IGNORED

The Botkin Conference 2012

Pclee

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you've just named the next Bradrick blessing!

:lol: Iconic Oracle Bradrick could marry Semper Reformanda Botkin. That is, if Daddy will ever let his wimmin go.

Hairbrush, please...and quickly.

Ugh...totally scraggly. The first pic is a perfect illustration of someone who needs to take about 6 inches off the bottom. She's headed toward Michelle Duggar territory.

Both of those girls are well-endowed. How many layers does it take to cover up those pups?

eta: reading the first few paragraphs of the poor girl's blog, it seems like she may have run into some Duggars. Well, the DID have Mikey's birthday party four days early, freeing up the weekend to go to Iowa. It's possible Smugs didn't go, but the rest of the clan did? Hmmm......

eta: Not the Duggars. They were home for Father's Day, so I doubt they were in Iowa the day before. The Maxwells were busy having baybeez. Maybe the Harrises? I know they're not doing conferences themselves anymore, but I think they graduated from college and would likely be rock stars to girls like this blogger.

I doubt that Victoria is much older than Geoff. She's just had a much harder life, filled with constant childbearing, homsechooling, and waiting on Geoff. On the other hand Geoff has had a wife and kids to tend to his every whim so he hasn't aged as much. I do think this is the reason that both daughters are still unmarried though. All Geoff has left is an over-worked wife. Why would he ever marry off the two pretty young women who literally worship him? The way that Victoria is always relegated to the background is creepy at best. A lot of fundie patriarchs have this pseudo-incestuous relationship with their daughters, but if I had to pick one to be most likely to actually sexually abusive, it would be Geoff. I'm not accusing him because it's really impossible to tell, but if it turned out to be true I wouldn't be surprised for a second.

ETA: From what I understand, one of the daughters dies her hair to look more like her mother did at a younger age.

I considered Victoria's more difficult life, but I guess I didn't consider it enough. She looks really haggard compared to Geoff.

Pictures of Elizabeth from about five years ago show her with much lighter hair.

ETA: From what I understand, one of the daughters dies her hair to look more like her mother did at a younger age.

I too seem to remember that both girls are light-haired like Vicki but that Elizabeth adds the brown to her crown.

Still curious as to how and where this was advertised. As well as whether there's been any official announcements of the babies' births, online. Anybody?

Have they all taken their blogs private and walled off from us? *sticks lower lip out in insulted pout*

Victoria looks really old. Is she substantially older than Geoff?

The blogger is yet another victim of the SOTDRT - random commas and doesn't know the difference between they're, there, and their.

begins sweeping off the debrie across the stage.

Elizabeth continues to be my fundie crush. There's just something about her that makes me think she hasn't truly swallowed the kool-aid down to the last drop. Wasn't she the feisty child?

Have they all taken their blogs private and walled off from us? *sticks lower lip out in insulted pout*

Funny you should ask, MJB! They've obliged with a new blog post. The first line:

Twenty years ago, our mother walked down the Walmart Pink Isle, past all the Disney-heroine Barbies, Disney-movie-inspired vanity playsets, sequined polyester fish-tail skirts with seashells, and itchy yellow off-shoulder Belle dresses, and decided, “Not for my daughters.â€

Isle. The SOTDRT strikes yet again. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

http://visionarydaughters.com/2012/07/c ... ess-please

Analyzing Merida matters because she was designed specifically to be a model for others to follow, by people who know girls will. So what did they put into the package, and how brave is it really? Let’s examine Merida’s example.

• Whining for time off from responsibility, rules, expectations, and having to be a role model: not all that brave.

• Resisting self-discipline, education, and training for the future in favor of outdoorsy hobbies: not all that brave.

• Defying parents (while freeloading off of them): not all that brave.

• Refusing to follow basic rules of manners: not all that brave.

• “Making things happen†in your life (instead of sitting around) by causing mayhem in others’: not all that brave.

• Fighting for your own way over anything else: not all that brave.

• Confessing and actually repenting for her catastrophic mistake at the end: very brave.

• Realizing that her mother was a person too, who could be terribly hurt by her daughter’s selfishness: extremely brave, for a kids’ movie about parent-child conflict.

• Refusing to marry any of her suitors: Sorry, we’re saving our thoughts on this one for the next post.

Yes, there were some points to her example that we were happy to see, but honestly, doing no more than owning up to and fixing the mistakes she herself made hardly makes her a hero. We’ve seen little toasters braver than this.

WOW... Just wow.... sooo much over analysing and hatred for a charming little kids film!!! JUST WOW!!

The Bible tells tales of women who were intelligent, brave, beautiful, and who acted like women instead of little barbarians. Of women who didn’t fit inside personality-type clichés like “the lovable klutz,†“the beautiful bimbo,†“the steely battle-ax,†“the mealy-mouthed Mary Sue,†“the defiant teen,†“the snarky geek,†or “the tomboyish wildcat.†The godly deeds of these heroines never included teen rebellion, ruling over men, or “following their hearts,†though they did include a lot of things that would have shocked Queen Victoria.

The Botkinettes need to re-read their bible. Deborah ruled over men, Ruth 'followed her heart,' Abigail rebelled against her husband, and so on.

http://visionarydaughters.com/2012/07/can-we-have-a-braver-princess-please

• Whining for time off from responsibility, rules, expectations, and having to be a role model: not all that brave.

• Resisting self-discipline, education, and training for the future in favor of outdoorsy hobbies: not all that brave.

Merida may not like what her mother is teaching her, but she learns it. She only gets an occasional day to ride out into the forest and shoot things; the rest of the time she's learning all those lessons EVEN THOUGH she doesn't like them. Seems to me that's pretty brave.

Of course, at Chez Botkin, I suppose any sign of displeasure is firmly stamped out. :roll:

• Defying parents (while freeloading off of them): not all that brave.

Freeloading?? Um, she's thirteen; what exactly is she supposed to be doing? Working outside the home? Isn't this exactly what SAHDs do? Am I missing something here?

I can't wait for their lecture on her suitors.

Exactly what I was thinking, if anything all the stay at home daughters and sons are freeloading then by their snide remarks and opinions!

But of course they are 'working' for the lord and their parents, so it isn't freeloading then. Thus why you have to just shut up, sit down, smile and nod and toe the party-line!

*sigh* These poor freaking women.

(wish I could insert the actual photo but I am technically challenged)

"How to be a good sister to tomorrow's leaders"

Gag.

Actually, :angry-steamingears: :angry-steamingears: :angry-steamingears:

(wish I could insert the actual photo but I am technically challenged)

"How to be a good sister to tomorrow's leaders"

Gag.

Actually, :angry-steamingears: :angry-steamingears: :angry-steamingears:

Actually, that irritated me too, so here you go.

7494316696_7aa8d1cde6_o.jpg

ETA: That is so fucking OBNOXIOUS. We women are people in our own right, and not contingent beings. Geoff Botkin can kiss my fat, pasty white, law school educated, computer science employed, home owning ASS!

Okay, I'm not sure why I thought Merida was 13, but she's certainly a teenager. And, you know, an unmarried daughter. So I'm still at a loss to know how she's freeloading, and I was going to post a comment on the blog entry, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Sheesh, even the Maxwells allow comments! Kind of.

Defying parents (while freeloading off of them): not all that brave.

Now *that* is truly rich, coming from the Botkinettes!

Still curious as to how and where this was advertised.

This is the "conference" we discussed in the "Botkins Scraping the Bottom of the Fundie Lecture Circuit" thread, a couple of weeks back:

www.freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t= ... =botkin%2A

"Twas more of a one-night stand than a real conference - they were in Iowa visiting family, according to their cousin's blog. I suspect they just latched on to the local Kool-Aid distribution opportunities.

The Botkinettes are so critical of any supposed female role model in the secular world yet I don't understand what they think the perfect female role model should be. They're way past the age when they should be going to cartoon Disney movies and then spending endless hours picking them apart. They should have families and lives of their own instead of fawning over their father and brothers. It all just seems like so much floundering around, trying to justify the fact that they have nothing, have done nothing, and have no apparent plans to do anything resembling life as the rest of us know it. Can't wait until the next blog entry when they enlighten us with their thoughts on this point:

• Refusing to marry any of her suitors: Sorry, we’re saving our thoughts on this one for the next post.

The Botkinettes are so critical of any supposed female role model in the secular world yet I don't understand what they think the perfect female role model should be. They're way past the age when they should be going to cartoon Disney movies and then spending endless hours picking them apart. They should have families and lives of their own instead of fawning over their father and brothers. It all just seems like so much floundering around, trying to justify the fact that they have nothing, have done nothing, and have no apparent plans to do anything resembling life as the rest of us know it. Can't wait until the next blog entry when they enlighten us with their thoughts on this point:

Could not agree more.

I think these two still consider themselves to be role models for girls, hence the trenchant analysis of Disney movies, but the older they get, the sadder this becomes. I doubt the typical SAHD wants to be at home "serving her father," with no prospects of marriage, at 27, or however old Anna Sofia is now.

Could not agree more.

I think these two still consider themselves to be role models for girls, hence the trenchant analysis of Disney movies, but the older they get, the sadder this becomes. I doubt the typical SAHD wants to be at home "serving her father," with no prospects of marriage, at 27, or however old Anna Sofia is now.

Yep. They are looking a bit long in the tooth for this role, now.

27? Heh, at 27 I had already held several jobs, been married, earned a bachelor's and a master's degree, had a baby, gotten divorced, and learned to be 100% self-supporting. Oh, and my dad was proud of me for all of it--including the divorce.

I was married at 17 so by age 27 I had a husband and three children, had worked both part- and full-time jobs, had just started a full-time job that involved way more than 40 hours per week, thereby becoming the main breadwinner for our family, and had lived in 4 different states. I am so tired of these stay-at-home, do-nothing daughters trying to tell the world how smart and experienced they are!

I'm only 25 and I've done more than them! It makes me thankful I ran. This could have been me. Actually scratch that, I probably would be married with like 5 kids... So grateful for the life I live. They are just sad, sad individuals. The older they get the more they are going to keep sweet and shout louder about how happy they are to be serving their daddy.

Archived