IGNORED

Amanda Muncks 19th bday (new post).

Justme

What a fun party! I love all the Titanic decorations. The food looks pretty yummy, too! Her main gift, a Kindle Touch!! Holy Maxwells! That's actually used for READING!!! You go girl, read some fabalous books!! So glad your sis Liz was able to celebrate with you and not ride in a canoe while wearing a denim frumper.....

Her birthday party theme was...Titanic? YAY! LET'S CELEBRATE MY BIRTHDAY BY USING ONE OF THE GREATEST MARITIME DISASTERS IN HISTORY! PAAAAARTAY!

It really makes me sick that fundies have latched on to this Titanic thing. Maybe next they will start having Cap Arcona parties. They can all dress like concentration camp victims. It will be so much fun! :puke-huge:

Yeah, the whole Titanic thing bothers me. It was a lovely time in terms of fashion and upper-class lifestyle, but those people on that ship suffered and that just shouldn't be celebrated. Remembered, yes. Celebrated and reenacted? No.

I don't get the whole Titantic thing either. What other fun, fashionable disasters would fundies perhaps enjoy?

- Johnstown Flood of 1889

- San Francisco Earthquake of 1906

- Hindenberg Disaster of 1937

- Boston Molasses Disaster of 1919

I don't get the whole Titantic thing either. What other fun, fashionable disasters would fundies perhaps enjoy?

Why not 9-11? Or Timothy McVeigh's bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City?

Or, how about smaller-scale disasters that could be done just at home with the family:

- Challenger Disaster of 1986

- WACO/Branch Davidians/David Koresh ambush

- Columbine Massacre of 1999

Anyone else with some "play along at home" ideas suitable for smaller groups?

The Titanic theme was a bit weird. But I like that the Munck kids have a little bit of freedom. Steve Maxwell would never allow any of his kids to have a Kindle.

The Titanic theme was a bit weird. But I like that the Munck kids have a little bit of freedom. Steve Maxwell would never allow any of his kids to have a Kindle.

Steve would never allow his kids to have at themed birthday party. Some of the kids are allowed smartphones. I think Steve would be ok with a Kindle if it can be "filtered" and publicly available so each child can be 'accountable' for their readings.

Hmm, I can think of a few disaster related themes-

Salem Witch Trials of 1692

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of 1911

Hartford Circus Fire (my grandmother was actually a survivor of this one) of 1944

Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse of 1981

Eruption of Mt St Helens in 1980

Mass Suicides of Heaven's Gate Cult Members of 1997

Hartford Circus Fire (my grandmother was actually a survivor of this one) of 1944

Triangle and Hartford Circus would have had great fashion.

I've never heard of this Hartford Circus event...I'm going to wiki right now. How did your grandma survive?

Hurricane Katrina hitting New Orleans. Especially when one fundie woman complained about how unladylike the women were dressed.

I've never heard of this Hartford Circus event...I'm going to wiki right now. How did your grandma survive?

Post a link when you find it -- I'm curious, too!

Yeah it's a weird theme all right. My DD's graduation dance was themed Titanic. I made the same observations but nobody thought it was funny :roll:

She was just one of the lucky ones who managed to get out. There were over 7000 people at the show, so while 168 (?) people died, the vast majority were able to get out. She was also 25 years old at the time, so she wasn't a frightened child who would have panicked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_circus_fire

Can't leave out a couple local disasters:

1989 SF earthquake; complete with bridge and freeway collapses!!!!11

1991 Oakland Hills Firestorm (I was *this* close to being forced to evacuate that day)

I really hate how VF romanticizes tragedies. As for the Munck's party, I'm such a purse whore that I'd snatch that velvet number off the tree. It's just sad that they don't acknowledge the people in steerage, if they even know of their existence.

Can't leave out a couple local disasters:

1989 SF earthquake; complete with bridge and freeway collapses!!!!11

1991 Oakland Hills Firestorm (I was *this* close to being forced to evacuate that day)

I really hate how VF romanticizes tragedies. As for the Munck's party, I'm such a purse whore that I'd snatch that velvet number off the tree. It's just sad that they don't acknowledge the people in steerage, if they even know of their existence.

No kidding. Steerage? What's that????? Duh!

I think one of us should compile a list of suggested historic reenactments and post it to the Vision Forum site. You know, just to help them brainstorm for next year.

In defense of the fundis they are not the only ones who celebrate things titanic style. I don't agree with it, but I also don't think it is exclusively fundi at all.

Oh my God, I'm dying.

I don't get why they'd want to celebrate a disaster where people died. Even if they have some romanticized version of the lifestyles and clothes of the wealthy passengers, I don't get why they'd celebrate it...people still died. They'd probably only celebrate another tragedy from the distant past (because everything was perfect and sunshine and pupies in the past, dontcha know?) and involved the upper class, because they like to pretend that's what they'd be in any historical period.

Since Amanda's basically of fundie marrying age, I wonder if they're considering selling her off to the highest fundie bidder like they nearly did with Elizabeth. I'd like to hope they learned their lesson after the Maxwells, but you never know. They seem more likely to try it with eligible VF royalty young men, if they did.

I never get the whole celebration of a Liner going down either. Just show's how stupid the Muncks; who were going to sell a daughter to Stevie Maxwell are.

Jame's Cameron's very anti English Titanic film was another example of this. When the film was released, the BBC Children's programme 'Blue Peter' - the longest and and most successfull children's programme in the world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peter invited the last remaning survior/passenger to the Blue Peter studio for an interview to explain to Blue Peter's viewers her experience. A very moving and intellgent interview. Not some SOTDRT field trip experience.

Guest Anonymous

Why not 9-11? Or Timothy McVeigh's bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City?

Or, how about smaller-scale disasters that could be done just at home with the family:

- Challenger Disaster of 1986

- WACO/Branch Davidians/David Koresh ambush

- Columbine Massacre of 1999

Anyone else with some "play along at home" ideas suitable for smaller groups?

The Donner Party

The Black Plague

The Battle of Culloden

The Irish Potato Famine

The Sepoy Mutiny

The Little Big Horn

The Bataan Death March

The People's Temple massacres at Jonestown

The Oklahoma Dustbowl

For all that family's faults - and I see many of them in their fundie social climbing - they at least know how to live life. Whatever their motives, they do their thing and enjoy it.

They were never, ever a match for the Maxwell cult.

Just like Christopher's first failed courtship. There is far too much life in the girl and the family for the Maxwells to tolerate.

Now, they bought a farm. Can you imagine the FUN and enjoyment they'll get out of life while attempting to fulfill their dream? Their earthly dream. The exploding Maxwell heads would have been heard for miles around when Elizabeth and Joseph were at the Munck's new farm for CHRISTMAS with decorations and celebrations and fun and entertainment and the excitement that comes with starting a new venture.

However, despite this theme, the Muncks do throw much better birthday parties than the Maxwells.

Steve would never allow his kids to have at themed birthday party. Some of the kids are allowed smartphones. I think Steve would be ok with a Kindle if it can be "filtered" and publicly available so each child can be 'accountable' for their readings.

The Maxwells aren't allowed to read anything but the Bible, so what on earth would they need a kindle for? They couldn't even use a Bible cover on it.

The result of the fire was major government regulation i.e. ebil big government. That and it brought to light the struggle of equality for women workers and increase in union rights. Plus, a majority of those women were Jewish immigrants. So, I'm going to say no to that one.

This goes up there with the whole idealizing Anne Boleyn as the great protestant savior. :roll:

Archived