IGNORED

Do we have a book list somewhere?

AnnieC 305

So someone on the "most dangerous books" post asked what we Fj's would do with a list that included some of the "fundie" highlights. I'd put them on a list of books people ought to read, not a list that shouldn't be read.

Then I realized that we hadn't made that list (or we did and I missed it) and we probably should. So, you know, weigh in if we haven't or share a link if we have and you remember.

------

To Train Up a Child - by the Pearls

So Much More by the Botkin sisters

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God - by J. Chauncey and S. MacDonald

Babywise by Gary Ezzo

Managers of Their Homes - by Steve & Terry Maxwell

The Institutes of Biblical Law by Rousas John Rushdoony

We need something by Gothard on this list. I don't know what.

I should have said "should read to better understand these people".

I'm reading the Maxwells' "Keeping Our Children's Hearts," which I bought used for 4 bucks, including postage (so sue me Steve). Let's just say that I'm shaking my head a LOT. How do people become so afraid of life?

I am guessing this will be the sort of thing that will go on the FJ wiki. Which reminds me, I've fallen behind on that project...

Fascinating Womenhood by Helen Andelin and The Total Woman by Marabel Morgan should be on the list. These books are absolute trash and have clearly been used by our favorite fundies to create their "ideal" woman archetype.

Intended for Pleasure by Ed Wheat M.D. and his wife Gaye Wheat.

Its a Christian Sex book and I believe the same one Jim-Boob gave to Josh the day of his wedding.

The Wheats are against oral sex calling it a short cut and not the way "God would have designed" it in part because it "limits the amount of loving verbal communication that husband and wife can have as they make love." They are also against sex toys. The Wheats have narrowed down the sexual positions of a husband and wife to just 4 basic positions.

Here's a blurb that will make you want to gouge out Ed's balls with a blunt potato peeler and slap his wife upside the head for the advice she is giving:

"If you think your husband seems to require a lot more sex than you do, ponder this illustration: If you were in the desert and you were thirsty, you'd think about a glass of water, wouldn't you? But if you're standing by the refrigerator, and there's an opportunity to push the button and get it any time you want to, the need for a drink is not nearly so urgent. Maybe the reason your husband seems never to think of anything besides sex is that he's "in the desert" and "thirsty"

"Sometimes you will be very tired and feeling as sexy as an old sock, but your husband will approach you with desire. Secular therapists say a wife should be able to respond, "Sorry, but I'm just not up to it tonight." My own opinion as a Christian wife is that we can depend on the Lord to give us the strength and ability to be as warm and responsive as our husband desires, no matter how tired we are...

..."Most important, a wise wife will not argue. She will keep her husband peaceful and satisfied and happy by gracefully conceding to his wishes, or deferring to his opinions...A husband usually welcomes the thoughtful opinions of his wife..."(pages 157-159)

Its a Christian Sex book and I believe the same one Jim-Boob gave to Josh the day of his wedding.

The Wheats are against oral sex calling it a short cut and not the way "God would have designed" it in part because it "limits the amount of loving verbal communication that husband and wife can have as they make love." They are also against sex toys. The Wheats have narrowed down the sexual positions of a husband and wife to just 4 basic positions.

Here's a blurb that will make you want to gouge out Ed's balls with a blunt potato peeler and slap his wife upside the head for the advice she is giving:

My partner and I communicate lots during oral sex. Lots of direction is a very good thing.

I'm reading the Maxwells' "Keeping Our Children's Hearts," which I bought used for 4 bucks, including postage (so sue me Steve). Let's just say that I'm shaking my head a LOT. How do people become so afraid of life?

Dunno but I've got that book too and will definitely nominate it for inclusion in the Library O' Wack.

Is there ever anything for women who desire sex more than their male partners? Or am I supposed to believe that never happens?

And I think it's entirely possible to communicate during oral.

I am guessing this will be the sort of thing that will go on the FJ wiki. Which reminds me, I've fallen behind on that project...

You're creating a FJ wiki? :shock: You. Are. Awesome!

The Surrendered Wife by Laura Doyle

It's from a secular pov, but same ol' submission crap.

Before You Meet Prince Charming, by Sarah Mally. Just picked this up at a tag sale for $ .05--can't get through more than two pages without throwing it across the room in disgust.

I think Michael Pearl wrote a book about sex. Is it Biblical Sex or something?

Also, James Dobson (Focus on the Family) could be added to the list.

Guest Anonymous
Also, James Dobson (Focus on the Family) could be added to the list.

The Strong Willed Child by James Dobson is the one where he talks about beating his dog in addition to his kids, iirc.

Before You Meet Prince Charming, by Sarah Mally. Just picked this up at a tag sale for $ .05--can't get through more than two pages without throwing it across the room in disgust.

I was going to add that one, but I wasn't sure how influential it really is, besides being the Duggar girls' favorite book. I read it as a teen. It's terrible.

Some of these fundie women are quite prolific with their "e-books," e.g., Growing Home, Generation Cedar. Too bad you have to buy those to snark on them!

(Also - hi! Longtime lurker :-))

Treemom, you must have some recommendations to add, right?

Or rather, Treemom, please add some ;)

Not really. I am not sure I have ever read a fundy book other than some of the ones at liberty, and they weren't dangerous.

Don't forget anything by Gothard. He has written a few books.

I have read that Gothard won't sell his materials to anyone who hasn't attended his Basic Seminar. I think anyone can get his homeschool stuff but you have to already be indoctrinated before you can read his other writings.

Not really. I am not sure I have ever read a fundy book other than some of the ones at liberty, and they weren't dangerous.

Oh man, I totally thought you would. Never mind, all, carry on :oops:

Archived