IGNORED

I couldn't have said it better - Pat Condell

latraviata

I know people who have a health care education but still aren't suitable for the job. However, I do have other education, the same one as you do.

Are you sure? Are you a (emeritus) university professor, you did research, you published??

Why are you working in health care, idiological reasons?

I know people who have a health care education but still aren't suitable for the job. However, I do have other education, the same one as you do.

I would like to add:

Uneducated people is always better than educated people

Poor people is always better than rich people

Blue collar people is always better than white colour people

Speaking about stereotypes......

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure? Are you a (emeritus) university professor, you did research, you published??

Why are you working in health care, idiological reasons?

I meant that I'm a behavioural scientist, and I think I've read you are a behavioural scientist/psychologist. Not sure which. But no, I'm 22 so obviously I'm not that far in my education. However I will have another degree in January (B.A. in social work).

I'm working in the health care temporarily... because I don't have much work experience so I have to start somewhere.

I meant that I'm a behavioural scientist, and I think I've read you are a behavioural scientist/psychologist. Not sure which. But no, I'm 22 so obviously I'm not that far in my education. However I will have another degree in January (B.A. in social work).

Ok, fair enough, I think the qualification 'scientist' is a bit exaggerated though.

But never mind, good luck to you.

've read you are a behavioural scientist/psychologist. Not sure which.

Psychology is behavioural science.

I know people who have a health care education but still aren't suitable for the job.

I know too. Harold shipman. Michael Swango. Jane Toppan. John Bodkin Adams. Beverley Allit. In Finland a nurse killed an elderly patient and tried to kill 7 month old infant using insulin. Another nurse killed 5 patients and tried to kill 5 another using sedatives. In my aunt's hospital (she is a nurse) a physician lost his license and was prosecuted after odd deaths in his ward (before he came there were 12-15 deaths per year, in his time deaths quadrupled).

And these are just a few of the dangerous ones. I have met quite a few myself who really aren't suitable for caring other people. I still hate that night nurse who unnecessarily hurt me every night when she cleansed cannula. Other nurses never made it hurt :evil:

I would like to add:

Uneducated people is always better than educated people

Poor people is always better than rich people

Blue collar people is always better than white colour people

Speaking about stereotypes......

I think this is stupid comment. Some people are not suitable for their profession. It is not a stereotype. It is a fact.

I think this is stupid comment. Some people are not suitable for their profession. It is not a stereotype. It is a fact.

But it is hardly an argument in a discussion is it?

Will someone explain to me how it's not hygienic to cover one's body while caring for another? I could see loose clothes posing issues, but as far as I know, head coverings are standard in the operating room, and you should see the getups the CDC and WHO put on when they go into certain infectious disease settings...

France has a very restricted separation of church and state (Laïcité) but on friday night the streets of Paris are plastered with praying men and not accessible for non muslims and traffic.

This is from a while back, but WTH?? I live in Paris and this is not even close to true. At all. In some of the banlieux you can find a lot of people praying on Fridays but certainly not enough to block traffic and there is absolutely nothing of the sort in Paris proper.

There are major problems here with integrating the Muslim population - but I think it has more to do with conflict between laïcité, the traditional ideal of assimilation, and France's history with its Muslim colonies than the peculiarities of Muslim culture. It's far more complex than just, Muslims are causing cultural problems and refuse to assimilate, the end.

This is from a while back, but WTH?? I live in Paris and this is not even close to true. At all. In some of the banlieux you can find a lot of people praying on Fridays but certainly not enough to block traffic and there is absolutely nothing of the sort in Paris proper.

There are major problems here with integrating the Muslim population - but I think it has more to do with conflict between laïcité, the traditional ideal of assimilation, and France's history with its Muslim colonies than the peculiarities of Muslim culture. It's far more complex than just, Muslims are causing cultural problems and refuse to assimilate, the end.

http://wn.com/Islam_in_Paris_Friday_prayer

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/09/paris ... rvene.html

http://immigration.blogs.liberation.fr/ ... paris.html

http://abna.ir/data.asp?lang=3&id=252250

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... reets&aq=f

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=714_1283436235

Psychology is behavioural science.

And so? Sociology is also behavioural science. Behaviourist is not the same as a psychologist.

No, it is a social science.

So how come I'm a behaviorist if I studied sociology which you claim isn't behavioural science?

Definition: "A behaviorist is someone who has at least a bachelor's degree in any behavioral science majors: education, psychology or sociology."

I wouldn't call any of those video sources unbiased, and as I said, there are times when people can be seen praying in Paris. There are NEVER times when it would be accurate to say the street traffic in Paris is blocked because of prayers - sure, in very small areas (we're talking a few streets in the north) it will get crowded but these videos are grossly exaggerating it. I can tell the first one is in a banlieu and some of these appear to be areas where cars aren't allowed or are very restricted anyway (due to very narrow streets - I live on such a street that is blocked to cars most of the time and there are always people walking around freely. If someone were to take a video it would appear they were blocking cars as well.) I could say similar things about the fleets of slow moving nuns that regularly get on and off of buses around the area where I work.

Again, I live in Paris and have never experienced a problem in getting around due to Friday prayers - I have no reason to lie about this. I've never heard any of my friends here complain about this. I can't say the same thing about certain areas during mass times for Catholics, though.

So how come I'm a behaviorist if I studied sociology which you claim isn't behavioural science?

Definition: "A behaviorist is someone who has at least a bachelor's degree in any behavioral science majors: education, psychology or sociology."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioural_sciences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_sciences

What is exactly the point of all this?

In Alaska, we are facing a "skilled laborer" shortage. The people who moved here to build the Trans-Alaska Pipeline are reaching the age of retirement, and there are so few young people who have the skills to pick up the jobs quickly. One of the problems we have is something that people don't like to admit -- the emphasis on "college prep" education. I personally, love the idea of more people with college degrees. Education is important.

But to completely dismiss the idea of career and technical ed, when it's much more suited to certain personalities is a problem. It leaves us with shortages in jobs that are high-priority that require skills. No one cares when you are working in the field if you can quote Henry James. What matters there is if you can weld metal or operate very expensive machines. So the companies hire where ever they can. It's a problem that I'm assuming happens everywhere - people know we need "ditch diggers," but they don't want to do it, and they don't want their kids to do it, and they don't want immigrants to have jobs, so the workforce is left with "issues."

/soapbox

As a teacher, with a graduate degree, I totally agree. This isn't going to help people who are lazy, yet could afford technical training after high school, but think it is too much trouble. (I'm thinking of somebody in particular who refused to go to culinary school, even if he had applied and gotten in I know another person would have paid for most of it) But for those who truly can't afford tech school, aren't going to go to college and really need to have a trade when they graduate. There used to be woodshop, and auto shop, and other classes, but they're gone from a lot of schools now.

I wouldn't call any of those video sources unbiased, and as I said, there are times when people can be seen praying in Paris. There are NEVER times when it would be accurate to say the street traffic in Paris is blocked because of prayers - sure, in very small areas (we're talking a few streets in the north) it will get crowded but these videos are grossly exaggerating it. I can tell the first one is in a banlieu and some of these appear to be areas where cars aren't allowed or are very restricted anyway (due to very narrow streets - I live on such a street that is blocked to cars most of the time and there are always people walking around freely. If someone were to take a video it would appear they were blocking cars as well.) I could say similar things about the fleets of slow moving nuns that regularly get on and off of buses around the area where I work.

Again, I live in Paris and have never experienced a problem in getting around due to Friday prayers - I have no reason to lie about this. I've never heard any of my friends here complain about this. I can't say the same thing about certain areas during mass times for Catholics, though.

I know Paris quite well and don't live there though, but I know the 18th arrondisement is not exactly a banlieue.

I have family and friends living in Paris and they complain about it.

Will someone explain to me how it's not hygienic to cover one's body while caring for another? I could see loose clothes posing issues, but as far as I know, head coverings are standard in the operating room, and you should see the getups the CDC and WHO put on when they go into certain infectious disease settings...

The doctor's white coat is absolutely filthy in comparison.

Well, you tell me what the point is. I'm a behaviourist. I have studied sociology and not psychology. Perhaps sociology was listed as social science back in the days when you studied, but nowadays it's counted as behavioral science. So yes, it's important to make a distinction between a psychologist and a behaviourist.

Just FYI: I have never heard "behaviorist" to be refer to someone who studied psychology or sociology generally, but only to someone who subscribes to a particular school of psychology, usually associated with BF Skinner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behaviorism

This is exactly the reason that I am done and I couldn't be bothered to give any further explanation on the matter.

She is a 22 year old who thinks she knows better. I am glad she is not my student though.

In Scandinavian universities there are faculties called the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences and students study human growth, development, behaviour, learning and activities. For example in our biggest university, university of Helsinki faculty (I quote): "The Faculty of Behavioural Sciences offers first cycle university degrees [bachelor of Arts (Education), Bachelor of Arts, and Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)], and second cycle university degrees [Master of Arts (Education), Master of Arts, and Master of Arts (Psychology)].

It is also possible to obtain scientific postgraduate degrees: Licentiate of Education and Doctor of Education, Licentiate of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy, and Licentiate of Arts (Psychology) and Doctor of Philosophy (Psychology)."

The faculties usually do research in departments such as educational sciences, psychology&cognitive science and speech sciences. In my own university sociology and psychology students are in the same department (Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy).

This might explain something.

In Scandinavian universities there are faculties called the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences and students study human growth, development, behaviour, learning and activities. For example in our biggest university, university of Helsinki faculty (I quote): "The Faculty of Behavioural Sciences offers first cycle university degrees [bachelor of Arts (Education), Bachelor of Arts, and Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)], and second cycle university degrees [Master of Arts (Education), Master of Arts, and Master of Arts (Psychology)].

It is also possible to obtain scientific postgraduate degrees: Licentiate of Education and Doctor of Education, Licentiate of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy, and Licentiate of Arts (Psychology) and Doctor of Philosophy (Psychology)."

The faculties usually do research in departments such as educational sciences, psychology&cognitive science and speech sciences. In my own university sociology and psychology students are in the same department (Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy).

This might explain something.

Like what? Behavioural science not being the same as a behaviorist?

Eh. Someone who is graduated from Behavioural Sciences is called a behaviorist (here). (käyttäytymistieteet > käyttäytymistieteilijä) Don't blame me if there isn't other translation for that. It seems that concept x might not be same in other countries: same shit, different wrapping. So it is bloody useless to bark the wrong tree.

Archived