IGNORED

Lori Alexander, 11: No Junk in Her Trunk Because She's Godly

Sadly, Lori's mother is dying.  I don't care who you are or what your relationship with them looks like, for most people, losing a parent is very hard.  I am actually losing a parent right now, and my god it's hard.  

That said, Lori post has the strangest "tone" I've ever heard.  Maybe it's just the way I am reading it, or the fact that I am going through it myself, but it strikes me as so flippant.

We will all miss her terribly but my two sisters and I know that she has no fear of going home to be with the Lord. After all, the Bible says we will only live seventy, maybe eighty years. 

most old people told me that once they hit eighty years old, their health very much deteriorates and this is the way it is supposed to be. If there weren't all these drugs, few people would live past eighty and even with all the great medical care we have, the average age of death is still seventy eight years old! Therefore, medicine hasn't helped a ton since we still aren't living much past what the Bible states. 

It's amusing to see what people do to try and extend their lives and that they believe humans should be living to 150 years old. With all of our modern technology, it still isn't happening and it won't because God knows and He is the one who created us.

We will all die one day. 

I just....wow.  It's just so callous....

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to defend Lori, but I can kind of see where she's coming from here. My sister passed away a couple of years ago, and for me it was comforting, if that's the right word, to know there was nothing anyone could have done. It helped me cope, anyway.

Lori's post reads the same way to me (though I would NEVER have put such thoughts online like that - so callous), in that it sounds like she's trying to make sense of the situation and finds comfort in telling herself that it's the way things are and there's nothing to be done about it.

So sorry about your parent,@Koala :(

This post just reinforces my belief that Lori is truly incapable of true emotions. I can only imagine the admonishments she will give her sisters for grieving the way most of us consider "normal."  Her whole tone makes me very uncomfortable. 

I too am very sorry @Koala, for what you are going through. Sending good thoughts your way. 

What struck me was her callous tone and the implication that since her mother was already 85 they weren't going to do anything to combat the disease.  It's possible nothing can be done, but being 85 doesn't mean you have to just give up and wait to die especially if there are treatments.

Lori mentions that once she passed 80 her mother was very tired and dizzy. Wouldn't that have alerted her family that something was wrong?  

I've always gotten the impression that, notwithstanding her father is a doctor, Lori and her family don't think much of  doctors, drugs or medical care.  I recall a long-ago post about her mother being raised in a church that lumped doctors and medical drugs with demons.  In fact the entire town was built around and based on this church.

Koala, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. It's incredibly hard losing a parent. It's like an amputation of yourself, your heart, and it's an experience that will follow you through life. You will change and adapt, but it's a difficult metamorphosis. My thoughts are with you and my prayers, if you want them. 

1 hour ago, Koala said:

It's amusing to see what people do to try and extend their lives

Is it, Lori? IS IT? It's not amusing. I have often thought people prolong their suffering and death out of desperation, out of fear, out of other horrible emotions -- but I have never ONCE found it "amusing." 

ETA: What's amusing is that a woman eats everything organic thinking that it will prolong her life and prevent all illnesses. What's amusing is that a woman smears her body with black salve thinking it will cure skin cancer. What's amusing is that a woman considers spilled milk to be a sin. What's amusing is that a woman calls sickness in others a sign of sin but cancer in herself just misfortune.

And it's interesting that you just automatically assume that 70/80 is the cut-off. My great-grandmother was diagnosed with stomach cancer in her mid-70s. Her doctor recommended surgery and gave her a poor prognosis due to her age. Well, they operated, and then the stubborn old woman went on and lived another 20+ years. With your nasty attitude, she'd have just given up and died. Which, I suppose had she been like you, would have probably been for the best. But she wasn't like you. She was a vibrant, spicy, snarky old lady who never let anyone get the best of her. I am so glad that I got to know her because she refused to roll over and give up but instead chose to live.

I've gotten used to Lori for the most part by now, but once in awhile something she writes, like today's post, makes my jaw drop, and then I sit here and sputter incoherently for a few minutes. :pb_confused:

I am sorry her mother is going through this. I hope her remaining days are made as comfortable as they can be, and that she is able to see and enjoy her family, especially her grandchildren, as much as possible. 

I wonder if this is the reason Lori's skipped a post now and then, that she's busy helping with her mother's care. I hope that's the reason; I'd like to believe that for once Lori's put aside her usual selfishness and is spending a lot of time with her mother.

Koala, my heart goes out to you. 

On Lori's specific points:

Where does the bible say that we are meant to live 70-80 years?  Is this the same Bible that has a guy called Methuselah?  Moses lived to 120.  It's a standard birthday greeting in Judaism to say, "May you live to 120, and may your enemies live to 119 so their lives are cut short in the middle."

most old people told me that once they hit eighty years old, their health very much deteriorates and this is the way it is supposed to be. If there weren't all these drugs, few people would live past eighty and even with all the great medical care we have, the average age of death is still seventy eight years old! Therefore, medicine hasn't helped a ton since we still aren't living much past what the Bible states. 

Lori, "if there weren't all these drugs" then more people would be dying young from things like infections, malnutrition, and childbirth.  Between the Paleolithic Era and 1900, average life expectancy at birth was between 25-40 years old.  Even as late as 1950, it was 48.

okay, glad it wasn't just me who though as usual, she has no heart.  It made me think of a colleague who just lost her mother ( 83) to pancreatic cancer. They too are reilgious ( in fact she was a minister) and the way they handled it with grace, courage and dignity brought me to tears.  Yes, they too went without treatment but made damn sure every second was spent helping all of them transition to their new normal. Maybe this is Loris way of coping but just for once I would like to see a glimmer of real emotion in this woman besides hate and bitterness.

@Koala, I am so sorry to hear this. I send you and your family my love and sympathy. The loss of a parent is something no one can truly comprehend, unless it's happened to them. I hope you are able to find some peace amid the pain.

@Koala sorry to hear about your Mum, sending positive thoughts your way.

why oh why does everything have to be a Godly competition with Lori? 

Why is people seeking out treatment to help them live Longer "amusing" to her. Was it amusing to Lori when she herself sought out treatment for a tumour? Did her children find it "amusing" that mum was seeking treatment to keep her alive? 

It sounds very much to me that treatment won't help Lori's mum and if Lori's relative can't have it then no one can. I feel utterly sick for even thinking that of her right now, and I'm sorry that she is losing her mum, but damn she makes it so hard to empathise with her.

Didn't she write once about how juicing can cure cancer? Well here is her chance to prove that right.

Was it amusing to Lori when she herself sought out treatment for a tumour? Did her children find it "amusing" that mum was seeking treatment to keep her alive? 

Well that is different of course because Lori wasn't 70-80 at the time and the bible says you aren't suppose to die till then, so in that case you are allowed to do whatever it takes to stay alive. But once you hit that biblical death age--might as well just give up. I wonder then what she thinks of assisted suicide once you are past 70. Suppose to die then anyway....

Lori is lucky she has had both of her parents for as long as she has. I am about 10 years younger and most of my friends my age have lost one or both parents and most of the parents that are still around are in poor health.

I think Lori is trying to rationalize death, and I understand this. When my parents were dying I went round and round from sadness to anger to denial to rationalization and everywhere in between. Everyone grieves in his or her own way.

Lori writes:

She has been a great role model to me in many ways. We have been best friends for many, many years and I will have a emptiness in my heart when she dies.

My mom was my best friend too and I miss her every day.

Hugs to you @Koala at this difficult time.

It's amazing, albeit unsurprising, that Lori can put rules even on death.

Lived to be 100? You filthy sinner. You sold your soul to the devil named Medicine to live so long. You should have died at 70 and been blessed because God said you should die then.

You feel good after 80? Liar. Sinner.

Also does Lori not understand statistics and averages? A life expectancy is an average. So there are people dying before 80 (or whenever the life expectancy is) and just as many people dying AFTER 80. :pb_rollseyes:

Oh Lori, may your finely honed skills of taking the Bible out of context, misrepresenting statistics, joy in nostalgia, and pride in your superior approach to life's challenges bring you great comfort as this catastrophe invades your life. May you repent of them and drop them like a hot rock when you come out on the other side of your grief. In the meantime, maybe keep it off the internet?

@Koala I'm sorry you are going through this. Having recently lost my mum I think I can say I know what you are going through. It's awful.  

I don't really know why, but I always remember Patrick Swayze speaking after his parents were murdered.  I think he was Buddhist perhaps, but I just remember thinking he sounded so distant and callous, just like Lori. Because I don't believe in god it's hard for me to grasp how people can feel almost happy because their loved ones have been released from the binds of earth and have gone to whatever great and better place they believe in.  I remember feeling sorrow for his parents regarding his apparent lack of grief.  

Anyway, it's good to know that all the advances in medecine have not brought the veracity of the bible into dispute. 

Aldo, wasn't Noah like 600 or something? 

I think you are thinking of Patrick Duffy. He was Bobby on Dallas. 

Koala, I've been there. I'm sorry you're having to go through it.

i was out of emotion by the time my mother died. We didn't have the greatest relationship, and I'd spent 7 years caring for her. When she had the final stroke and was comatose, I sorta just wished she'd die and get it over with...I know that sounds shitty but it is what it is. Then again, I'd spent 7 years caring for a woman who would pinch, hit, scratch me, yell at me, attempt to turn my home upside down and generally not do a damn thing to help herself after the first stroke. 

Lori...if death is just part of life...why did you have all that treatment for the brain tumor and shit? 

5 hours ago, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Of all the callous-seeming aspects of the post, I really can't get over the header image. That cutesy font she uses...

IMG_4296.JPG

Yes! I thought exactly the same thing! That font is to cute for almost everything she's writing about, but in this case it really doesn't fit. 

All that picture says to me is that, "My mom is sick, but it's all about Me, Me, Me!"

I don't think Lori is truely religious, she's a monster using God as a tool to control.

This statement sums up how I feel about Lori. She is a cruel, cold-hearted bitch. The way she describes her mother being sick send chills down my spine. I don't think she is cabable of love, and incapable of sympathy or empathy.

Wait...didn't Lori do a post where she said her parents fought all the time and she had no good role models?  It was so egregious that Aunt Genni appeared to dispute what she was saying, IIRC. Now, suddenly, her mom was a good role model. Thou shalt not lie, Lori!

Sorry about her mom, though. My husband and I have one remaining parent between us and it's my mom. None of the other parents' deaths were quick or painless. I now have some idea just what it will be like when my mom dies, and sometimes I get teary just thinking about it. 

Somehow I don't see Lori having the ability to do the same. As others have said, it's all about her. 

Is that one of Lori's daughters on Lori's left (our right as we view the picture)? Cos that is the definition of a forced, fake smile.

It's comforting to believe, as Lori does, that we will be reunited with our loved ones in heaven. But, the logistics of this are mind-boggling. I mean, our children will join us and we will meet our parents but they will be with their parents and siblings and our grandparents will join their families and so on through the generations. Suddenly it starts to get very crowded I would think.  And if you are part of a quiver, what then?  That's a shitload of people right there. What about in-laws?  Does one's spouse reunite with his or her family or their spouse's?  

It's interesting to think about how all of that would work. :my_angel:

(Sounds a bit like a nightmare.)

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived