IGNORED

"Hazardous Journeys Bootcamp" aka Doug Phillips is a tool

Maggie Mae

Perhaps the Walter Mitty-esque fantasy behind this particular "adventure" features shaggy men in battered hats with packs that tower above their heads because everything in the packs is made of wool and leather and wood. Of course, the real men who actually lugged those packs around would have had words for Phillips and his ilk, starting with "city slicker" and growing more colorful from there.

Doug Phillips is a tool. A cheapjack Wal-Mart tool that thinks it's one of those rugged things you see in the "What Is This Very Important Historic Object Used by Manly Craftsmen?" column in This Old House.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet Fellowship, of course.

Enough of that will, of course, prolong a hazardous journey.

Now I'm half-tempted to make a "Brokeback Mountain" joke, for some reason.

The VF Interns are seriously slacking off. Either that or maybe they were all ushers at Deanna Couglan's wedding?

Not only are the earlier awesome comments by FJ-ers still up but a couple more have been added:

Comment 1: I am sure everyone present was blessed. What a great Tool to bond the men.

Wednesday at 2:46pm · Like · 4

Comment 2: Doug, reading about your adventures is so inspiring. It makes me want to break out in song! This old song, in particular, which is from a more traditional era: http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=3947 Which makes me wonder which one you call Sally?

Wednesday at 8:50pm · Like · 1

Comment 3: As on the Amazonian expedition, a ship all full of men!

Thursday at 9:58am · Like · 2

Comment 4: So throw your rubbers overboard! There's no one here but men! God bless you Doug for giving men the tools to be manly!

Thursday at 7:35pm

Well done, people!

scared to even say this but i think he is kinda attractive

cure me!!!!! :oops:

Don't worry, others around here have said the same. Have you seen him without the facial scruff though? Ick.

• 2 weeks later...

Another example of Vision Forum Intern Fail (visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/09/10349/) from a Doug's Blog entry on Antietam:

The segments of the battle have been immortalized in Civil War lore — farmer Miller’s cornfield, the Dunkard Church, the sunken road, and Burnside’s Bridge.
[emphasis added]

Would that be the church where drunken soldiers went to sleep off their alcoholic stupors, or would that actually be the Dunker Church?

Doug Phillips Is A Tool

Guest Anonymous

Enough of that will, of course, prolong a hazardous journey.

Now I'm half-tempted to make a "Brokeback Mountain" joke, for some reason.

Don't let us inhibit you

Another example of Vision Forum Intern Fail (visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/09/10349/) from a Doug's Blog entry on Antietam:

[emphasis added]

Would that be the church where drunken soldiers went to sleep off their alcoholic stupors, or would that actually be the Dunker Church?

:lol:

Well, if they'd spelled it right, they'd probably be picturing a church in which people did this:

3114267499_a3a74ff024_o.jpg

or perhaps:

christ%20donut_rectangle_fullsize.jpg

I see the website has an SotDRT testimonal as well:

The man who posted the ad was Sir Earnest Shackleton, an acclaimed arctic explorer who is famous his voyage on the Endurance in which he led group of 27 men through the greatest survival story of all time.

The VF Interns are seriously slacking off. Either that or maybe they were all ushers at Deanna Couglan's wedding?

Not only are the earlier awesome comments by FJ-ers still up but a couple more have been added:

Well done, people!

*bows* I'm #3, but I give mayjah, mayjah propz to #2 and #4.

What kind of tool wants to pay MONEY to a travel company called 'Hazardous Journeys"? I mean, isn't that why you'd pay a travel agency, so it WASN"T hazardous? :P

[emphasis added]

Doug Phillips Is A Tool

Much as I hate to say it, I can't totally fault him for calling it the Dunkard Church. There are a couple of 'Dunkard' sects that came out of the Church of the Brethren, as well as 'Dunkers,' mainly a matter of pronunciation/translation from German, I think. I guess he just got them mixed up.

No excuse, though, really, if you're going to write an article about Antietam you'd better get all your facts straight, Doug (Phillips Is A Tool). :naughty:

I am constantly amused with how fundies try to stress traditional gender roles by having "feminine" tea parties and "manly" dangerous journeys. I feel these people so fear the sexual revolution that they spend all this money to stress that men are MEN and women are WOMEN. It's like the idea of men who vacuum and women who work is this huge threat to their way of life that they must constantly participate in activities that show gender differences. Why can't they just accept that some families like the traditional models and others are fine in nontraditional settings? What's the big fear coming from?

• 2 months later...

Archived