IGNORED

Former Bush Adviser Issues Gruesome Warning On Rape Remarks

doggie

This woman is kicking some serious GOP ass. Too bad she did not do it months ago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... 17174.html

Former Bush Adviser Issues Gruesome Warning On Rape Remarks

For any Republican man considering following in the footsteps of Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) or failed Indiana Senate candidate Richard Mourdock by making insensitive comments about rape, be forewarned: former George W. Bush adviser Karen Hughes will be very displeased. In an op-ed in Politico last week offering advice to the GOP in the wake of their defeats on Tuesday -- which included Mourdock and Akin, who lost a bid for Missouri Senate -- Hughes lashed out particularly harshly against Republicans responsible for controversial remarks about rape and abortion. "And if another Republican man says anything about rape other than it is a horrific, violent crime, I want to personally cut out his tongue," she wrote. "The college-age daughters of many of my friends voted for Obama because they were completely turned off by Neanderthal comments like the suggestion of 'legitimate rape.'" While Hughes' language is quite graphic, the underlying advice appears solid. A host of Republican candidates who drew fervent criticism for their comments about rape ended up losing last week. [H/T Salon]

Naturally she didn't have the ovaries to make these remarks prior to the election. She has no lady balls, it's a little to late for her to be offering the advice.

Naturally she didn't have the ovaries to make these remarks prior to the election. She has no lady balls, it's a little to late for her to be offering the advice.

Exactly. In another country those people would have been banned to represent the party.

Exactly. In another country those people would have been banned to represent the party.

Amen. Too little, too late, Karen Hughes.

Guest Anonymous

Those rape comments helped us all dodge a bullet. We didn't need the Republicans to show their respectable face before the election, we needed them to show all of the nastiness, every grubby bit of it.

Those rape comments helped us all dodge a bullet. We didn't need the Republicans to show their respectable face before the election, we needed them to show all of the nastiness, every grubby bit of it.

Truth.

Doing a post-mortem following electoral defeat is different from offering criticism in the middle of an election campaign.

She's a former Bush advisor. Her guy has been gone for 4 years. I don't know if she had any standing with Romney or the 2012 GOP campaign. The order to cease and desist the rape comments really needed to come from the top during the campaign - from Romney himself, from the other candidates and from the Republican campaign headquarters.

Now that the wingnuts were defeated, the knives are out. Within the GOP, the critics won't be seen as traitors, but as the voices of sanity capable of bringing back the party and putting it on a better track for 2016.

Wow. I didn't know that in other countries making offensive remarks could get you banned from taking part in an election.

Wow. I didn't know that in other countries making offensive remarks could get you banned from taking part in an election.

I'm not Sophie but I believe she was saying something to the effect that spouting such crap would make it impossible to get the party's nomination, meaning that you could still run independantly but couldn't represent the party.

I don't think any of these right-wing fucknuts will ever moderate their beliefs, just their speech. And frankly, I'd rather have it all out in the open so reasonable members of the Republican party don't get sucked in by a wolf in sheep's clothing. Do you honestly want the Akins and Mourdocks of the world to tone it down to boost their appeal and electability so they can unleash the hate once they're in office? No thanks. So go on guys, keep it up! I like to know exactly where people stand.

It's too little, too late bitch! Why didn't you speak out when the rape remarks first started? Your words don't mean a damn thing now, and I'm pretty sure it's a half-assed attempt to make the GOP look good in order to win back voters.

Stupid question from a Canadian here:

In Canada, the leader of the party has the right to boot a candidate or a member of Parliament out of that party. If that happens, they are still a candidate or Member of Parliament, but they become an independent. [in 1993, I managed to get a racist candidate kicked out of his party 12 days before a federal election.]

Does that same ability exist in the United States? If a candidate for Senate gets the Republican nomination, is there any way that it can be taken away? If so, by whom? Also, is there anything that stops non-Republicans from supporting wingnuts over normal candidates, to make their opponents look as crazy as possible? [i'm still amazed that the Democrats spent $1.5 million to get Akin nominated.]

"And if another Republican man says anything about rape other than it is a horrific, violent crime, I want to personally cut out his tongue," she wrote.

So if a Democrat man says anything offensive that will be okay?

"The college-age daughters of many of my friends voted for Obama because they were completely turned off by Neanderthal comments like the suggestion of 'legitimate rape.'" While Hughes' language is quite graphic, the underlying advice appears solid. A host of Republican candidates who drew fervent criticism for their comments about rape ended up losing last week.

Why didn't they just not vote for Mourdock or Akin? What does what they say have to do with Romney?

Doing a post-mortem following electoral defeat is different from offering criticism in the middle of an election campaign.

She's a former Bush advisor. Her guy has been gone for 4 years. I don't know if she had any standing with Romney or the 2012 GOP campaign. The order to cease and desist the rape comments really needed to come from the top during the campaign - from Romney himself, from the other candidates and from the Republican campaign headquarters.

One of the things that endeared Pres. Obama to me was his quiet response to this. "Rape is a crime." No posturing, no defensiveness, nothing like that. Just a simple statement that Rape Is A Crime.

That was the point I started to really feel excited about voting for Obama rather than voting against the Republicans.

Why didn't they just not vote for Mourdock or Akin? What does what they say have to do with Romney?

The GOP is the party that is overwhelmingly apologetic to rape. Considering that Romney changed pretty much all of his political views to get on the nomination, I have no doubt he will become a rape apologist if the right person asks him. I will not vote for someone who was nominated based on the fact that he will do what he told--especially not when the people telling him what to do make Machiavelli's infamous prince look like an angel.

Those are all questions you should be posing Karen Hughes, Doggie didn't write the article.

Those are all questions you should be posing Karen Hughes, Doggie didn't write the article.

It's something that should be thought about to those here as well. Two candidates does not equal "overwhelmingly apologetic to rape".

It's something that should be thought about to those here as well. Two candidates does not equal "overwhelmingly apologetic to rape".

It was closer to 12 candidates and over 37 pieces of anti woman legislation all supported by the R's. Again the questions are best addressed by the party of denial. Republican did too little too late and not loud enough. I'm good with it all.

There are at least four that I can think of, all at the state or national level. And then the one who said it should be okay to kill your kids.

There are at least four that I can think of, all at the state or national level. And then the one who said it should be okay to kill your kids.

I should have qualified my response, the figures I gave are for the calendar year 2012. The numbers are much higher if we look back 4 years.

Here you go darling. The last thread you got so darn busy you just had to leave when questions got tough.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13539

I would encourage people to just link jericho to this thread because what he did in that thread is exactly what he will do in this one, so might as well keep it to one thread.

Archived