IGNORED

Micro premies: Care and costs

gustava

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm only a few paragraphs in, and I had tob come back to say thanks for sharing. Totally riveting and heartbreaking if you think about how many people have to make these decisions!

Where there is life there is hope. That is what gets me through every day. Even on days when I'm the most cynical I try to remember how important that is.

Fuck. 20 ninjas. 20 ninjas cutting onions behind me. Yeah, that's it.

The damn ninjas are here too!

I was terrified to read to the end of the series.

My poor former micro-preemie had to suffer through numerous squishy hugs as I was reading this. the onions didn't help, either.

This piece is so beautifully written, and resurrects some of the exact same moments I went through (even if my daughter's NICU stay seems like a Caribbean cruise compared to little Juniper's). Oh, and I giggled when I read about the wonderful neonatologist who wasn't only a woman, but a devout Muslim. In your face, fundies.

Ahhh. The ninjas and the onions just made an appearance here. Thank you for posting this!

That was one of the best pieces of writing I've ever seen, seriously.

The baby is just precious, and I'm so happy that she's doing well so far.

About to read parts 2 and 3. Absolutely heartwrenching. She has a terrific writing style, too.

Be sure not to miss the photo gallery in part 3. If you don't smile at it, you're made of stone. Such a cute kid.

What an incredibly moving and eloquent story. Thank you--and the Frenches--for sharing it.

Now I need to go find out what's in my eye...

This was an amazing read. Thank you so much for sharing it. I was full out crying through some parts.

Juniper is so stinking adorable, I can hardly stand it

The damn ninjas are here too!

I was terrified to read to the end of the series.

All of this. I spoiled myself by watching the videos before reading each section, but still, that was harrowing.

So interesting to read an honest account of a micro premmie. The Duggars always like to claim they want to be an example to people but the way they showed Josie's story made it seem so easy. We got the story of the perforated intestines while in hospital and the drama after release, when she had to be readmitted. Other than that, I think they just showed the positive. I am sure Josie's story was far more like Juniper's and we just didn't see it. I am glad the Frenches shared their story, as I now feel I have a much better understanding of what it is lie for those struggling with a micro.

I wish that Josie was getting the follow-up that Juniper got.

Same here. Those ninjas made an appearance here. I've mentioned before that my youngest cousin was a micropremie when the survival rate was lower than it is now, and he still has developmental delays.

The ninjas and their onions made it here to, to Scotland that was a harrowing read but was from the heart warts and all.

I am astounded at the cost in the NICU. We do have private insurance here too but mostly we use the NHS which doesn't entail a bill at the end of your stay.

Freaking ninjas!

Anyway, surprised you all missed this quote (when she was on bedrest):

All of these people had been between my legs, and I was too wrecked to care.

Oooh, she's a shameless hussy and her husband didn't care that there were male doctors between her legs! :)

Freaking ninjas!

Anyway, surprised you all missed this quote (when she was on bedrest):

Oooh, she's a shameless hussy and her husband didn't care that there were male doctors between her legs! :)

And she doesn't even care if people see her collarbones when she holds her premie for the first time!

I'm sure the Frenches were too dazed to care at the time, but can you imagine the level of relief to know that a multi-million dollar NICU stay was only going to cost $400?

Archived