IGNORED

Why the word "obey" scares me...

Koala

Today I was reading over at Generation Cedar. She is promoting another blogger who is trying to raise money for an adoption. Out of curiosity I checked out their site. This is what I found:

goodnessandgraceblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/learning-to-obey.html

Daddy gave Katie an assignment. He wanted her to write a paper on obedience.

We have been teaching her about obedience since she was little.

She has had many years of hearing us (and hearing us again :), teach and talk about the importance of it.

Now it was her turn to start putting into words what she had been learning.

Daddy wanted to hear her heart on this important issue.

He wanted to give her a chance to express herself

on why obedience is so important in a girl's (or boy's) life.

She then posts a portion of Katie's writing. You'll have to read it yourself, because there are too many troubling things to quote.

Why are people like this allowed to adopt?

What worries me is, what did Daddy do if the child failed to parrot the house line?

I guess that's where the "thorns of pain through discipline" come in.... :(

Daddy wanted to hear her heart on this important issue.

He wanted to give her a chance to express herself

What strange "newspeak" is this. He didn't want to hear her heart. He wanted her to respew his spewings on the subject. Gawd forbid she should actually express her own thoughts on the matter.

"We have failed out job as parents if Katie does not "own"

God's truths as her own and believe them wholeheartedly,

desiring to pass them on to her own children."

This kinda makes me sad....I would feel that I had failed as a parent if any of my hypothetical children did not have the critical thinking skills to make their own decisions about things like this by adulthood (unless there was some kind of medical reason why they couldnt).

Does that little essay seem on level for a 12 year old? Ignoring the content, I'm never sure how to judge writing samples, but it seems a little "young"...?

"We have failed out job as parents if Katie does not "own"

God's truths as her own and believe them wholeheartedly,

desiring to pass them on to her own children."

This kinda makes me sad....I would feel that I had failed as a parent if any of my hypothetical children did not have the critical thinking skills to make their own decisions about things like this by adulthood (unless there was some kind of medical reason why they couldnt).

This. If my daughter had simply adopted my philosophies, I'd realize that I had seriously failed her early on. That would be a clear sign that she either can't think, or she's too scared to put forth her own ideas...which would mean she can't function as an adult...which would mean I blew it.

The whole thing was like a test to make sure she was thoroughly indoctrinated.

Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner! Indoctrination is always the point. They don't give a rat's ass about their kids hearts no matter what they say. It's all about appearances.

Does that little essay seem on level for a 12 year old? Ignoring the content, I'm never sure how to judge writing samples, but it seems a little "young"...?

Her essay is all over the map, and I'm convinced it wasn't written by one person. The first sentence, "During these little tests, I desire to be asking myself 'Is this honoring to the Lord?'" is nothing a 12 year old would write. On top of that, every paragraph is a hatchet job...like the "too many cooks spoil the soup" problem, only with words.

It's painful to read, mostly because every sentence conjures a sad image: A little girl struggling to write what her fundie parents have already told her they will judge her on. Between the lines, I hear her begging them to find her acceptable. It's very sad.

Can I please give Katie an assignment?

Read Eichmann in Jerusalem and about the Milgram experiment. Re-examine the implications of obedience in light of what you've read.

Can I please give Katie an assignment?

Read Eichmann in Jerusalem and about the Milgram experiment. Re-examine the implications of obedience in light of what you've read.

Extra credit for Zimbardo's prison experiment.

Any day now I expect them to just admit they really have about the same regard for their children as a family pet and start sending them to some kind of Christian obedience school. Of course to be honest most people have more regard for their pets than these people have for their children. Sometimes with the way they carry on about training and obedience you'd think they were talking about Fido instead of little kids. It makes me wonder what kind of issues someone has to have to see their kids that way. It really makes me sick to think these people abuse their kids in ways most of us wouldn't abuse an animal.

Any day now I expect them to just admit they really have about the same regard for their children as a family pet and start sending them to some kind of Christian obedience school. Of course to be honest most people have more regard for their pets than these people have for their children. Sometimes with the way they carry on about training and obedience you'd think they were talking about Fido instead of little kids. It makes me wonder what kind of issues someone has to have to see their kids that way. It really makes me sick to think these people abuse their kids in ways most of us wouldn't abuse an animal.

QFT

No one should ever learn to "obey". Abide by guidelines, follow instructions and rules for safety and well-being sure, but never blindly obey. Kids should learn to question rules and guidelines, too, and learn why they're there and how it helps them.

Obedience leads to submissiveness, which leads to abuse. But obviously this is what these people want.

What strange "newspeak" is this. He didn't want to hear her heart. He wanted her to respew his spewings on the subject. Gawd forbid she should actually express her own thoughts on the matter.

Exactly what I was thinking! How the heck do you say in one breath, you want them express themselves and then in the next TELL THEM WHAT TO EXPRESS!!!! :x ARGH! :evil:

Archived