IGNORED

Trebilcock abuse trial WA

Witsec7

Yeah, my mom was a food hoarder. She didn't actually eat the food, she just needed to have it in the house.

Locking the fridge would just increase the child's need to hoard food. It would seem justified since at some point the fridge will be locked and you won't be able to get anything to eat! Locking the fridge also doesn't teach a child to choose not to eat at times when it is not appropriate, like when you are bored or sad. It's much harder, but you have to actually teach a child to choose appropriate times to eat.

I had a work friend whose daughter would up in foster care for a bit. She tells me that the foster parents had a lock on the fridge. I think that this type of abuse is more wide spread than we know.

Just putting on my social worker hat for a moment to say that a lock on a fridge itself does not necessarily signify abuse. If it's a foster home, then that's something their social worker would see in his or her home visits, as well as the various workers for the children coming in and out of the house. There could be many reasons for needing to lock up a fridge, such as having medication in there that needed to be kept away from little hands, children whose acting out behaviors include urinating or defecating in the fridge (I'm not even kidding), etc. Not having healthy food readily available for children with food insecurity issues is abusive, but the lock on a fridge in a foster home could likely be for other reasons.

Even if these kids were only fed three decent meals a day they still would not be under nourished. These fatsos probably withheld food so they could cram more it into their fat joweld gobs.

Yeah, fat-shaming is not cool, nor is it the point of this story. What they did to the child had absolutely nothing to do with whether they were fat or slim.

Yeah, fat-shaming is not cool, nor is it the point of this story. What they did to the child had absolutely nothing to do with whether they were fat or slim.

I am going to disagree here. The fact that the parents and their 4 biological children were all well-fed (the parents are, in fact, obese) is completely relevant when compared to their adopted 13 year old who weighed inat 50 lbs. The hospital couldn't even fee him properly because his emaciated body couldn't handle the food. They were starving him and stuffing their own faces. Fact!

I'm afraid that, in this case, the parents being overweight is very relevant.

I am going to disagree here. The fact that the parents and their 4 biological children were all well-fed (the parents are, in fact, obese) is completely relevant when compared to their adopted 13 year old who weighed inat 50 lbs. The hospital couldn't even fee him properly because his emaciated body couldn't handle the food. They were starving him and stuffing their own faces. Fact!

I agree but it could have been said better. Being very well fed while your children starve is very important and goes to show how unimportant the children are.

Yes, I agree totally. Normally would leap on any fat-shaming, but I think this was a power struggle. Weight formed a big part of it. "We own the resources, we can take as much of them as we want. We're going to lock and alarm the fridge so you can't eat. We deserve to get big, you deserve to shrivel away." It's not a normal thing of people just being fat, it was a delibarate decision. A taunting.

QFT. I was never starving but I was sometimes hungry. Even now I get antsy in a situation where there's no food. I have to buy a box of granola bars or something just to be able to sleep overnight in a hotel.

I grew up with massive food security issues and as an adult had to work a lot on my food hoarding and other issues. My husband was occasionally really frustrated by me because he didn't understand them as he never had food scarcity at all.

I grew up with massive food security issues and as an adult had to work a lot on my food hoarding and other issues. My husband was occasionally really frustrated by me because he didn't understand them as he never had food scarcity at all.

I have food hoarding issues due to the way my parents insisted on force feeding me as a child. I consider a 'full pantry' issue, because now as an adult I eat what I want to eat. In some ways it's served me well. During brief periods of unemployment a full pantry and freezer were a benefit. It did take me many years to understand it was a hoarding issue, and accept and acknowledge it's origins.

Well, I still don't get why that's the point. They withheld food from the child because they were mean, psychopathic assholes, not because they wanted the food for themselves necessarily.

I'll probably never understand why people here focus on such petty things as fundies' weight. I have whole laundry lists of why these people are dangerous and destructive, and what their body looks like isn't even on the list.

If you have a child who food hoarding, the best solution from what veteran foster parents tell me is to give them a rubbermaid bin that they can squirrel away wherever they want. Take them to the grocery store, let them pick out healthy and nonperishable snacks to keep in the bin, and refill as necessary. It helps to remove the basic insecurity behind the behavior. Let them see that in your home, food is not and never will be in short supply.

But then the parents aren't controlling every aspect of the children's lives and that is what they want.

Normally I wouldn't comment on a persons weight either big or small (I come from an obese family and struggle with food issues myself) but those people were obese and starved their kids, it's a fact, and I will make comments on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Guilty!

Jeff Trebilcock and his wife Rebecca Trebilcock were both found guilty of first and third degree criminal mistreatment. The first-degree convictions are felonies. Sentencing will take place on August 23 and could face as much as almost six years in prison.

The couple were found not guilty of several lesser misdemeanor charges.

"I think food was used as a carrot, and as a punishment," Cowlitz County Superior Court Judge Michael Evans said in court when the verdict was delivered.

The Trebilcocks wept and held hands in court as the verdict was read. They did talk to reporters after court.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Parents- ... 89246.html

I have to tell you people who adopt or do foster care and mistreat their non biological children chaps my ass! They give people like me a bad name.

I don't have locks on my fridge or pantry..I would never beat my FC children. My oldest gets an allowance. I feel guilty because I've working and he's stuck home.

My foster children are my children and are treated as such. I will fight for them till the end...

my only requirement is that they be safe, be respectful, be honest.

I don't think these people will get time. They will be put on probation, sentenced to counseling and the kids will be sent to other Adventists to foster. Hopefully the will be forbidden to adopt or foster. But private adoption agencies don't really seem to care about where kids are placed as long as it's good xtian homes.

I don't think these people will get time. They will be put on probation, sentenced to counseling and the kids will be sent to other Adventists to foster. Hopefully the will be forbidden to adopt or foster. But private adoption agencies don't really seem to care about where kids are placed as long as it's good xtian homes.

I hate that some people seem to think that Christians can't be abusers because they're Christians. Just because people use Christian privelage to get away with shit does not make exempt of fundamentalist/ignorant Christians to get away with horrible crimes such as this!

I hate that some people seem to think that Christians can't be abusers because they're Christians. Just because people use Christian privelage to get away with shit does not make exempt of fundamentalist/ignorant Christians to get away with horrible crimes such as this!

Indeed. Some of these QFers hoard children the way other people hoard newspaper or, alas, living animals. And they're empowered in it by like-minded blowhards.

These assholes can never be exposed enough for what they really are.

Indeed. Some of these QFers hoard children the way other people hoard newspaper or, alas, living animals. And they're empowered in it by like-minded blowhards.

These assholes can never be exposed enough for what they really are.

B-b-but that's called persecution (showing the world their true colors and getting people to protest them and to actually be punished by the law for their injustice and inhumanity!)! That's mean, Burris! Just mean! /sarcasm

B-b-but that's called persecution (showing the world their true colors and getting people to protest them and to actually be punished by the law for their injustice and inhumanity!)! That's mean, Burris! Just mean! /sarcasm

I know. They're so hard-done-by it makes me want to weep.

Most Western Christians have no clue what persecution is like. If they knew better, they'd never say a 20th of the shit that spews from their face anuses on such an embarrassingly regular basis.

Archived