IGNORED

Pope names 7 new saints, seeks to revive faith

doggie

there are so many problems with this it is hard to believe it all.

: Kateri Tekakwitha, the first Native American saint from the U.S., was a orphan because smallpox killed her family (thank you Christians for that) brainwashed into Christianity and made be an outcast

Calungsod, was a Filipino teenager who helped Jesuit priests convert natives in Guam in the 17th century but was killed by spear-wielding villagers opposed to the missionaries' efforts to baptize their children.

this one is even more wonderful. He did hateful things to his own people and he is great for that.

more saints is not goign to bring back the church.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_289563/conten ... d=yxgxnp8s

About the only person in that bunch who did something real, tangible and helpful outside of trying to push Catholicism on native peoples was Mother Marianne Cope. She went to Molokai and basically replaced Father Damien in caring for the lepers there. Considering he was dying of leprosy when she arrived, and she could have gotten the disease (but didn't), it took a lot of guts. She I can respect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marianne_Cope

The rest, not so much.

About the only person in that bunch who did something real, tangible and helpful outside of trying to push Catholicism on native peoples was Mother Marianne Cope. She went to Molokai and basically replaced Father Damien in caring for the lepers there. Considering he was dying of leprosy when she arrived, and she could have gotten the disease (but didn't), it took a lot of guts. She I can respect.

The rest, not so much.

Cope is credited with being the first advocate for patient's rights and improved cleanliness standards in hosptals. Its amazing how much medicine has advanced. I've often wondered if christian science would have made the strides that it did if going to the hospital in the 1800's wasnt a death sentence.

Although these saints are admirable in most respects, I'm still not attending mass and will continue to protest as best I can. Untill you take responsiblity for your misdeeds on the LIVING, instead of honoring the dead 24/7, which is good and all but doesn't really help your image of priests raping children which you won't apologize for and denying LGBTs and women their rights, you still lost a mass-goer and will lose liberal mass-goers. What the fuck don't you get about that, Pope Dipshit? Like I said before: people care more about their rights, not fancy ceremonies. Get that through your fucking thick skull.

The rest, not so much.

I agree with you on this.

I agree wholeheartedly. Cope only. Sainthood should be based on an extraordinary life's work, not on being a Christian martyr. There are a lot of the latter still among us. My grandmother to be specific.

Kateri Tekakwitha is from my little corner of the world, and is a really big deal to Catholics here. They sent busloads of people to hear the good news. She's been credited with several miraculous healings and that's what they're stressing. Personally, I think all the hoopla is because she's Native American, and the church is trying to make itself more relevant to First Peoples and minorities. Good luck with that.

Kateri Tekakwitha is from my little corner of the world, and is a really big deal to Catholics here. They sent busloads of people to hear the good news. She's been credited with several miraculous healings and that's what they're stressing. Personally, I think all the hoopla is because she's Native American, and the church is trying to make itself more relevant to First Peoples and minorities. Good luck with that.

I am from NYC and she was big in my schools. I read a biography about her and it gave me nightmares. She was one of the saints who abused herself in the name of Jesus. She flogged herself, slept on thorns, burned herself with hot coals and waded into rivers in the dead of winter. I am sorry but I never thought that religion required something like this.

Although these saints are admirable in most respects, I'm still not attending mass and will continue to protest as best I can. Untill you take responsiblity for your misdeeds on the LIVING, instead of honoring the dead 24/7, which is good and all but doesn't really help your image of priests raping children which you won't apologize for and denying LGBTs and women their rights, you still lost a mass-goer and will lose liberal mass-goers. What the fuck don't you get about that, Pope Dipshit? Like I said before: people care more about their rights, not fancy ceremonies. Get that through your fucking thick skull.

I agree, as someone who was baptized Catholic as an infant, while the only time I plan to go to a mass now is for my grandmother's funeral when she dies.

There's a statue of the Blessed Kateri (St. Kateri, now I guess) in front of the Cathedral of St. Francis here. She's a very big deal to the First Nations here.

Sobe, where do you live? I'm between Albany and Saratoga Springs, NY. People here are thrilled to have one of their own made a saint. One of our local tv stations is running a special about the saints of upstate New York. How many are there?

I'm so going to hell for reading the headlines about the Native American and FIlipino saints and thinking, "So the Vatican is casting its own version of the Super Friends?"

Sobe, where do you live? I'm between Albany and Saratoga Springs, NY. People here are thrilled to have one of their own made a saint. One of our local tv stations is running a special about the saints of upstate New York. How many are there?

Oddly enough, I'm all the way across the country from you in New Mexico! There's a beautiful statue of St. Kateri in front of the Cathedral in Santa Fe. She's very popular among the Navajo and Puebloan people here. I don't know what her status is among the Eastern NM Native American tribes like the Zuni and Apache though. There are santos and medals of her pretty widely available in most Catholic stores here.

"Anna Schaeffer, a 19th century German lay woman who became a model for the sick and suffering after she fell into a boiler and badly burned her legs. The wounds never healed, causing her constant pain." That's all they say about her. That is certainly terrible. She doesnt even have a wikipedia entry! What were her miracles?

Poor kateri I bet was never thought a saint when she lived or even accepted by white people. That's one of the bigs things that bother me about this. They only accept her after she dies.

Looks like the RCC's marketing department is hard at work. I guess it beats coverage of molestation victims.

Was my laughing at that comment sinful? Just wondering if I should hit up the confessional...

Was my laughing at that comment sinful? Just wondering if I should hit up the confessional...

As a new convert, I say no. :) If the church (as an institution) doesn't want people to laugh at it or criticize it, they should at least attempt to live above reproach. Until the church cleans house insteads of covers up, I feel justified for speaking out against its injustices.

I feel a bit perplexed (for lack of a better word!) about Kateri Tekakwita's canonization...

Basically she got "rewarded" for converting to her colonizers' religion and dismissing her own people's cultural traditions. Yay. She spent most of her life not too far from here, but there were barely a mention of her canonization in the news...Contrary to the Frère André's, 2 or 3 yrs ago, which was covered in the media.

Archived