IGNORED

Upper arms and cleavage...oh my!

notathumper

I live near Charlotte, NC which is home to the Proverbs31 Ministries group of women. Lysa Terkeurst heads up this odd assortment of Jesus girls. Each year they have a conference. And, each year menopausal Zoe Elmore falls all over herself with admonishments to the girls registered to attend. Here are some highlights: cover those upper arms (@4:55) and cleavage (@4:57). I guess it would be highly distracting to women and to Jesus! At 5:37 she talks about undergarments. The best is at 5:48 when she warns about women’s “headlights†coming on.

What motivates a woman to pay $650 to attend one of these conferences?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b6nMXZi ... e=youtu.be

Hello to a local FJ! :greetings-waveyellow:

Snarkbillie,

I'm sorry this book had this effect on you. It doesn't sound like there is any compassion whatsoever in it. To me, so much of contemporary Christianity in this country is comprised of "do this and you will have this happen". It's not true. There are so many stresses in our society that to act like it's so easy to solve something just sets people up for further disappointment.

Thank you for replying to my query. I promise never to read her book based on your experience!

I'm so tired of all the "if you just had more faith/prayed more/read the bible more then you wouldn't have problems" theology. There's another book that I can't remember the name of that we read that was about how we're all in debt, unemployed, underpaid, etc. because we don't read the bible enough. Like if I read the bible a few hours every day before I go to work it's going to unfuck the economy or something.....

The book they were reading when I left was something about the "bad girls" of the bible. I got through the forward and just quit going to church. I don't want to say that these books made me quit so much as they're a symptom of everything that's wrong in the world. In the bad girls book there's a passage about how the author used to be in an abusive relationship and got raped......because she was bad. If she had been "good" then nothing like that would have happened to her. :doh: As a former target of abuse I couldn't handle that kind of thing being presented. I couldn't be around it at all.

Liz I think.

:shock: Liz is the most entertaining speaker and openly admits to past drug use, etc., to the point where Howard Stern was shocked and worried about her. I hope that's not what she meant, but if she did that is inexcusable and disgusting. Hopefully that wasn't her intent, but her wording should have been carefully chosen to not trigger or try and shame anyone.

:shock: Liz is the most entertaining speaker and openly admits to past drug use, etc., to the point where Howard Stern was shocked and worried about her. I hope that's not what she meant, but if she did that is inexcusable and disgusting. Hopefully that wasn't her intent, but her wording should have been carefully chosen to not trigger or try and shame anyone.

It's possible that I read it wrong, but I looked up on Amazon to make sure I was thinking of the right book and there are quite a few people who had the same feelings as I did reading it. You can read it for yourself on Amazon, the first part of the book is available for browsing. Also, the fictionalized Eve story I just read was disgusting. There's nothing "romantic" about the scene she sets. Nothing wholesome about Daddy giving you away to a man, especially when she talks again and again and again about how Evie is so pure she doesn't know anything about kissing or sex. Think about that for a minute, young girl has no idea about kissing or sex and is handed off to a man who does by her own father..... that's not romance, that's abuse.

HAHA I put the captions on. When she said "and in good shape" @ 6:57 translated to "any good shit". HAHA :lol:

BTW I like her kitchen :)

I really hate their whole blame the victim mindset I've had two friends in my lifetime who were raped, one the guy broke in during the middle of the night, the other was dragged into the forest by two guys while hiking on a popular stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It boggles my mind how these religious wingnuts could say what happened to them is because they're bad girls. What's worse is it coming from a woman who claims to have been raped herself. I wonder if she might not need a buttload of therapy herself before she tries to give anyone else advice, she sounds like she has some guilt issues.

I do wonder if she has some kind of attention deficiet disorder with her whole explanation about how to dress no flashy colors or heavy make-up, no dangly jewelry that makes noise, no pants or skirts with patterns ect and ect. Is all of this really that distractive too her if it is she must have the attention span of a hyperactive toddler. I only noticed because my ten year old has ADHD she's pretty easily distracted, but she's not that bad.

Hello to a local FJ! :greetings-waveyellow:

Back at you! Given the "environment" in the Charlotte area with Elevation Church, all things Billy Graham and Proverbs 31, there must be others who do not march in sync with these groups.

HAHA I put the captions on. When she said "and in good shape" @ 6:57 translated to "any good shit". HAHA :lol:

BTW I like her kitchen :)

That translation is hilarious and definitely something Zoe would never endorse. Many times the women (Lynn Cowell and Wendy Blight of Prov. 31 come to mind) who do the video blogging thing will stand in their kitchens with completely cleared off counter tops. Looks nothing like my well-used, semi-cluttered kitchen! I don't know if the kitchen setting sends some type of subliminal message or if it's the "look we have granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances we want you to see" message.

It's possible that I read it wrong, but I looked up on Amazon to make sure I was thinking of the right book and there are quite a few people who had the same feelings as I did reading it. You can read it for yourself on Amazon, the first part of the book is available for browsing. Also, the fictionalized Eve story I just read was disgusting. There's nothing "romantic" about the scene she sets. Nothing wholesome about Daddy giving you away to a man, especially when she talks again and again and again about how Evie is so pure she doesn't know anything about kissing or sex. Think about that for a minute, young girl has no idea about kissing or sex and is handed off to a man who does by her own father..... that's not romance, that's abuse.

I completely see what you're saying and agree. If I'm not mistaken Liz Curtis Higgs is the main speaker for the Proverbs 31 conference next month that Zoe is with. I did a quick search on their page, but didn't see it. A couple of months they tweeted that she was their big name. Wonder what Liz will be talking about?

Looks like Zoe has many YouTube videos--I'm particularly interested in the one titled "I Smell Jesus On You". :shock: Excusemewhat??? :shock:

Looks like Zoe has many YouTube videos--I'm particularly interested in the one titled "I Smell Jesus On You". :shock: Excusemewhat??? :shock:

I watched it too. She gave me a self-righteous vibe. She boasts about herself, being known as the "christian" lady in the neighborhood, and that she loves Jesus so much, she smells like him. IDK, watching her talk so un-naturally and so much about herself left me thinking that she doesn't know what Jesus or humility is.

I completely see what you're saying and agree. If I'm not mistaken Liz Curtis Higgs is the main speaker for the Proverbs 31 conference next month that Zoe is with. I did a quick search on their page, but didn't see it. A couple of months they tweeted that she was their big name. Wonder what Liz will be talking about?

Yikes-I will check that out ASAP. Saying such things towards rape survivors is the height of idiocy.

This all kinda assumes that women are stupid.

Don't most of us know, especially if we have a problem with "headlights" to wear a padded bra? Duh?

And upper arms? I guess that's whatever. Kinda like showing your knees. It depends on who you talk to. If I'm in church, I do wear a cardi. It gets cold in there, and the light cardigan stops that. LOL! But no... people like that irritate me.

I just looked at this video. As Zoe is going through her spiel she manages to trash a fellow neighbor before relating how a new neighbor came to her door to announce, "I smell Jesus on you." Do grown women say that to each other? If I heard a neighbor say that, I would scoot as fast as I could. How does Jesus smell to these women?

Later in this same video she tells how she mistakenly used the monistat cream in her toiletries bag to brush her teeth. Okay, now we know she had a yeast infection.

I guess no subject is off limits when you're trying to promote yourself on the Christian women's speaking circuit!

Wow, she would have hated me the other day. I had a 20 minute walk to a dr. appointment, and it was a hot day. Normally I would have worn a cardigan over my fat arms, but that day I decided "fuck it, I'm going to be comfortable" and headed out the door clad only in a spaghetti strapped maxi dress. Oh, the horror! :D

I've half a mind to march down there in all of my ("just barely there") cleavaged, bare-armed glory and defraud the whole bunch all at once. So there.

Archived