IGNORED

Judge says Hobby Lobby must offer BC coverage

gustava

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And, already the first Facebook posting about how now Hobby Lobby will have to close its doors because they would rather lay off all their employees than provide a pill they believe causes abortion.

My friend who posted this is Southern Baptist.

http://selahvtoday.typepad.com/sbcenc/2 ... tores.html

From a business standpoint, if they were going to close soon, they were, regardless of paying for birth control. Corporations don't close their doors for reasons of conscience. The close their doors because they're no longer profitable. I'd be interested to know just how well they are doing financially.

And I got $5 that says they'll just put everyone at 29 hours a week and under so they won't have to pay for ANY kind of benefits. Then they can say, "It's the only way we can stay open and still adhere to our Christian values."

I am airy but they don't have the right to force their so great values on their employees. Sorry but your faith is personal and should not dictate others health.

But the dollar will win out over their faith on that they won't close ip shop but as usual their faith will make others suffer.

Good.

It isn't enough of a reversal for me to shop there though :-P

No one who supports their exclusion rights has ever been able to pin down for me what they would do if the employer were, instead, JW.

Should that JW employer be able to refuse to cover any and all blood transfusions, even when someone might die?

Good. I believe it is immoral to deny your workers birth control coverage, and I hate that people claim that providing health insurance that an employee may choose based on their own conscience to use for birth control is some great moral imposition. It's an imposition to push your beliefs on all your employees! Especially when, if your employees pay for their own birth control, you still benefit in terms of decreased maternity leave/child care leave/sick leave for obtaining an abortion/insurance costs of adding children to plans and paying for maternity care.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if they cut everyone's hours to 29 hours. When the government forces you to do something against your religious beliefs and the only way you can continue to follow your beliefs is to cut people's hours to 29 hours a week so you don't have to provide insurance at all, then I guess that's what you have to do. I think Obamacare will result in many, many people losing their current healthcare plans because of this very thing. Oh well, they can just go on Medicaid if they qualify, of course good luck finding a doctor that accepts Medicaid. The number of doctors who accept Medicaid in our area is down almost 30% from two years ago and it continues to go that direction.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if they cut everyone's hours to 29 hours. When the government forces you to do something against your religious beliefs and the only way you can continue to follow your beliefs is to cut people's hours to 29 hours a week so you don't have to provide insurance at all, then I guess that's what you have to do. I think Obamacare will result in many, many people losing their current healthcare plans because of this very thing. Oh well, they can just go on Medicaid if they qualify, of course good luck finding a doctor that accepts Medicaid. The number of doctors who accept Medicaid in our area is down almost 30% from two years ago and it continues to go that direction.

I believe the protection of religious freedom in the US stops before allowing one (person, company, etc.) to impose those beliefs on others, so no.

Don't you have your own thread now?

I believe the protection of religious freedom in the US stops before allowing one (person, company, etc.) to impose those beliefs on others, so no.

Don't you have your own thread now?

And Hobby Lobby would be within their legal rights to cut all employees hours to a point where they can stop providing health insurance completely. All the Obamacare supporters shouldn't really care anyway since those employees can always get insurance through either their state or the federal exchange.

+1. This is a step in right direction (finally!). I'm sick of hearing about women being denied rights, so this is a nice change in pace! :clap:

Actually, if more people relied on Medicaid, it would probably get more financial support and start being more profitable, and more providers would accept it. That would decrease the disparity in our current system where only poor people are on Medicaid, which provides less accessible care than fancy schmantzy private insurance or the "deserving's" Medicare.

(The term deserving being used with absolute sarcasm.)

I have family members who rely on Medicaid, and I would fully support its being expanded and made better.

I think Obamacare will result in many, many people losing their current healthcare plans because of this very thing.

What are you basing this conclusion on?

Massachusetts has had Romneycare - which is essentially the same thing as Obamacare but administered at the state level - for a number of years now and this has not happened. So there is a real life program you can study rather than just go with your own gut feelings on the issue.

However, I think it is high time for employers to get out of the business of their employees' health. Period. My employer should not have any say regarding what prescriptions I take or whether my husband should be allowed to have a vasectomy. Or whether my kids should be vaccinated or not.

Hopefully we will quickly move to a single-payer, Medicare-for-all type program. No one's health should depend on who their employer is or what that employer believes. And those folks who cannot find employment with health benefits should also be allowed to live, don't you think?

And Hobby Lobby would be within their legal rights to cut all employees hours to a point where they can stop providing health insurance completely. All the Obamacare supporters shouldn't really care anyway since those employees can always get insurance through either their state or the federal exchange.

And just because they have the right to do so does not mean it is an ethically defensible reason to cut workers' hours that drastically.

ETA: Employees would have an equally legal right to strike or quit en mass if that happened.

Haven't you a frumper to sew or something?

All this is well and good...until it's your husband's hours that gets cut and your insurance that winds up under Obamacare. The irony is delicious.

And if you refuse Obamacare, pay the find, but then get sick, Dear Baby Jeebus help you if you need expensive medical interventions. I hope you know all about bankruptcy. It sounds like you and a lot of your fundie friends will be sailing that ship down the river in about 5 years.

Hopefully we will quickly move to a single-payer, Medicare-for-all type program. No one's health should depend on who their employer is or what that employer believes. And those folks who cannot find employment with health benefits should also be allowed to live, don't you think?

Don't be silly! Of course she doesn't believe they should live!

Archived