IGNORED

Watched the 700 club today

bekkah

Ok, I didn't watch the whole show. I fell asleep and woke up with it on the tv. I couldn't believe what I heard. Pat had a question from a guy because his daughter was dating a Catholic and this has gotten the family in some sort of conflict. He said get to know the Catholic and show him the true way to faith through being born again. The daughter should be with a believer. I was in shock.

Then there was a letter from a person saying God hasn't healed them. He told the person to use medicine that it was a gift from God. I was impressed that they would advocate for medical treatment.

Here is the goldmine. There was a question asking are Musilums all jihadists or are some just radical lunatics. Pat said that Islam is all based on war and that they are non peaceful :naughty: . He said the Bible teaches peacefulness and forgiveness. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If you believe that then how can you spread the gospel to them. On top of that, Christians do not uphold their own beliefs and treat other people like CRAP.

Lastly, he addressed taxes. He said taxes only hurt businesses and doesn't create jobs. Corporate creates jobs so their taxes should be lower. Basically, he said the poor should pay while big business doesn't. Big business hasn't done that for years for its own citizens but cheap labor elsewhere in the world.

It made me sick to watch it to the point that I couldn't even snark on it. People eat that crap up and take it for the truth.

Sometimes it's hard to snark on the 700 Club because of some of the subjects they cover. I sometimes watch because ABC Family and my local FOX air the show and I work from home and sometimes I watch to get some laughs while I'm working.

700 club is banned in my home.

DH and I watched about 5 minutes of it the other day, simply because we couldn't believe it was still on the air.

I literally can't remember anything from the show. Neither one of us could stand it for very long.

It is hard to snark on, because it's fuckin' dangerous. It still kills me how these kind of Christians can't see that they are exactly like the Muslim jihadists they claim to despise.

Pat said that Islam is all based on war and that they are non peaceful :naughty: . He said the Bible teaches peacefulness and forgiveness.

I question whether Pat has ever read the Bible. There is a lot of sick, violent shit in that book. If someone wrote a book today with all the same subject matter that is in the Bible, Christians like Pat would be the exact ones who would be trying to ban it for being "immoral" and "deviant".

I cannot stand that show. They take christianity to another level that's at the dangerous level. Funny how the Duggars were on it recently.

I question whether Pat has ever read the Bible. There is a lot of sick, violent shit in that book. If someone wrote a book today with all the same subject matter that is in the Bible, Christians like Pat would be the exact ones who would be trying to ban it for being "immoral" and "deviant".

THIS!

The reason the 700 Club is on the air goes back to Pat Robertson selling the CBN cable network (one of the first cable networks in the late 70's) to Fox in 1997. The channel became Fox Family. Fox has since sold it to Disney where they branded it ABC Family. In the contract to sell the channel, Pat Robertson included that the 700 club would remain on the channel at certain times a day and for special weekend fundraisers several times a year. Also in the contract was that the name of the channel must include "family". These stipulations were transferable to any future buyer of the channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_networks_preceding_ABC_Family

"700 Club" is still on the air, yet "Freaks and Geeks" got cancelled after less than a season.

One needs no further proof that we live in a seriously messed up world.

Eleven years on, and I'm still in mourning over Freaks and Geeks, yet on and on go Pat Robertson and his real crew of freaks.

It is hard to snark on, because it's fuckin' dangerous. It still kills me how these kind of Christians can't see that they are exactly like the Muslim jihadists they claim to despise.

This!!!

Also, "The Bible teaches forgiveness"? I really feel that statement should be amended to "Jesus teaches forgiveness". The whole OT is chalked full of violence. The culture of the time was violent. The whole "love your neighbour thing" really was a radical idea.

The reason the 700 Club is on the air goes back to Pat Robertson selling the CBN cable network (one of the first cable networks in the late 70's) to Fox in 1997. The channel became Fox Family. Fox has since sold it to Disney where they branded it ABC Family. In the contract to sell the channel, Pat Robertson included that the 700 club would remain on the channel at certain times a day and for special weekend fundraisers several times a year. Also in the contract was that the name of the channel must include "family". These stipulations were transferable to any future buyer of the channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_networks_preceding_ABC_Family

AH! I might have to stop watching ABC Family now.

Wow - I don't think I've ever made it through a whole episode of 700 Club. I know people from church growing up who watched, but even my parents thought that it seemed very out of touch with reality. The main things I remember about it are an overabundance of polyester suiting and surprisingly gleeful proclamations that people were going to hell.

I cannot stand that show. They take christianity to another level that's at the dangerous level. Funny how the Duggars were on it recently.

The 700 Club books a lot of Christian "celebs" on the show. I didn't watch when the Duggars were on but I think there are some online clips. The 700 Club in a lot of ways tries to cater to different Christian audiences. They booked the Duggars mainly to appeal to the fundie crowd. They also put people like Todd Burpo, Louie Zamperini and, Nick Vujicic on the show to cater to the mainstream Christian crowd.

Pat Robertson airs his shit from Virginia Beach, which means I live 45 minutes from where he not only airs his shit (I refuse to call it a show), but also runs the university he founded.

The asshole tried to buy the local paper, the Virginian-Pilot, because the VP was often critical of him. Who the fuck isn't? I don't know anyone around here who watches him, or anyone who doesn't think he's not a kook. It seems that whenever there's those tickers across the screen (or were, when I saw it a few years back) of people who donated, not a single one was from the Hampton Roads part of Virginia/North Carolina.

We're sorry. We're so very, very sorry.

Kate Gosselin was also on once.

Now theres a fine example of Christian virtue !!

I had a roommate in undergrad who would watch the 700 club everyday. Her actual class attendance was spotty, to say the least, but she couldn't go a day without watching that show. One of the biggest points of contention between us was that I would often point out much of the BS that was on the show and she refused to hear it.

Sadly, she wasn't always like that. She started out a fairly normal Christian and then apparently started going to a nutso church.

Now theres a fine example of Christian virtue !!

I'm surprised a good Christian man like Robertson would tolerate an abusive, husband-beating attention whore like Kate Gosselin. Shouldn't she be 'keeping sweet' and staying at home with her children like good Christian women?

One needs no further proof that we live in a seriously messed up world.

Eleven years on, and I'm still in mourning over Freaks and Geeks, yet on and on go Pat Robertson and his real crew of freaks.

Word! When "Freaks and Geeks" got cancelled it felt like a death in the family. Okay, that may be melodramatic, but F & G was such an accurate depiction of high school.

Word! When "Freaks and Geeks" got cancelled it felt like a death in the family. Okay, that may be melodramatic, but F & G was such an accurate depiction of high school.

And it wasn't just a completely accurate depiction of high school in the early 1980's; it perfectly captured what it's like to be a teenager in any time or place. (Duggers et al excluded :( ) My late grandmother who was in her 80's at the time loved the show too. Turned out Sam Weir reiminded her of a boy she'd known back in 1929!

I got my 13 year old niece into it by showing her clips on youtube. It may have died young, but it'll live forever.

Freaks and Geeks rocked. We have it on DVD now. It's nice to go back and see what a good actor Seth Rogen was before he turned into a misogynist asshole.

One the 700 Club, it's only "Freaks".

Now that I think about it, the 700 Club was sort of my pre-Internet gateway to fundiedom. I used to watch it in the 80s, all slack jawed and amazed, because their Christian weirdness was like nothing I saw in real life. Of course, Pat Robinson is down with modern medicine, higher education for women, women in the workplace and all that, so, really, I had no idea how strange it was all going to be.

Archived