IGNORED

Micro premies: Care and costs

gustava

My mother is 86. I do not want her given spartan medical treatment, or "less drastic" medical treatment (whatever that means) just because she is elderly. And who defines quality of life? My mother has a 64 year old friend who is in the skilled nursing facility because she has multiple sclerosis and is wheelchair bound. Yet, she enjoys feeding the birds each day, getting her hair done, and her friendship with my mother. If a person is brain-dead and on life support, yes there is likely no use for prolonging death. But short of that, and unless a person expressely wishes to discontinue or curtail treatment, it should not be policy for health care providers or anyone else to judge quality of life. Besides, if we stopped spending trillions of dollars on so-called "defense", our nation would have stellar educational and health care systems to serve ALL citizens.

Have you not heard of advanced directives? Here in Boregonia when you are admitted to a hosp you are required to complete an advanced directives form or provide copies of one you already have. Those forms ensure that the patients wishes are followed when it comes to medical care.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you not heard of advanced directives? Here in Boregonia when you are admitted to a hosp you are required to complete an advanced directives form or provide copies of one you already have. Those forms ensure that the patients wishes are followed when it comes to medical care.

While I'm not disagreeing with the military budget being, well, ridiculous, I don't think that making spending cuts would change the public's mind on the value of education spending. Here in Alaska, we have the means to fully fund education, yet time and time again budgets are slashed and taxes are cut. People would rather have more money in their pocket, regardless of the fact that money in their pocket doesn't go as far as money in the treasury. We have one of the highest average wages in the nation, the lowest tax burden, the least amount of wealth disparity, and yet people still complain about high taxes. Right now, the scapegoat is education. The current education model is IMO, ineffective with its spending. However, I believe the way we spend money on employers is ineffective in most industries. Why does a teacher make less than the administration? Why is a fire fighter making less than the mayor?

In Illinois, advanced directives are not required. Upon admittance to the hospital, you are asked if you have one but that is all. I am my mother's medical and general power of attorney, so I am not worried about her at the present time (if I don't die before her). I have an advanced directive for myself and my husband and daughter both know my wishes. What I am worried about is changing social policy that would diminish the medical choices of the elderly and place control into the health care system. This scenario is not here yet, but with the minimal value placed on the elderly in this nation, it may become a reality one day. Hope this clarifies where I am coming from. I have a soft spot for the elderly and tend to be protective of them, not just my mom, because I see many sad situations in her skilled nursing facility.

Archived