IGNORED

Let's trick and intimidate people into not voting!

SpeakNow

The only reason for an boss to send out letters urging people to vote a certain way is if they wanted to use their position of power to intimidate people into voting how they wanted them to vote.

This.

The only reason for an boss to send out letters urging people to vote a certain way is if they wanted to use their position of power to intimidate people into voting how they wanted them to vote.

Exactly! And considering people are desperate to hang out to their jobs I can imagine them voting for the candidate their boss likes. This is chilling. I don't recall any boss of mine telling me who to vote for, just encouraging me to vote because it was my duty and right as a citizen.

And have we had this political-based intimidation done by bosses to their employees done in past election years?

Why is there any need for an employer to send out letters urging employees to vote for a person? And, I don't know about jobs that you worked at, but I always had to read things that my employers sent me, because you never know what it is going to say, so unless this is going come with huge letters at the top saying THIS DOESN'T RELATE TO YOUR JOB AT ALL AND IS JUST HE OPINION OF YOUR BOSS. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THIS, FOLLOW THIS OR TAKE THIS OPINION INTO CONSIDERATION AT ALL. Then employees are going to be forced to read it because they will have no way to know if it is important to their job.

Hmm...I think it's wrong, but they have no way of telling who you voted for (luckily). I think if someone did that I'd just laugh it off because my vote is mine and they can't have it and will never know. Well, I'd laugh it off as I voted, but I'd probably report it too and try and find a new job. So it's sort of pressure...but there are absolutely no consequences if you ignore the pressure, so I don't think it's as insidious as some other things bosses can do.

Although, if they asked you afterwards, that would just make it worse, it would be hard to lie, and if you didn't tell them they might get cross...hmm. Then again that would definitely be over the line.

I can't imagine any of my bosses doing that.

Hmm...I think it's wrong, but they have no way of telling who you voted for (luckily). I think if someone did that I'd just laugh it off because my vote is mine and they can't have it and will never know. Well, I'd laugh it off as I voted, but I'd probably report it too and try and find a new job. So it's sort of pressure...but there are absolutely no consequences if you ignore the pressure, so I don't think it's as insidious as some other things bosses can do.

Although, if they asked you afterwards, that would just make it worse, it would be hard to lie, and if you didn't tell them they might get cross...hmm. Then again that would definitely be over the line.

I can't imagine any of my bosses doing that.

The problem is that there is a veiled threat - if the democrats win, we'll be firing people. If you vote democratic, people will lose their jobs (and one of them might be you). Additionally, there's the chance employees won't feel comfortable supporting their candidates in other ways (attending events, donating, sign on the lawn, sticker on the car) that could help their candidate in the election. There's also the issue that finding a new job isn't always easy (especially now!).

Also, in the U.S. voter registration is public record, so an employer can very easily find out which employees are registered to vote and what party affiliation they have. It is why many people I know register as independent, even though it means in NY you can't vote in the primaries. They don't want to get passers over for a job or promotion or lose their job because of an election.

Someone in the position of power, be it boss, parent, priest or other has no right to tell you who to vote for or threaten consequences if their preferred candidate does not get elected. Let me repeat...NO ONE in a position of power has the right to tell you who to vote for or threaten you with negative consequences if their candidate does not win. This is boarder line (or flat out) illegal. The person in the power position is trying to use intimidation to sway votes, be it blatant intimidation or passive intimidation. When someone makes a statement if situation X happens then I will be forced to do Y they make the statement to intimidate. I'm truly baffled why some people are more than happy to play it off like it's not a big deal.

If a boss tells you that they will be *forced* to do something if a certain candidate does or doesn't get elected they have one reason for making that comment. They are hoping that the people they are talking to will be too afraid of the consequences to not do what that person wants. And unfortunately in this unstable economy this is becoming more and more common. :(

Archived