade, so I removed him. My 2nd grader was having behavior problems at home once school started. Almost like magic, the behavior improved for both when we began homeschooling. Their academics are stronger after we started homeschooling, and I know they would do well on the testing. However, that would have to take place at their old school, where they were both so miserable.

In WV we also have the option to do a portfolio review. This is an interview with a licensed teacher who looks over the child's work for a year and determines whether it is grade appropriate and whether the child has progressed that year. That is the route we plan to go. My sons struggle with sitting still, and going back to school to take the WesTest sounds like a disaster in the making to me.

Now that I've gotten into the groove of homeschooling, I do see that learning by doing works great for my kids. Looking back, all they were doing in school was directly tied to test prep, not to long-term and meaningful learning.

Regarding privilege, we are raising 4 kids on $45K. It's tight, but we would lose quality of life if I put the boys back in school and put my 2 girls into daycare to go back to teaching. I would spend more money on gas, food, clothing, and childcare, so it's just not worth it!

I kind of like the idea of homeschooling if it's done in a healthy way (not ATI duggarish way). There's a lot to be said for one on one attention and teaching. However, I have mixed feelings about homeschooling older kids. High school offers a lot of lessons outside the classroom, and no legit college would have those piss poor standards. Even with doing an online degree, you have to block out certain amounts of time every day and check in and complete your assignments within a certain time, not just do whatever you please when you feel like it.

I kind of like the idea of homeschooling if it's done in a healthy way (not ATI duggarish way). There's a lot to be said for one on one attention and teaching. However, I have mixed feelings about homeschooling older kids. High school offers a lot of lessons outside the classroom, and no legit college would have those piss poor standards. Even with doing an online degree, you have to block out certain amounts of time every day and check in and complete your assignments within a certain time, not just do whatever you please when you feel like it.

The local college allows students as young as 14, and some courses can be counted toward a high school diploma and transferrable college credit simultaneously. I know of at least one homeschool family that is going this route for high school. I think it's a great idea because a lot of the stupid parts of high school can be avoided at a good community college and the student can be practicing for adulthood while still being able to go home at night.

I had a few friends who did community college for high school and it helped tremendously when they went into undergrad. One of them graduated with a bachelor's degree after 2.5 years and got a good salaried job at the age of 21. the other double majored in piano and physics and will be done with grad school by the time he's 22.

Archived