IGNORED

Shooting at FRC

I hope the guard recovers. To early to speculate about motives. I'm sure this will help fill their coffers however things turn out.

I will never understand why people believe it is acceptable to hurt others. I hope the victim has a full and expedited recovery.

Ugh, hope the guard recovers.

That said, I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but the US really does need better gun control laws. It's like there's a shooting every other week or something. :shock:

I hope the guard recovers. To early to speculate about motives. I'm sure this will help fill their coffers however things turn out.

I agree, but some of the details are odd. He had Chik fil-A promotional material and sandwiches in a backpack according to an nbc reporter on twitter.

That said, I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but the US really does need better gun control laws. It's like there's a shooting every other week or something. :shock:

Definitely more often than THAT, though not all shootings make the news. However, it's a large country, both in area and population. Sheer numbers aren't important, it's percentages that matter. We have a high rate of shootings per capita, for a number of reasons at least one of which probably has to do with loose gun control.

I don't think it's a gun control issue- I think it's a combination of a stigma against mental illness, and the fact that it can be very hard to force people into treatment, as well as the fact that it's really hard to get guns away from somebody once they own them.

I think that if they suddenly made gun laws stricter, there would still be too many guns floating around to really have it make any difference.

ITA. There was a big push for stricter gun control after the assassinations of Dr King and Bobby Kennedy and again after the attempt on President Reagan's life. Unfortunately, I don't think we've come far enough.

I don't think it's a gun control issue- I think it's a combination of a stigma against mental illness, and the fact that it can be very hard to force people into treatment, as well as the fact that it's really hard to get guns away from somebody once they own them.

I think that if they suddenly made gun laws stricter, there would still be too many guns floating around to really have it make any difference.

I agree. That would be closing the barn door after the horse has been stolen.

In Australia they tightened up the laws after a shooting in 1996, and this included a buyback to get rid of guns floating around. It was pretty successful. They did a similar thing in 2002 where they compensated sport shooters if they voluntarily gave up their guns - a significant proportion did. But I think there were pretty big differences in the cultures even then, and guns are very ingrained in America's psyche.

I'm always to see someone get shot but I know the FRC will just not.shut.up. about being persecuted after this.

I live in a large urban area. On the 11:00 news, just about every single night, there's a story about shooting(s), though not always fatal. The biggest problem in my area is the relative ease in obtaining guns, plus a huge black market for illegal weapons. Gun buybacks have been done in the past, but don't seem to make much of a dent in the problem.

I'm hearing now that the guard was injured only in his arm, and will recover, which is good to hear.

Have you seen this? :-o :-o :-o

08/17/2012

No labels. No claims. No editorializing. Just Tony Perkins' record (#GLAADCap #FRC)

by Jeremy Hooper

I'm not saying anything about anything. I'm simply going to repost the documented and sourced quips and slips that have earned Tony Perkins the reputation that he is now facing/challenging so publicly:

Facts

- Says about gay people: “They are intolerant. They are hateful. They are vile. They are spiteful...pawns of the enemy.†(See 0:43 mark.)

- Says many gays have an "emptiness within them" (:55) because they are "operating outside of nature" (1:09)

- Says that gay young people “have a higher propensity to depression or suicide because of that internal conflict; homosexuals may recognize intuitively that their same-sex attractions are abnormal.â€

- Despite what health experts have said, insists that pedophilia is “a homosexual problem.â€

- The Family Research Council has distributed a pamphlet that erroneously depicts gay men and lesbians as physically and mentally ill pedophiles who can be cured.

- The Family Research Council has distributed a pamphlet that begins by likening the logic behind same-sex marriage to the logic behind man-horse marriage (complete with horse graphic)

- Compares gay people to terrorists (at 0:31 mark): “ack in the 80s and early 90s, I worked with the State Department in anti-terrorism and we trained about 50 different countries in defending against terrorism, and it’s, at its base, what terrorism is, it's a strike against the general populace simply to spread fear and intimidation so that they can disrupt and destabilize the system of government. That's what the homosexuals are doing here to the legal system.â€

- "It doesn't matter what society does, I think within the homosexual, most of them know that this behavior, it's just not right, it's not what we were created to do and it's against God's plan and it's contrary to our nature and the way were were created."

- “The truth is that we cannot redefine marriage without opening the door to all manner of moral and social evil.â€

- Called the It Gets Better project "disgusting," claiming it tells children "that it's okay to be immoral" and constitutes a "concerted effort to persuade kids that homosexuality is okay and actually to recruit them into that lifestyle."

- Paid $82,500 to use the phone bank of former Ku Klux Klan Grand Wizard David Duke for an election run-off.

- Claims "blood of young marines" is on hands of legislators who voted to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell.

- Claims "people know intuitively that [homosexuality] is morally wrong"

- Says "it's a fact" that homosexuality leads to "eternal damnation"

- Linked Secret Service prostitution scandal directly to open service: "[O]ver the weekend we saw the news of the President’s Secret Service detail in Colombia and the issue of them hiring prostitutes and now the White House is outraged about that. Actually in a meeting this morning my staff asked, ‘why should the President be upset’? It was actually legal; it was legal there to do that, so why should we be upset? Well, the fact is we intuitively know it’s wrong, there’s a moral law against that. The same is true for what the President has done to the military enforcing open homosexuality in our military. You can change the law but you can’t change the moral law that’s behind it. You can change the positive law, the law that is created by man, but you can’t change the moral law, it’s wrong. So what you have is you have a total breakdown and you can’t pick and choose. Morality is not a smorgasbord; you can’t pick what you want. I think you’re absolutely right, this is a fundamental issue going forward because if we say ‘let them do what we want,’ what’s next? You cannot maintain moral order if you are willing to allow a few things to slide."

- Says gays and lesbians are "held captive by the enemy"

- Claims his kids couldn't be gay because he is "teaching them the right ways that they are to interact as human beings" (3:15-3:39)

- Compared Mayor Bloomberg's proposed ban on supersized soft drinks to the "need" to ban homosexuality: "On one hand, he's happy to legislate people's food choices, using the dangers of obesity as justification. On the other, he not only promotes--but forces others to embrace--a sexual behavior that carries just as many public health risks. If that isn't hypocrisy, I don't know what is....On the "Today" show, Bloomberg reiterated that all he wants to do is improve life expectancy. If that's the case, then perhaps the Mayor should reconsider his endorsement of homosexuality, which, as Peter Sprigg explains, is one of the greatest public health hazards in America."

- Equates LGBT pride with drunkedness and adultery: "The month of June is Gay Pride Month. Now, I have not yet seen where they have declared Adultery Pride Month, I have not seen where they have declared the Drunkenness Pride Month."

- Dedicated seven minutes of a recent radio should to framing scientifically-discredited "ex-gay" therapy as "successful," encouraging gays to "escape the homosexual lifestyle"

- Tells "funny" story about his church converting "big women" into "ex-gays"

Tony Perkins [GLAAD CAP]

http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/08/no-labels-no-claims-no-editorializing-just-tperkins-record-glaadcap-frc.html

- Compares gay people to terrorists (at 0:31 mark): “ack in the 80s and early 90s, I worked with the State Department in anti-terrorism and we trained about 50 different countries in defending against terrorism, and it’s, at its base, what terrorism is, it's a strike against the general populace simply to spread fear and intimidation so that they can disrupt and destabilize the system of government. That's what the homosexuals are doing here to the legal system.â€

Damn, I'll have to put some fear and intimidation on my schedule for tomorrow. I'd completely forgotten!

Archived