IGNORED

Fundie boys and female coworkers

YPestis

I went to school with an uber-fundie guy. He never really fit in and for the most part, he was despised by all his classmates. His social awkwardness was compounded when he would interject his beliefs into class discussion. He often tried to provoke debates about homeschooling and whatnot. After the first year, people just flat out ignored his questions and carried on as though he'd never brought it up.

I often wonder if he was ever able to make it at a "real job."

Back in 1979, when fundies were virtually unheard of here in New England, there was a young fundie file clerk in our office. He was a sweet, naive guy not long out of college, sad that the only job he could get was as a file clerk. I would overhear him talking to the occasional sympathetic soul about how wonderful it felt when he was "saved." I learned that a couple of little blonde bitches in the company used to pretend to be really interested in what he had to say, and then used to make fun of him behind his back. I often wonder what became of him.

All of the men in our company are religious. Two Christian fundie-lite guys (one partner and his assistant) and three Bible Student guys (the other partner and two engineers).

I've only ever had that sort of trouble with one of the Bible Student engineers (the other is a sweetheart), but I don't think his issue has that much to do with religion and just more to do with just feeling superior to women in general. He does not like to be challenged on anything by a female, so the other ranking woman and I do it at every opportunity. Politely, of course. I personally love to see him get flustered. :D

He clearly runs the show at home, but we're just like, "Hey, dude, we're not [his wife]".

Here's more about the Bible Students. They are kind of Christian fundies meet JWs, except they don't proselytize (thank the FSM!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Student_movement

The Christian fundie-lite partner is somewhat dominant over his wife, but he's never exhibited that behavior with the women here. We're not exactly delicate flowers, and he probably knows we'd call him on it.

Reading this thread about fundies in the workplace makes me totally grateful to work with a bunch of crazy liberals. We've got one sorta fundie receptionist, but she's totally outnumbered and pretty sweet, so we leave her alone.

I guess I'm also fortunate to not have to engage with uber fundies. I have worked with conservatives (of the Fox News, Bible study variety). However, I have never seen any of them exhibit negative attitudes towards females or nonChristians. Then again, many are also very intelligent and may just know that doing so would harm their career options.

Archived