IGNORED

The Botkin Conference 2012

Pclee

Just this month. Some photos of the botkins.

desiringgodsdesires.blogspot.sg/2012/06/botkin-conference-2012.html

[attachment=2]043.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]076.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]092.JPG[/attachment]

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a while since I've seen new Botkins pictures. I don't visit their site anymore.

Pa needs to find some husbands or else those girls are going the way of Sarah Maxwell. They might be fundie royalty, but they're losing an egg a month and counting...

Thank you, pclee.

How did you find out about this conference, just curious?

There's nothing on the Western Conservatree (mocking pronunciation, heh) website since mid-2011.

The Botkins - what the Maxwells could've been if Steve weren't even battier than Geoff. ;)

That poor girl got 'convicted' twice at that conference. Poor thing :(

One of the picture captions in that blog entry says that Ben and David weren't present because their wives had recently given birth to daughters. I guess that can be added to the fundy birth thread.

Two totally superficial observations:

--I desperately want to brush Anna Sofia's hair. That "artfully tousled" look does not work outside a magazine fashion spread.

--Elizabeth is always camera-ready. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her where her face didn't look juuust right.

*gag* Nela, or whatever, acts like the Botkins are superstars. They're PEOPLE. Crazy people, but still people. She had no reason to act like such a hyperventilating fangirl.

Also, wasn't the blogger wearing teh ebil pants?

That last picture really needs a thought bubble over the brunette's head. Not sure what it would say, though.

--I desperately want to brush Anna Sofia's hair. That "artfully tousled" look does not work outside a magazine fashion spread.

--Elizabeth is always camera-ready. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her where her face didn't look juuust right.

I was thinking that both of them have hairstyles that are a little too casual, or even sexy for the image that they are trying to portray. I think the reason the tousled look shows up a lot is because you're meant to look like you just tumbled out of bed with someone :? I think they're both pretty, but they kind of look like they should be in an 80s TV show with the combination of big hair and outdated clothes. Like fundie Saved by the Bell.

Yeah, I think they both look a little on the defrauding side. Those jacket/shrug things are very fitted.

Yes! And I don't know if it was just the harsh fluorescent lights, but AS looked as if she had been ill. The sites have been so quiet; I do wonder what is going on at the Botkin compound.

Thank you, pclee.

How did you find out about this conference, just curious?

There's nothing on the Western Conservatree (mocking pronunciation, heh) website since mid-2011.

The Botkins - what the Maxwells could've been if Steve weren't even battier than Geoff. ;)

She is a fundie, so maybe that is how she found it? And the blond one really needs to do something with her hair, like comb it.

Yeah, I think they both look a little on the defrauding side. Those jacket/shrug things are very fitted.

And they're buttoning them below the boobs which, according to the modesty survey, is immodest!

Victoria looks really old. Is she substantially older than Geoff?

The blogger is yet another victim of the SOTDRT - random commas and doesn't know the difference between they're, there, and their.

It must be the lights--Anna Sofia's hair is a weird shade of yellow.

(For the record, one of my idols is bright auburn hair dye. It looks so much better than the mouse brown/gray that would be my natural color.)

Victoria looks really old. Is she substantially older than Geoff?

The blogger is yet another victim of the SOTDRT - random commas and doesn't know the difference between they're, there, and their.

I doubt that Victoria is much older than Geoff. She's just had a much harder life, filled with constant childbearing, homsechooling, and waiting on Geoff. On the other hand Geoff has had a wife and kids to tend to his every whim so he hasn't aged as much. I do think this is the reason that both daughters are still unmarried though. All Geoff has left is an over-worked wife. Why would he ever marry off the two pretty young women who literally worship him? The way that Victoria is always relegated to the background is creepy at best. A lot of fundie patriarchs have this pseudo-incestuous relationship with their daughters, but if I had to pick one to be most likely to actually sexually abusive, it would be Geoff. I'm not accusing him because it's really impossible to tell, but if it turned out to be true I wouldn't be surprised for a second.

ETA: From what I understand, one of the daughters dies her hair to look more like her mother did at a younger age.

All the Botkinettes at the conference need a good hair therapist. Perhaps they mouse and tease their hair 'cuz Daddy's so bald???? And the idea of dying my hair to look like my mother in her youth......just icky.

"The people were encouraged to ask questions for the Botkins to answer.

During that time, his oldest son, Isaac, was handing him the questions that were asked."

All the (real) conferences with (real) keynote speakers I've ever been to have just let whoever raised their hand have the microphone. But obviously, that could result in a question you're not actually prepared to answer...

Control freak much?

The Botkins are so pretty, it's a shame that they are not allowed to do more than be helpers to their brothers and father. I don't know if they are unmarried due to dad or their own choice. They are two two ambitious and talented girls so it could be they know all this will end once they get married. Did anyone noticed the blogger noted about 100 participants at the conference? Isn't that a bit small for the Botkins? Maybe they commonly do smaller, day-long conferences but only advertise the larger ones they are involved in.

I wonder at what point the family will see two unmarried daughters as liabilities to their family business? Just like the Maxwells, they are selling a lifestyle, with courtship and successful marriage the cornerstone of their enterprise. It doesn't bode well if you can't seem to marry off your daughters, does it?

That's quite a downmarket conference for the Botkins. I'm used to seeing them at Vision Forum conferences with higher production values and larger audiences. They haven't done any VF conferences in a long time, though, have they? I wonder whether there was a falling-out with Doug. It wouldn't be unusual. Very controlling alpha-male types like Doug and GB often have trouble seeing eye to eye.

[attachment=0]092.JPG[/attachment]

I finally figured out who E. Robotkin looks like. A brunette Gail O'Grady (mom on American Dreams).

A. S. Robotkin needs a new dye job and a haircut. Lookin' a little skanky. Mom has always looked haggard. Living with an iconic oracle will do that to you.

Archived