IGNORED

Rick Perry's Day of Prayer

Turtle

I just posted this on my blog last night.... it really chaps my ass when religion and politics/government collide. When will they get it through their thick skulls that the United States is NOT a Christian nation? (The answer of course is never).

My ex hubby is Wiccan, I read all sorts of books to understand it better so I could understand him better; one of my dear friends is Jewish and I enjoy bantering about with him also. My mom is Lutheran, my favorite aunt is Catholic, my sister and I are borderline athiests. I love love love having all the diversity of cultures and opinions around me, and it makes me sad that there are people out there that want to take that away.

The foundation said it does not oppose politicians taking part in religious services, but that Perry crossed a line by initiating the event, using his position as governor to endorse and promote it and by using his official website to link to the organizer's website. The plaintiffs also contend that Perry's use of Texas' official state seal to endorse the event and his plans to issue an official proclamation violate the Constitution.

Doesn't this go against the Constitution? It isn't that the Perry wants to attend a prayer meeting, its that he is using his platform as governor to endose the event.

This is from the Governor's site

THEREFORE, I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim August 6, 2011, to be

A Day of Prayer and Fasting for Our Nation

in Texas, and urge the appropriate recognition whereof.

In official recognition whereof, I hereby affix my signature this the 23rd day of May, 2011.

RICK PERRY

Governor of Texas

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/16247/

if i lived in texas, i would go to a big buffet that day.

Pretty sure most people in Texas ignored that day.

Though my fundy side family loved it (but they love anything Rick Perry, I am just glad this is his last term).

Pretty sure most people in Texas ignored that day.

Though my fundy side family loved it (but they love anything Rick Perry, I am just glad this is his last term).

A friend of mine posted on FB there is an event to attend the "day of debauchey and gluttony" the same day. I agreed to attend that,even though thats my everyday. :)

Archived