IGNORED

Hopeful Aspiring Homemaker

Deleted08

I'd like to bet that she's never had a serious health issue and never suffered any pain worse than a headache. One of these days she'll end up with a wake up call.

This. Her attitude comes off as very entitled - not just the "modern medicine is always worthless" drivel, but her attitude about it is so superior because clearly she is better than anyone who has ever seen a doctor, and clearly everyone who is sick brought it on themselves. All I have to say to her is that she has been extremely lucky and I hope she stays that way so no hospital employee ever has to deal with her!

Regarding the US health system, it is not perfect, and we need change. But (obviously) most of the time medicine helps rather than hurts. Also, doctors are people, so misdiagnoses and other mistakes happen. We can definitely take measures to decrease errors (like the reduced working hours for residents so they are more alert/awake) but they will never go away entirely because doctors are not robots. That doesn't mean healthcare as a whole is a failure, or that doctors are evil. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they wanted to go into medicine to make people sicker/keep them sick but I guess there is always the chance :? Or that doctors are stupid... but I guess the 4 years of medical school and 3+ years of residency don't mean anything...

I hate to throw her a bone but I do agree that it's important to advocate for your own health, make informed decisions, etc. But obviously within the context of modern medicine - I'm talking about doing things like getting a second opinion on a diagnosis/treatment option.

And the coconut oil post... omg. I spent a summer working in a dermatology office doing research on melanoma. I would like to see her try to argue that with my advisor who did all the melanoma cases. She was scary... hilarious but scary (especially if you were a patient putting yourself at serious risk and she wanted to "talk" with you) and I can just hear her rant to this girl in my head :lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I often get frustrated with doctors because they can not figure out what my problems are. I get discouraged because of this and sometimes choose not to see one when I really should. However, first off, I would absolutely tell someone else they should go to the doctor, secondly, I am absolutely certain that without modern medicine I would be dead. And or more hard of hearing than I already am. I believe in modern medicine, I just... wish it was better.

This. This so much. My illness is also of that weird undefined nature that keeps me going back and forth to doctors, but I really enjoy not being in constant screaming pain. So, thanks modern medicine. I'll really feel bad when this poor, dumb kid gets really ill or is in a terrifying accident and doesn't seek medical help and suffers needlessly. But she's got more than a little case of the ultra-stupids.

Considering some of the shit I've read about on FJ you just never know...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Here are some comments from the recently cleansed 'modern medicine is evil' post:

I don't know, considering within the last year there were 36,915,331 admissions in U.S. hospitals (source: American Hospital Association), that makes the probability of death due to error something like what, .6 percent? Granted, any unnecessary death is a tragedy that shouldn't have happened, but considering that most people who are admitted to hospitals are there truly because they need to be, I think the odds are stacked in their favor that modern medicine is most likely to help, not hurt them.

What you need to understand is that even though you have not been vaccinated in about twenty years, the only reason why you have not developed horrific diseases such as polio, or small pox is because OTHER people that you've encountered have been vaccinated. This is called "herd immunity." I think it is fine to have a naturalistic approach to health (including pregnancy & childbirth) and even to be a little skeptical (you SHOULD ask your healthcare providers questions and know ALL of your options), but please realize that if everyone adopted the attitude that you have and no longer vaccinated themselves or their children, well... there's a reason why life expectancy was what it was centuries ago.

These opinions are more than just radical... they're dangerous. As a medical student, who has (I'm sure) had a lot more exposure to not only basic science applications but the outcomes for people who waited too long to get appropriate healthcare, I'm deeply concerned for the well being of anyone with this attitude towards health care and those who would read this blog and consider it for their lifestyle. I agree with the poster above that it might behoove you to pick up a biology book sometime, sooner than later.

-A concerned reader

Well, that's only the actual deaths, so if you really want to get a reasonable percentage of how many patients are hurt by their medical treatment, you'd have to find some more statistics. Two of my grandparents, who insist on their regular doctor visits and medication, have been damaged by medical treatment more than once very recently, and it's very worrisome for me.

I actually do understand that is what I'm "supposed" to believe. Natural "herd immunity" works because when the population contracts the disease and beats it, survivors get lifelong immunity to the disease. Vaccinations are only supposed to work temporarily, then you have to go get another shot. Also, if you look at some of the graphs of the history of diseases, cases were already decreasing before vaccines were introduced, due to improved understanding of hygiene, sanitation and nutrition. Some day, I believe vaccines will be considered as archaic and harmful as we now consider bloodletting to be.

I can understand why you would consider my beliefs to be dangerous considering your medical studies. I find it a little contradictory, however, since you mentioned before that one should ask questions and know ALL the options. I think natural approaches should be considered part of the range of options. While I have yet to find a condition for which I would consider standard medical treatment necessary, it's conceivable that I might someday. I am very interested in health, just not the same kind of health care you mean. I have actually studied, and am still studying Biology, focusing on Human Biology. I think what you want me to study is "modern medicine." =)

Thanks for your concern, and your polite and intelligent comment!

I just found this today. Paranoid much?

hopefulaspiringhomemaker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/weird-beliefs-and-opinions-hospitals.html

Considering some of the shit I've read about on FJ you just never know...

Not just FJ for me, I've known enough militant homebirthers for the koi to seem completely normal to me, too! Until her husband was posing with the net :lol: .

Not just FJ for me, I've known enough militant homebirthers for the koi to seem completely normal to me, too! Until her husband was posing with the net :lol: .

I was looking for the Koi link a few days back. Can someone please repost it? It's one of my absolute favorites.

One day, just one day for these anti-medicine, anti-science people WITHOUT the medicine and science they claim to hate so much. What do you bet most of them wouldn't BE alive without teh ebil modern medicine (made possible by ebiller science)?

This girl makes me so, so angry.

She has clearly never seen a child with polio before. I have. It's heartbreaking. A disease so life-altering and scary...and all that was needed was a flipping vaccine. There were Muslim clerics in Niger spreading misinformation about vaccines too, and the attitude they had about vaccines was very similar to her's. That they are some sort of mass conspiracy used to keep us ill.

She is an idiot. A complete and total idiot. To make matters worse, she is a know-it-all and very arrogant. She shouldn't be surprised that she didn't land a husband at 18. I wouldn't want to be married to anybody who thought they knew better than I did on every single subject either. It would be totally exhausting to be married to a person like her.

Her latest post just confuses me.

Ground beef broccoli alfredo???

First of all, if you're going to serve a heart attack on a plate, and you want to gild the lily, you add BACON. Pancetta if you're nasty.

Adding ground beef is like a handful of dirt. (And I love ground beef, but not there. No.) Also, broccoli? Why? There is NO WAY ON THE PLANET this would be considered a healthy meal, so why bother? And if you need to health it up, just add a handful of lawn clippings and call it a day.

Dumb. Just dumb.

But then again, she's "protecting" her skin from the sun's harmful rays with coconut oil, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I can't even bring myself to read her blog. I see patients every day who would not be alive if it weren't for vaccinations and modern medicines. Look at the statistics for pertussis, measles etc in the states that have higher rates of unvaccinated children. These diseases are making a comeback and they can be devastating when kids get them. It is awful to have to explain to a parent(s) that their baby just died from a disease that could have been prevented if they had chosen to vaccinate. If the hopeful aspiring homemaker's baby died of pertussis would she just say it was God's will? Also, koi birth is a new one for me. Hope her midwife doesn't have a fish phobia.

Her latest post just confuses me.

Ground beef broccoli alfredo???

First of all, if you're going to serve a heart attack on a plate, and you want to gild the lily, you add BACON. Pancetta if you're nasty.

Adding ground beef is like a handful of dirt. (And I love ground beef, but not there. No.) Also, broccoli? Why? There is NO WAY ON THE PLANET this would be considered a healthy meal, so why bother? And if you need to health it up, just add a handful of lawn clippings and call it a day.

Dumb. Just dumb.

But then again, she's "protecting" her skin from the sun's harmful rays with coconut oil, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

If you're going to deny your body modern medicine, shouldn't you be loading it with legumes, fresh fruit and veg and as many nuts and seeds as it can handle? Who steams broccoli and then dumps it in with a pile of muck to cook even more in the oven? What's the point? Just open a tin of peas or something. She actually made a point of not overcooking the broccoli while steaming. Yeah, that's where you bloody well stop.

That casserole alone sounds revolting. But that's not enough for our little flat-earther. She has to serve it with sweet potato chips. Woohoo, she made them herself, but she also made them with coconut oil. I know, I know, coconut oil is the new miracle food, but I'll remain skeptical, thanks.

I'm sure mountains of saturated fat and some grey broccoli will be a great natural cure for polio.

Ok I'm bored and this woman pisses me right off. Mind you I'm giving her some grace and calling her a woman. She keeps on insisting that she's ok with being single but every other post she mentions there isn't a guy on the horizon. And she's fucking reading Pearl.

I seriously doubt her homemaking skills if they toss all their dishes in the sink all day long and then finally wash them at night. I would love to have her come over for a visit. Should I extend the invite?

I nearly vomitted my dinner when I saw that there was cream cheese in it too. Cream cheese, cream, romano, and beef??? Sounds like she wants the menfolk to die early.

I nearly vomitted my dinner when I saw that there was cream cheese in it too. Cream cheese, cream, romano, and beef??? Sounds like she wants the menfolk to die early.

Maybe that's the plan so her father can't sell her house (Lynnwood)?

O.M.G.

A post containing discussion of:

- wheat berries

- cheese cloth

- sprouting stuff in huge jars covered in cheese cloth (if only it were a dress...)

She's like a more attractive, intelligent mix of a future Emily, Brandy, and a pile of the most "out there" fundies that we know of! Finally, after so long with no real consistent health cray-cray, someone I can seriously mock the ever loving shit out of! :D

http://hopefulaspiringhomemaker.blogspot.fi/2010/04/adventure-with-sprouting-wheat.html

Archived