IGNORED

"Hazardous Journeys Bootcamp" aka Doug Phillips is a tool

Maggie Mae

I guess the "Father/Son Mountain Retreat" wasn't enough for Doug. Now the Hazardous Journeys Society had a "bootcamp" which looks more like a guided climb. I'm actually a little jealous, the climb looks pretty easy with some very rewarding views. Plus they ate at Himalayan Kitchen (http://www.himkitchen.com/) which looks kinda cool.

Not that I want to spend four days listening to Doug talk, but why aren't girls allowed? Such ridiculousness.

Also, why would all of their packs be so heavy? Did no one teach them how to share? One of the captions said each pack was 60+ pounds. Are they each packing their own tent & bear can? SO bizarre to not share the load & share whatever you can. I'm sure that they are so manly that they couldn't imagine going ultralight & sharing a sleeping bag, or anything like that, but I see a few items (tupperware?) that could be packed more efficiently. The less you pack, the further you can go!

Also it looks like the train ride is an extra $100 per person.

www.hazardousjourneys.org/learnmore/

www.visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/08/10338/

https://www.facebook.com/hazardousjourneys (Facebook page with pictures from all four days of climbing/backpacking)

ETA: added facebook link like I originally intended & "fixed" links.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but why aren't girls allowed?

Silly! This "hazardous journey" is for manly men, not flighty, weak, feminine, fearful, and unadventurous ladies.

Edited to add "Doug Phillips is a tool" because HOW could I forget?

I wish they'd get out of my state!

Having the Maxwells and Doug Phillips (is a tool) in the same month is too much for this beautiful state to handle.

Women probably aren't allowed because they don't want the "manly men" getting shown up. That climb is ridiculously easy. I also agree with the "WTH do they have 60lb packs?" question. I've gone on weeklong backpack trips with about 40lbs. That included my tent, thermarest, sleeping bag, stove, food, etc. Looks like they were only out for 4 days.

Because Doug doesn't find women attractive does not think women can take hot anal the arduous journey.

:laughing-rolling:

I just blew curried cashews through my nose :o

Ah, how I love the Dougie (doug phillips is a tool) threads!

If there are no wimmenz who will cook? Clearly their packs are so heavy due to that simple fact. They all have to carry pre cooked meals the wimmen have prepared for them instead of things they can make. They also have to carry fresh clothes for 3 changes a day because they cant wash their own socks/undies... and undies need to be clean because dougie inspects!

**Doug Phillis is a tool**

And the fact that he references his "hazardous journeys" in the same paragraph as Neil Armstrong's only shows he is a gargantuan tool.

I just realized, this whole debacle has a FB that we have not all been banned from!

Let the games begin! May the odds ever be in your favor!

Oh dear, that must hurt far more than Dougie (the tool) with an intern who wants to keep his prestigious :roll: position at VF HQ (all assumptions made imply that said interns are of the age of consent).

I noticed that the fellows were picking a lot of wildflowers in CO. Now I could identify most without picking. I don't understand why they should be picking when they are all carrying cameras and could just photograph them. Perhaps they were to be strewn about their leaders sleeping bag to greet his chosen consort nightly?

Doug Phillips is a tool.

I noticed that the fellows were picking a lot of wildflowers in CO. Now I could identify most without picking. I don't understand why they should be picking when they are all carrying cameras and could just photograph them. Perhaps they were to be strewn about their leaders sleeping bag to greet his chosen consort nightly?

Doug Phillips is a tool.

And now it is my turn to clean the keyboard.

Doug Phillips threads are always epic because, well, Doug Phillips is a tool.

The ladies (and gentlemen) of FJ would outhike, outcamp, and outclass the hazzardous journiers, enjoying a nice glass of wine by the fire while they're trying to figure out how to put their tents up.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

I thought this might have been a thread about Jana and Jill getting a fun "hazardous" adventure while at JTTH. No such luck.

I guess Doug really IS a tool.

(and experiencedd -- All I could think of with your post was currydong flying out of your nose. So sorry!)

He really does write the snark himself:

Day 3: Before leaving the summit a number of the guys mounted the false summit to get some pictures against the incredible outline of the surrounding peaks.

Day 3: Andrew Torres, trail guide and route finder did a great job keeping the team together on both the ascent and the descent. Torres is also as nimble as a mountain goat and kept us all on our toes throughout the week.

And the pictures of the guides on day three. Oh. My.

This looks almost exactly like The Expedition at Kanukuk from a few years back. Several day long hiking trip including the Durango-Silverton train (which looks awesome). Also Christian, blah blah blah. Girls were not only allowed (high school age and maybe less), but they helped lead it. There are a LOT of co-ed hiking trips in that area. Doug Phillips is a tool for making people think this is super manly. Hazardous? Rock climbing is NOT hazardous, if you're doing it right. Neither is camping in areas like that.

Semi-crappy video of Expedition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9pCBl5iJY

Also, those FB photos of climbs are making me giggle. They look so easy. I think I've said this before on here, but rock climbing is one of those sports where women can totally dominate men. I wish these manly men would take a stroll down to their nearest rock gyms and get their asses handed to them by some five-foot-nothing 35-year-old woman with three kids.

Several day long hiking trip including the Durango-Silverton train (which looks awesome).

Not to completely threadjack here but I will say the Durango-Silverton train IS absolutely awesome.

And of course Doug Phillips is a total tool.

This looks almost exactly like The Expedition at Kanukuk from a few years back. Several day long hiking trip including the Durango-Silverton train (which looks awesome). Also Christian, blah blah blah. Girls were not only allowed (high school age and maybe less), but they helped lead it. There are a LOT of co-ed hiking trips in that area. Doug Phillips is a tool for making people think this is super manly. Hazardous? Rock climbing is NOT hazardous, if you're doing it right. Neither is camping in areas like that.

Semi-crappy video of Expedition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9pCBl5iJY

Also, those FB photos of climbs are making me giggle. They look so easy. I think I've said this before on here, but rock climbing is one of those sports where women can totally dominate men. I wish these manly men would take a stroll down to their nearest rock gyms and get their asses handed to them by some five-foot-nothing 35-year-old woman with three kids.

Yup, another example of Doug Phillips' schtick. He takes guided packaged soap-and-water tours and talks them up like seat-of-the-pants adventures into the perilous wilderness. My favorite so far is the venture into the pathless Amazon to bring Bibles to the benighted natives--aboard a comfortably retrofitted riverboat on a regularly scheduled cruise that is clearly described on the tour company's website. Comparing himself to Neil Armstrong is a new low of toolishness, however. Neil Armstrong could flick him like a booger. With his glare.

Doug Phillips is a prancing, smirking, posing, playacting, fake plastic tool.

Guest Anonymous
The ladies (and gentlemen) of FJ would outhike, outcamp, and outclass the hazzardous journiers, enjoying a nice glass of wine by the fire while they're trying to figure out how to put their tents up.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Free Jinger camping and wine appreciation weekend!

You know my dad just left on Saturday for Afghanistan (for the 5th time). Somehow Doug Phillips is a tool calling his guided prance through the mountains a "Hazardous Journey" is slightly offensive this evening.

I do pretty good pizza over the campfire :D

I have a recipe for foil potatoes that is cooked right on the campfire, from my days as an evil Girl Scout. It has real sliced potatoes, and no cream of crap soup or Velveeta.

Just wanted to say that Doug Philips is a tool.

You know my dad just left on Saturday for Afghanistan (for the 5th time). Somehow Doug Phillips is a tool calling his guided prance through the mountains a "Hazardous Journey" is slightly offensive this evening.

:romance-caress:

I hope that he is soon home safe.

Oh, and Doug Phillips is a :music-tool:

As an alternative to military service (crossing my fingers and toes for your dad, Wandering) may I offer wildland firefighting? I can point him towards several huge fires in my state alone. This is not a profession for the weak. It's hard awful dangerous work and can go really oddly unappreciated. I wanted to propose to every one I saw up here when a big fire came this close to wiping out our town five years ago.

And I'd really love to see Dougie's toolish expression when he saw that the person in charge of the whole effort, coordinating the work of some 1700 mostly manly-men firefighters, was a woman! There aren't many like her out there, who have the ability and the ambition to push her way up through what is, after all, a heavily male-dominated (for some good reasons, I admit) profession.

Archived