IGNORED

To Train Up A Child seminar near me.

dirtyhippiegirl

So the local Seventh Day Adventist church that is literally maybe a half block from my house is holding a To Train Up A Child parenting seminar. I'm tempted to go but don't think I could sit through the entire thing without exploding from rage.

Anyway, just had to share this with someones who would understand. I nearly exploded when I saw the banner while driving past the church and even after I explained everything to my husband, he was still kind of like "that sucks, but you don't have to get homicidal about it."

/that is all

Any way to park across the street with a "Don't Hit Your Kids" banner draped across your car?

(Of course, you may not want to do that and I totally understand.)

I'm the kind of person who would get together a flyer, and when they're all in the church, hit each car in the lot with information about what following the Pearls does to kids (i.e., injury and death).

Any way to park across the street with a "Don't Hit Your Kids" banner draped across your car?

(Of course, you may not want to do that and I totally understand.)

I'm the kind of person who would get together a flyer, and when they're all in the church, hit each car in the lot with information about what following the Pearls does to kids (i.e., injury and death).

How cool is your local news? I wonder if they'd be interested in a little q/a with the leaders of the church about all the deaths.

It's interesting that he's speaking at an adventist church. The Trebilcocks were adventist as well.

I don't think of Adventists as natural followers of TTUAC because official church position is conscientious objection in war.

he was still kind of like "that sucks, but you don't have to get homicidal about it."

/that is all

"Husband dear, I would commit homicide if I saw someone treating their child like that, homicidal is all I can be just hearing about."

If the church is Adventist & they object to war (So I would assume violence in general.), I wonder if they knew what they were getting in to by inviting a TTUAC seminar into their church, or if they didn't know exactly what the Pearls "methods" are?

Maybe the leadership at the church doesn't know about the controversy and the deaths linked to Michael Pearl's teachings. When I used to attend a Southern Baptist Church that was looking into starting a Gary Ezzo class, I let them know about about how so many people had problems with failure to thrive using his methods, and the classes were cancelled. Lots of people genuinely don't know. Even if the church is pro-spanking, there is a good chance the Pearls are too extreme for them.

I too would say write the pastor and point to the harmful examples in the book, the CNN investigation etc. and cc the local media. They may cancel out of fear of bad publicity.

I was raised SDA. They're kind of fundie-lite with some random beliefs that don't fit anything else.

I remember church mothers' groups holding James Dobson seminars, and corporal punishment certainly happened in my SDA school (belts and paddles). So I am... kind of surprised at the Pearl thing, but not really. If they're unaware of the deaths, that makes it more likely they see it as training a la Dobson.

Definitely bring the news to the pastor. The Adventist church, unlike Southern Baptist, is pretty hierarchical, so if that doesn't work, go over his head to the Conference.

Well, that stinks.

I like the flyer idea! Getting some protesters together would be nice, too, if you're up for that.

Are the SDAs opposed to violence in general, or just going to war for a government?

Archived