IGNORED

How common is it for fundie young men to purchase a house

Justme

for cash before marriage?

I don't follow to many families. (Maxwells, Duggars and little Bates) The Maxwell's are achieving this goal so far. Not so with the Duggars and Bates. Smugger "rents" Grandma's house. One of the Bates son's is engaged, but I don't see a house. Do most fundies "value" home ownership? Are they content to rent? Do any have a (gasp!) mortgage?

If the Maxwells are the "exception", then their is little hope for the daughters to marry. Steve is not going to allow his daughter(s) to go to husband with no (paid in full) home.

Isn't it a simple matter of reaching the close to impossible nature of said dream? I would have thought all fundies aspire to buying a house cash as soon as possible so they can start nesting immediately after the wedding and have babies. It's the ideal scenario. But with so many children per generation and rarely real education, there is little chance that this ideal scenario can be played out.

Someone needs to fund this... And it's impossible for one father to pay for all his sons' houses as they have so many.

Smuggar is just cashing in on his inheritance early (and hoping his 18 brothers & sisters & counting won't come after the house too).

That was definitely the goal for most of the guys I grew up with. Not all could do it in cash, but the ones who got mortgages tended to get less than conventional financing that was often for less than 30 years. I also noticed that a lot of the house flippers in my area were fundies.

One of the Bates son's is engaged, but I don't see a house.

Wait, Zach got engaged? I knew he was courting Sarah Reith, but I must have missed the engagement.

I know that the Sanders/Morton boys had to have somewhere to live. They built those apartments in the "barn" until they can get houses built. Michael and Kres are finally building their own home, I'm guessing so that Andrew/Tom has somewhere for his future bride.

I wonder where they come up with the money for this. Do the parents put away nest eggs for each of their sons? I just can't believe someone that young can have enough cash on hand to buy a house.

We just paid 85000 for our first house, and I'm just grateful we can afford the mortgage and to slowly fix it up. They outright bought theirs and apparently have plenty for repairs.

Does Steve ever go into specifics about where this money comes from? I guess I'm foolish to hope some Madoff-type ponzi scheme will be exposed.

I wonder where they come up with the money for this. Do the parents put away nest eggs for each of their sons? I just can't believe someone that young can have enough cash on hand to buy a house.

We just paid 85000 for our first house, and I'm just grateful we can afford the mortgage and to slowly fix it up. They outright bought theirs and apparently have plenty for repairs.

Does Steve ever go into specifics about where this money comes from? I guess I'm foolish to hope some Madoff-type ponzi scheme will be exposed.

I'm thinking about the Maxwells specifically but it might apply to guys from other families... Do they have their own cars? If not, that's a big chunk of money saved. My car payment was $335 a month for 5 years plus $85 a month for insurance. Anywhere from $50-100 a month on gas. That's $6240 a year just on a car, not including things like oil changes, replacing tires, etc. Over 5 years that's $31,200.

They don't listen to music, watch TV or movies, read anything besides the Bible, or go anywhere f_n (paintball, skating, whatever teenage boys do these days). I don't think the parents make them pay rent or for their food. I'm guessing Steve & Teri pay for their phones and clothes/personal items, too. They probably started working in their early teens (maybe something like mowing lawns or washing cars in the neighborhood?). The Maxwell boys have their construction company for work... I don't know how succesfull it is, but there's that and if they get a good tax return, there's even more... I think they're "encouraged" to be able to buy a home debt-free from a very young age so they save, save, save. Lawson Bates had enough saved up to help Erin pay for college and Zach pay for a car, plus help out with groceries. I think the Maxwells are a bit more money savvy than the Bateses are... Actually I don't "think", I know they are.

Okay, enough rambling.

Do they just get trailers or shacks in the middle of nowhere?

We didn't have cash, period, when we got married, but we wouldn't have had a mortgage this long if we weren't living in an expensive market. If we were looking in Detroit and had construction skills, it would be a different story. I'm not sure how the average young family manages to buy a home in Toronto these days, and I'm grateful we bought 10 years ago.

I guess College Minus is so cheap, parents can instead use money to help their young men get a house for when the courtship has ended with an engagement.

Wow, that's how much my parents paid for their house in New Jersey in 1984, and that was with a gaping hole in the roof.

I'm going to posit that where the fundie man lives has great effect on whether or not he owns his house. In the DC suburbs, a 1 bathroom fixer-upper lists for $150,000.

common here... the houses are one or 2 bedroom fixer upers in shitty parts of town. They seem to get repo's or such. My dh and his brothers bought houses before they married but umm we moved real quick. If you pay $10,000 for a house (granted it was 20 + yrs ago) there is probably a reason why.

The fundies in rural areas sometimes build their own houses, usually small and simple in design, before they get married.

I almost wish I knew some fundies IRL so I could see what they do about housing in my county, where an ordinary single-family house in a safe, kid-friendly neighborhood costs between $350,000-$700,000. But I think the cost of living is one of the many reasons that true fundies are extremely rare here.

I almost wish I knew some fundies IRL so I could see what they do about housing in my county, where an ordinary single-family house in a safe, kid-friendly neighborhood costs between $350,000-$700,000. But I think the cost of living is one of the many reasons that true fundies are extremely rare here.

Yeah, the day I read about some 20-year-old fundie who bought himself a place in Manhattan, or San Francisco, or Vancouver, B.C., then I'll be impressed.

A little tear-down in Leavenworth, Kansas...not so much.

Also I still want to know when is Sarah gonna buy a house? She must have at least as much money in the bank as Joseph. After all, Sarah does get to keep the money from Moody book sales, right Steve? :evil:

QFT!

common here... the houses are one or 2 bedroom fixer upers in shitty parts of town. They seem to get repo's or such. My dh and his brothers bought houses before they married but umm we moved real quick. If you pay $10,000 for a house (granted it was 20 + yrs ago) there is probably a reason why.

Didn't Jimbob and Michelle pay like 10,000 for their first house? I think they had to do quite a bit of fixing and that it was pretty small.

Archived