IGNORED

Picking and choosing - Headcovering

alysee

I was reading the 7 sisters blog and they stated why they wear headcoverings. Fine, if it's in the bible they do it. But why don't the duggar girls if they are Christians? Are they picking and choosing what they want to believe in?

alysee

Everyone picks and chooses what they do that's in the Bible. It'd be impossible to live out all the edicts in the Bible, even if you could get everyone to agree on exactly what those edicts are in the first place.

I wouldn't classify this one as picking and choosing. Paul does talk about headcoverings- 1 Corinthians 11:5- "every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. " But IMO he immediately explains that long hair is a woman's headcovering- I Corinthians 11:15- "if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." However, I guess some people don't read it that way or they only look at one verse and ignore the context. So I don't think they are picking and choosing, I just think they disagree on what the outcome should be.

I agree it may not be picking and choosing in a literal sense. It is, however, more evidence that the bible is not, in fact, infallible and is open to interpretation. Meaning, it is not a rule book direct from god.

Of course they pick and choose. It's whatever gets people the most riled up. Leviticus (18:22, 20:13) says homosexuality is an abomination, so we must BAN IT! But it also says not to eat shellfish (11:10).... but that's just silly... it also says you can own slaves as long as they are from a different nation(25:44).. but we abolished that one... Seriously. They then quote the new testament, saying that's the way it works... so let's look there! Romans says that men gave into their unnaturalness and did things with other men (Romans 1:26-27)... and really... just to quote the scripture...

29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

BASICALLY EVERYONE! Tell me every Christian in the world has not violated at least ONE of these covenants... Seriously. Just to point out, those who pick and choose like ZuZu and have NO mercy for those who think differently... look at the last one these of people who were given over to a reprobate mind and not saved... UNMERCIFUL So there.

Like nolongerIFBx said, the passage on headcoverings is sort of confusing, especially when translated into English. Some people see it as talking about a cloth covering with long hair given as a natural argument for that covering (moreso in the Greek than in English), some see the long hair itself as the only covering needed, and others see it as something specific to the culture and time.

Really though, almost any Christian and any sect could be accused of picking and choosing. There are many things in the Bible where the interpretation varies on what is cultural or descriptive and what is commanded of believers. There is also the whole debate over if & what parts of the OT laws are still binding on Christians. Most of us follow the stuff that we see as clear in scripture (which can vary from person to person) and the traditions of our denomination or culture.

Like nolongerIFBx said, the passage on headcoverings is sort of confusing, especially when translated into English. Some people see it as talking about a cloth covering with long hair given as a natural argument for that covering (moreso in the Greek than in English), some see the long hair itself as the only covering needed, and others see it as something specific to the culture and time.

Really though, almost any Christian and any sect could be accused of picking and choosing. There are many things in the Bible where the interpretation varies on what is cultural or descriptive and what is commanded of believers. There is also the whole debate over if & what parts of the OT laws are still binding on Christians. Most of us follow the stuff that we see as clear in scripture (which can vary from person to person) and the traditions of our denomination or culture.

Exactly. I don't know if I would call myself a Christian now but when I was I picked things according to what I thought was suitable. I disregarded headcoverings because I saw them as anti-feminist. Everyone develops their own methods of reading and choosing pieces of the Bible. Some people, both religious and not religious look down on this and say that one cannot profess to believe in something and only follow it to a certain degree, but I think this is an illogical way to consider it. First, there are verses that directly oppose each other so following those would be impossible. Second, what about the instances in which disregarding pieces has lead to moral advancement. How can one call that ungodly? Slaves and abolitionists disregarded pro-slavery texts and focuses on the Exodus. The Civil Rights movement owes a lot to the Bible and Christianity. It is not all bad.

Also, it depends on what sect you are a part of. Independent Protestants have less of a tradition to go on so rules and practices in independent churches may vary compared to those with a set hierarchy. In Reniassance times married women wore hoods, but only married women. In the Catholic church headcoverings at church remained until Vatican II but even some old school women still do it.

All religions pick and choose what they believe in. It's the same with Muslims when it comes to their head coverings. Some woman wear them. Some choose not to.

Archived