IGNORED

Progressive Cardinal Dies :(

Anxious Girl

I remember reading about him when John Paul II died, because a lot of my friends assumed he would be the next Pope. That was a nasty surprise.

He was a good man who really did try to do the Lord's work during his time here. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48876172/ns/world_news-europe

He lost his chance to become Pope to Benedict because of his illness. May he rest in peace. If anybody deserves to become a saint in that filthy organization that is the Vatican, it's him. :cry:

This is very sad news for the Church.

Requiescat in pace, Cardinal Martini!

RIP...

I wonder what would've happened, had he become pope instead of Ratzinger...

But no, a man like him wouldn't have lasted long on St-Peter's chair. Progressive popes don't last long: look at Joh Paul 1 and John XXIII.

Re: JP 1, I read some conspiracy theories that he was murdered. I'm usually sceptical when it comes to outlandish c. theories, but in his case his becoming pope pissed off a lot of influencial Vatican people...

RIP...

I wonder what would've happened, had he become pope instead of Ratzinger...

But no, a man like him wouldn't have lasted long on St-Peter's chair. Progressive popes don't last long: look at Joh Paul 1 and John XXIII.

Re: JP 1, I read some conspiracy theories that he was murdered. I'm usually sceptical when it comes to outlandish c. theories, but in his case his becoming pope pissed off a lot of influencial Vatican people...

What're the name(s) of the book(s)? It's sounds quite interesting and plausible, what with ignorant Christians and the Pope crying "Persecution!" is in the west when it's really not today...

What're the name(s) of the book(s)? It's sounds quite interesting and plausible, what with ignorant Christians and the Pope crying "Persecution!" is in the west when it's really not today...

In God's Name by David Yallop is probably the book you're thinking of. It was first published in 1984. According to Yallop, John Paul I was going to investigate the corruption of the Vatican Bank. Two people intimately involved with the bank, Roberto Calvi and his secretary, allegedly committed suicide in 1982. The English authorities originally ruled Calvi's death a suicide, but they later re-opened the case. Five people were acquitted of Calvi's murder in a trial held in Rome.

Pope John Paul I also wanted to liberalize the Church's stance on contraception believing that Humane Vitae was outmoded and immoral.

I loved Martini. He once said that (paraphrase) women should walk through every open door and open every closed door.

RIP Cardinal. we won't see the like for many years.

That's too bad. There were some good men in the Catholic Church, but they are all dying. He would have made a much better Pope than the current one, imho, but you're right, progressive popes do not live long.

I see much beauty in the church I was raised in, but it is mostly the art and music and some of the ritual. The corruption runs so deep, and my parents' decision to go full tilt cray fundie Catholic left a bad taste in my mouth. I do get twitchy when people refer to Catholics as "not being Christians", though. If Mormons can be considered Christian...

Archived