IGNORED

Further proof that public schools are dens of evil

Knight of Ni

????

Sorry, we have a Catholic who's worried about incense?

Do you think she should have a word with His Holiness?

(Or maybe even St Luke, what with the gifts and everything.)

Maybe it's only OK in Catholic religious context? I don't really remember hearing about burning incense outside of church, more about tarot cards, Ouija boards, and Wicca being evil. One girl got an Ouija board in my Catholic elementary school class and half of the parents banned their kids from going to her sleepovers because of that. My mom and I were actually talking about this yesterday because apparently my sister is questioning her faith but my mom was just glad she wasn't interested in Wicca. I think incense might have been bad if you were using it for a "magic" ritual or something, putting that in quotes how they would describe it. (I always liked burning incense in church, though. I was an altar server growing up and it was fun to help the priests with that even though it really bothered my allergies!)

I have heard arguments against yoga because of the spirituality but I don't remember where, I think that is more of a fundy type argument since it has become more mainstream. If they are just doing the movements, I don't see the harm either...

The yoga teachers at the Y here are not allowed to say Namaste, because that would make them Satanic or something, and all their students would immediately become possessed and start murdering babies and listening to Alice Cooper.

I live in a really, really stupid area.

I would imagine my mother would feel about the same about incense. I'm really tempted to go to their house sometime when they aren't there and do all kinds of yoga, burn incense, play with a ouija board, meditate, read some Harry Potter, pray to the devil, and whatever else I can think of. Then tell them what I did a year later and ask them to explain why their house is no more full of demons/evil spirits than before.

I can tell you what would happen. Every toilet that blocked up, dinner that burned, remote control that disappeared, and every other annoyance that most of us would chalk up as "life" would be retroactively turned into proof that the demons you unleashed had messed with her all year.

Maybe it's only OK in Catholic religious context? I don't really remember hearing about burning incense outside of church, more about tarot cards, Ouija boards, and Wicca being evil. One girl got an Ouija board in my Catholic elementary school class and half of the parents banned their kids from going to her sleepovers because of that. My mom and I were actually talking about this yesterday because apparently my sister is questioning her faith but my mom was just glad she wasn't interested in Wicca. I think incense might have been bad if you were using it for a "magic" ritual or something, putting that in quotes how they would describe it. (I always liked burning incense in church, though. I was an altar server growing up and it was fun to help the priests with that even though it really bothered my allergies!)

I have heard arguments against yoga because of the spirituality but I don't remember where, I think that is more of a fundy type argument since it has become more mainstream. If they are just doing the movements, I don't see the harm either...

Yeah, my mom does and says a lot of weird shit so I don't know what the big deal was. Maybe because they weren't blessed and I bought them at the mall where all the sinners hang out ??

She did call me a devil worshipper once so maybe she thought I was trying to summon demons with evil incense

I grew up in the South with fundie-lites of all stripes, and I've never heard of anyone flipping out about yoga.

Quite the opposite, actually. Any business that offers cheap yoga classes is going to be quite popular.

My creative writing teacher actually had us do yoga in class, in a public high school, but it's a creative writing class and those generally don't attract a lot of fundies. A lot of other woo-woo types, but not fundies.

Having done yoga before, in the US it's just the stretches. Occasionally the instructor might say something vaguely spiritual, but I've never been able to connect it to Hinduism (though I know next to nothing about Hinduism, despite taking yoga... :? )

I remember my mom having a shit fit about yoga being on the PBS station at some point because it was "like teaching a religion" and she didn't want me watching it. 20 years later my best friend threw a similar shit fit about the yoga studio moving in next to the coffee shop as it didn't teach the religion, only the stretching.

I have no idea what is socially acceptable to feel now.

LOL My mother watched "Lilias, Yoga and You" (that's the PBS show) when I was a teenager back in the 1970s. That show was the furthest thing from chanting in a Hindu temple, incense burning, etc. That friend of yours complaining about the yoga studio is about 40 years too late (Lilias first went on the air back in 1972).

Sheesh, yoga's a technique. Get over it. (Says the overweight woman who thinks "downward dog" is a command to give to an overactive Chihuahua.)

Archived