IGNORED

Exposing Rick Warren

deelaem

Here's an interesting read on mega-church and allegedly moderate pastor Rick Warren, and his desire to host another presidential debate. I get the feeling that the fundies are offering him up as the cheese sauce that helps their unpalatable agenda go down.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2012/07/obama-romney-and-rick-warrens-religious-test.html

Here's an interesting read on mega-church and allegedly moderate pastor Rick Warren, and his desire to host another presidential debate. I get the feeling that the fundies are offering him up as the cheese sauce that helps their unpalatable agenda go down.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2012/07/obama-romney-and-rick-warrens-religious-test.html

He's faux moderate.

Not saying Warren is moderate or not, but I know of some fundies who absolutely believe he is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Some consider him to be part of the emergent church.

Not saying Warren is moderate or not, but I know of some fundies who absolutely believe he is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Some consider him to be part of the emergent church.

What's the "emergent church"? And why would some fundies believe Warren's a wolf in sheep's clothing?

I watched what RW did to that part of Orange county by rallying the right wing when he first got there. (Not that he's stopped beating the drum.) Yea there are some real fundy enclaves in the hills outside of San Juan Capistrano that think he's the anti christ they are poor fundies. He snookered the wealthier ones in Saddleback Valley and built his empire. 5 years after he got there he had moved out of the strip mall church and owned a huge house on the lake.

Is he taking a more "in the public face" role for the evangelical political right that Francis Schaffer was taking back in the 80s with the Moral Majority? Sort of the go to guy for the theology of governance these guys try to sell........country should be moral, morality comes from the Bible, therefore the country should be run using biblical inspiration..........

What's the "emergent church"? And why would some fundies believe Warren's a wolf in sheep's clothing?

I've been trying to learn about the emergent church, so I don't know too much about it yet. A lot of people see it as a compromise of Christianity, aka not the right brand. Especially because they see it as trendy, like Mark Driscoll and his style.

It seems every time I see Warren's name mentioned in the context of a fundie blog/video/forum, it is not a good reaction. They see him as worldly and not genuine. The people I'm speaking of are not the right wing evangelical types, but the people who think both sides are awful, and are waving the Ron Paul flag (or voting for no one at all). I just know that I've been seeing this perspective toward Warren as far back as when Obama first got elected. Someone I knew blogged about how it made her uncomfortable to see a "fundie" like Warren speak at the Inauguration, and I told her how funny considering the fundies do not accept him as one of them.

I've been trying to learn about the emergent church, so I don't know too much about it yet. A lot of people see it as a compromise of Christianity, aka not the right brand. Especially because they see it as trendy, like Mark Driscoll and his style.

It seems every time I see Warren's name mentioned in the context of a fundie blog/video/forum, it is not a good reaction. They see him as worldly and not genuine. The people I'm speaking of are not the right wing evangelical types, but the people who think both sides are awful, and are waving the Ron Paul flag (or voting for no one at all). I just know that I've been seeing this perspective toward Warren as far back as when Obama first got elected. Someone I knew blogged about how it made her uncomfortable to see a "fundie" like Warren speak at the Inauguration, and I told her how funny considering the fundies do not accept him as one of them.

I kind of view it as "PC" fundie + prosperity shenanigans. I despise all the TV church guys yet I've been unable to find exactly why I hate Joel Osteen (besides the money thing). Cant put my finger on it, but the smile squicks me out. Warren is also squicky... they all are!

Here are a couple of things to get you going:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerging_church

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/200 ... 11.35.html

I'm still not sure what it is, exactly, other than it seems to be an amalgam of things.

I can't stand Rick warren. My cousin defriended me on fb because she goes to saddleback valley and I said he didn't believe in the sanctity of life considering his trips to uganda.

Is he taking a more "in the public face" role for the evangelical political right that Francis Schaffer was taking back in the 80s with the Moral Majority? Sort of the go to guy for the theology of governance these guys try to sell........country should be moral, morality comes from the Bible, therefore the country should be run using biblical inspiration..........

When we cut to the chase he is a theonomist.

Here are a couple of things to get you going:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerging_church

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/200 ... 11.35.html

I'm still not sure what it is, exactly, other than it seems to be an amalgam of things.

Thank you for the links. I'm reading the second one now but this quote interested me. It is from someone who considers themselves a member of the Emerging Church

Emerging churches are communities that practice the way of Jesus within postmodern cultures. This definition encompasses nine practices. Emerging churches (1) identify with the life of Jesus, (2) transform the secular realm, and (3) live highly communal lives. Because of these three activities, they (4) welcome the stranger, (5) serve with generosity, (6) participate as producers, (7) create as created beings, (8) lead as a body, and (9) take part in spiritual activities

How is this different then what other Christians do? All Christian indentify with Jesus's life, try to welcome the stranger, serve with generosity, etc. It sounds a bit like the Christians who claim that they are bible believers as if only they hold they regard the bible as a holy text. Yet, all Christians think that they are basing their beliefs on the bible.

I'm still reading the article but it takes my computer a looo...oong time to load each page.

(2) transform the secular realm

They want to get involved in politics. For our own good, of course.

(3) live highly communal lives

It's inappropriate for a Christian to associate with non-Christians.

Okay, there seems some differences in the Emergent Church. I can understand why some people might find it attractive.

I've heard folks describe the emerging movement as "funky worship" or "candles and incense" or "smells and bells." It's true; many in the emerging movement are creative, experiential, and sensory in their worship gatherings

Some people need rituals and artwork so I'd be interested to know if these churches are more "Catholic' in their appearance.

The contention is that how a person lives is more important than what he or she believes

Certainly, different then what most Baptists teach. I think that it is a more attractive philosophy but I don't see how it can work in Christianity. Doesn't it go against what Paul taught?

We believe the Great Tradition offers various ways for telling the truth about God's redemption in Christ, but we don't believe any one theology gets it absolutely right.

Again, not bad but that seems to go against the tide of most of Christianity.

If they would loose their homophobia, they would probably grow very quickly. Lots of people want to retain their faith and yet, really don't care who has sex with who. They don't care if their pastor is female, as long as she is kind, compassionate and knows how to preach a good sermon. And they understand that morality is not always black and white.

How does Mark Driscol and Rick Warren fit into this type of church. They sound more conservative then the article made Emergent Churches appear.

edited for clarity

Quote:

I've heard folks describe the emerging movement as "funky worship" or "candles and incense" or "smells and bells." It's true; many in the emerging movement are creative, experiential, and sensory in their worship gatherings

This is the cheese sauce I was referring to. If frumpers and courtship aren't your thing, here's some hip brainwashing for you. Yay Patriarchy! with guitars! :roll:

Quote:

Don't High Episcopalians, Catholics, and Eastern Orthodox already have this covered?

[quote="debrand"

How does Mark Driscol and Rick Warren fit into this type of church. They sound more conservative then the article made Emergent Churches appear.

Archived