IGNORED

Someone is Giving Lisa Pennington a Platform to Advise on Mother-Daughter Relationships - Seriously?

GenerationCedarchip

Thomas Nelson is a major Christian publisher, and they tend to be fairly mainstream evangelical. Given all that has been happening with Lisa Pennington and her daughters, I have to say that I'm astounded they ran this:

tommynelson.com/8-mother-daughter-tips-from-an-experienced-mom/

Have they done no background research on her before giving her a book deal and featuring her as an author?  Depriving your children of birth certificates and basically keeping them prisoner as adults just don't strike me as healthy ways to build relationship.

Maybe she has taken responsibility for destroying her relationship  and she is advising what not to do based on her own expierience.

I can't even keep a straight face typing that.

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

Maybe she has taken responsibility for destroying her relationship  and she is advising what not to do based on her own expierience.

I can't even keep a straight face typing that.

She did post an article the other day on her FB about parenting independent girls, and it was about accepting their differences and their free spirit. Now, of course, I am suspicious. Lisa doesn't do anything unless it's for attention or to make herself look good. So I believe that she has simply found another way to market her "mistake" and rub away the butthurt. Yes, she *simply* has a free-spirited daughter. Who dates, wears bikinis, has a job outside of the family fold, has short (blue) hair, and a tattoo. She had to find some way to lower her blood pressure.

Who on this planet could knowingly give Lisa Pennington a platform about mother-daughter relationships?  I see a lot of cognitively-challenged folks in my daily life, but this...?  Who on this earth could imagine that she has any wisdom in any way, shape, or form to share with others?  

On the Internet, truly, anything is possible.  :roll: FFS

I would call their customer service line and tell them exactly who Lisa Pennington is...and reference the court case where their daughter took them to court over her identification. I know Thomas Nelson Publishers will listen to factual statements on their authors. 

When they ask for my thoughts I will tell them, then follow it with, “That’s just my thought; I will support whatever you decide.”  I have slipped and gotten out of place more than I’d like to admit.  But this is my goal.  I’ll never be perfect at it, but I can improve every day.

Re: bolded. :pantsonfire:

Faith looks awesome with her short hair! And, she seems to have patched things up with her mother, as I saw on her Facebook page a box of goodies Lisa sent her. 

Even so, I would hardly hold Lisa up as a model of parenting perfection, or as an example of any kind, except maybe what NOT to do...

If Lisa (and James) have totally repaired the relationship with Lisa's parents, I would say that real change has taken place.  

If y'all recall it was Lisa's dad that took Faith away to a real life on the outside; as a result, Grandma and Grandpa were shunned by James -- and Lisa is under his headship. 

Also, on #6 Give Gifts:  

or arrange for an outing with a friend so they can have a break. 

Um, little slip up there Lisa.  Whose mom "arranges an outing with a friend" when the girls are totally or mostly grown?  

ETA: Lisa is a Tommy Mommies blogger: 

http://www.tommynelson.com/tommy-mommy-bios/

Be an ambassador for Tommy Nelson by joining the Tommy Nelson Mommy team!  Here is your opportunity to develop your own family's faith while encouraging your blog readers and their families to do the same!

By becoming a member of our free Tommy Nelson Mommy program, you'll be the first to receive brand new resources from bestselling authors! Each month, you’ll host reviews and giveaways on your blog to share these resources with your readers. You’ll also have a direct line to the Tommy Nelson team where you can voice your opinions and needs as we develop exciting new products that bring the Bible to life in the hearts of your children.

Lisa is very ambitious and serious about breaking into the Christian book market and is doing whatever she needs to do to get her name out there.  

As I mentioned before, she is now very circumspect about personal details; everything from here on out will be Wise, Experienced Mom! and Upbeat! 

Does anyone know if she scrubbed her blogs and posts related to the Faith Escape?

She forgot one:

9. Deny them basic things like identification and Social Security numbers so that you can hold them hostage in your house forever. 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Um, little slip up there Lisa.  Whose mom "arranges an outing with a friend" when the girls are totally or mostly grown?  

You mean you don't arrange play dates for your 20 something year old daughters?  

20 hours ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

Thomas Nelson is a major Christian publisher, and they tend to be fairly mainstream evangelical. Given all that has been happening with Lisa Pennington and her daughters, I have to say that I'm astounded they ran this:

tommynelson.com/8-mother-daughter-tips-from-an-experienced-mom/

Have they done no background research on her before giving her a book deal and featuring her as an author?  Depriving your children of birth certificates and basically keeping them prisoner as adults just don't strike me as healthy ways to build relationship.

The book she wrote last year, Mama Needs A Do-Over, was published by David C. Cook.  She managed to get two book deals by two different publishers?  How many legitimate writers would kill for just one book offer?  Not that I've ever seen the Mama book at an actual bookstore.  True, I've only looked at BAM and Barnes & Noble, but still.

Anyone notice that Lisa has totally deleted her section on modesty on the PP blog? There's one entry about what shoes she likes (how does that relate to modesty?), and that's it. Also, take a hike to Grace's FB and she's got a boyfriend and a pair of jeans.

19 minutes ago, JMarie said:

The book she wrote last year, Mama Needs A Do-Over, was published by David C. Cook.  She managed to get two book deals by two different publishers?  How many legitimate writers would kill for just one book offer?  Not that I've ever seen the Mama book at an actual bookstore.  True, I've only looked at BAM and Barnes & Noble, but still.

I have, um, uh, seen it at BN. And I didn't hide the copies. :embarrassed: I believe they also carry it at Lifeway (the Christian bookstore).

• 1 month later...

I wandered over to Lisa's blog.  Her April 18th post is about attending two weddings in one weekend.  

My 5 youngest kids and I headed early Saturday morning to Austin (2.5 hours away) for the wedding of one of my son Jacob’s best friends.  This is a precious family and I was looking forward to what I knew would be a Christ-centered ceremony. It was absolutely lovely and I was glad we went......We left the reception and headed to have dinner with my daughter who lives in the same town.  We had a nice time with her....We left the restaurant, dropped my daughter off at her apartment

So, two things.  Lisa is now having dinner with her daughter when she (Lisa) comes to Austin and Faith is living in an apartment (not with her grandparents).  It all sounds so normal. 

Did Faith's defection shake this family up and create enough daylight for some changes? I hope so.  

Faith just passed her driver's test and bought a car, and her fb status is single, so there must have been a breakup somewhere.  

She's got a whole page full of random posts on his site.  Birds of a feather and all that...

As much as I'd like to believe that Lisa has found some clarity in the last year or so...I'm hard pressed to buy it.

Archived