IGNORED

Duggar Apologists

roddma

You know it's this attitude that burns me up sometimes. Many people who oppose welfare will willingly donate to a family at their church who is having hard times, but god forbid money is taken out of their tax dollars (which has never been in their pocket anyway) for someone less fortunate. These same people who will buy a ticket to a fish fry or chili dinner for the latest person in their community to be stricken with cancer are outraged at the idea for nationalized health care. I'd much rather pay a little more in taxes to ensure neither I, nor anyone else I know goes broke trying to pay medical expenses. It just seems so logical to me. Am I wrong?

Therein lies the problem when you're discussing fundies

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it really brought to light that affection is not an ordinary occurrence in their household, and the fact that none of those kids, young adults included, are particularly close to their mother. Comforting someone can be an awkward experience, but from what I recall, Michelle received not even a comforting hand on her back, or a silent hug.

Yea, it can be awkward to comfort someone. I held my mom's hand during the funeral of her father. I don't remember if I hugged her, but if I didn't, it was probably because my mom isn't the hugging type. I did hug and comfort my grandpa's sister and held her hand and walked with her to her brother's funeral plot when they buried him.

Anyways, none of the kids comforting Michelle ( or even going to her for comfort ) is definitely out of the ordinary, considering how supposedly close they are. It's hard losing a kid, especially when you're the mother.

They may not accept welfare or food stamps but they never turn away donations of free clothing ,TLC finishing their house for free,free trips from being on the show,or gifts from fans none of which are turned over to charity

Speaking of free stuff, the Dugars are no longer playing broom ball because the facility is now charging $5 admission.

I said exactly this same thing on an earlier thread. In fact, even now, reading your comment, I remember how ASTONISHED I was at this. No one comforted her. She comforted no one. There is something significantly, seriously wrong with that family. Whether it's a function of its size, or whether Jmichelle would have been that way with two kids, I'll never know.

I almost wanted to blame that on bad editing, but it seemed to be the only "real" thing I have ever seen on that show...ever.

Duggar fans also like to lay it on thick about how the rest of America lives in McMansions, takes vacations, and drives fancy cars. I often come across comments about people who grew up in a big family and how they didn't starve starve , wore hand me downs, never went to movies, etc. Nevertheless they were happy.I can't see the harm in treating yourself or household if the money allows. Yes some have paid dearly for living beyond their means but there is a such thing as living well-below your means at the expense of health.

Duggar fans also like to lay it on thick about how the rest of America lives in McMansions, takes vacations, and drives fancy cars. I often come across comments about people who grew up in a big family and how they didn't starve starve , wore hand me downs, never went to movies, etc. Nevertheless they were happy.I can't see the harm in treating yourself or household if the money allows. Yes some have paid dearly for living beyond their means but there is a such thing as living well-below your means at the expense of health.

Huh, sounds like the Duggars.

I think it really brought to light that affection is not an ordinary occurrence in their household, and the fact that none of those kids, young adults included, are particularly close to their mother. Comforting someone can be an awkward experience, but from what I recall, Michelle received not even a comforting hand on her back, or a silent hug.

While I have not seen the episode, I have to say I wasn't surprised to hear this. She isn't a Mom in the sense that she parents her children, only in the strictest sense that she has the babies, then hands them off to the J'slaves to "raise". So there is no bond there between her and the kids. Very sad.

While I have not seen the episode, I have to say I wasn't surprised to hear this. She isn't a Mom in the sense that she parents her children, only in the strictest sense that she has the babies, then hands them off to the J'slaves to "raise". So there is no bond there between her and the kids. Very sad.

I keep retyping this message, because it turns in to "Patsy overshares" every time.

My dad doesn't touch anyone except my mother. Ever. Ever. He holds babies, but once they're about four, he never ever touches them again, and that includes his own children. No touching. Ever. Ever. At his father's burial, I sat in the front row of lawn chairs, between him and my brother. I put an arm around my brother's shoulder, because I'd been holding him all day, and then I put my other arm around my father. He reached across my lap and grabbed my brother's hand, and then they held hands in my lap.

We are talking about adult children who were raised with a conspicuous and total absence of physical affection. We are talking about the most awkward father on the planet, putting out his hand to hold his adult son's hand. If it even came naturally to us to seek and provide comfort in this way, then how fucked up must their dynamic be that they cannot do the same? Our dynamic is pretty fucked up, how can this family be worse?

I see those comments all the time and they annoy me because I know several people who grew up in large families and they didn't like having to struggle all the time. Not all people who grew up in large families were 100% happy about it. I have seen and heard stories from people who grew up in large families and had to forgo medical and dental care at times, due to the family not having insurance or not having the money for insurance co-pays. Sometimes cutting corners can effect the health and well-being of large families in different ways. I agree with you, I don't see anything wrong with people treating their families if they have money to do so. I hate when fundie bloggers or Duggar defenders have to bash on non-fundies/smaller for wanting and getting nice stuff once in awhile.

I think Duggar fans also exaggerate the whole belief about" the rest of America in McMansions, vacations, and having fancy stuff." The only people that i know that take a lot of vacations, having large houses, and driving around luxury cars are surgeons, orthodontists, and few people who have high paying corporate jobs. Everyone else I know doesn't have large houses, go on vacations all the time, or have fancy cars. Some of them make good livings but they don't live above their means. The Duggar fans will always try to justify the Duggars going on vacations and getting other TLC perks. The excuses are the usual, "TLC knows that they are a good hardworking family" or that stuff like. When it comes down to it, the Duggars haven't really worked for those perks. They simply had a large family and TLC touts that around in a freak show manner. A lot of families save up to go on vacations, the Duggars don't, TLC foots the bill. I rolled my eyes when Boob bitched about subway ticket prices during the NYC episode. We all know TLC gave them the cash during the trip. As I mentioned before, reality shows don't make long term profits. The Duggar shows probably don't do well in instant video or DVD sales. The Duggars are disposable commodities to TLC and TLC isn't going to be giving them perks or recognition forever.

Huh, sounds like the Duggars.

:lol:

My partner and I drive 12-year-old cars (one of which I actually paid cash for, cause I bought used and saved the difference!). Our vacations are staying at home, maaaybe going to the beach an hour away. My house is over 100 years old, and is approximately 1800 square feet. We could get by with less if I didn't do so many things that take up room, like sewing and playing the (ebil) drums. The Duggars live way more high on the hog than we do.

:lol:

My partner and I drive 12-year-old cars (one of which I actually paid cash for, cause I bought used and saved the difference!). Our vacations are staying at home, maaaybe going to the beach an hour away. My house is over 100 years old, and is approximately 1800 square feet. We could get by with less if I didn't do so many things that take up room, like sewing and playing the (ebil) drums. The Duggars live way more high on the hog than we do.

I agree with you we live in Flordia and gave up cars all together long ago we have bikes or use the bus to save on

Insurance and gas .Of course not all places have good bus systems or people dont live near one and not all states

Have the wheater for bike riding but I see no real reason why the Duggars need so many vicheles ,or why

Almost all of their children have their own cell phone (the youngest ones dont of course)each one needs

Their own laptop etc.My guess is JB flips the bill for all those.The younger kids are always with their

Parents or brothers and sisters so I see no reason for a 9 year old to carry a cell when they are always

With someone older who carries one also.I rember one of the boys fell through a stage and was hurt badly

And you look up only to see almost every Duggar child filming with a cell phone and I couldn't help but

Think why are all the phones.Does very Duggar need one what a waste.They save money on things

Like clothes and food but waste money on cars,phones ,etc. things that can Kids can really do

Without.And the adult kids could go out and be working to pay for rather then depending on daddy

To flip the bill for.

But, in the fundie world, music IS perceived to lead to the path of destruction:

http://www.av1611.org/crock/crockids.html

:shock:

"I never listened to the so-called 'Christian rock,' but I did listen to Christian contemporary music. I realized that all day long, when I was dressing or getting ready for bed, the songs were in my head. The backbeat and the music that was full of soft, then real loud notes made my whole body move faster. When all this was going on, I could never concentrate on studies, much less the Bible. It was distracting, and I also realized that when I would go into a store that had rock playing, I liked it, and it was a lot like the tapes I had been listening to."

An Eighteen-Year-Old Student From Florida

"For many years I listened to 'Christian rock' and excused it because I was not listening to secular rock. I loved going to concerts and enjoying myself. Then I went to one 'Christian rock' concert, and one of the lead singers was dressed in a tank top and tight jeans. I was not sure what to do. I knew it was wrong, but I stayed anyway. When I got home my mom saw one of the pamphlets. She was shocked and said, "No more 'Christian rock'!" I was forced to obey, but later chose to obey, seeing how wrong the music was."

A Fifteen-Year-Old Student From Texas

"'Christian rock' and Christian contemporary music have, in my life, been stepping stones. Not stepping stones going up — but down. Just a few months of listening to 'Christian rock' and contemporary music led to a life of being controlled by acid rock. This quickly led to and encouraged rebellion, greed, moral impurity, and trying to protect my rights and hide from my parents.

"Now, however, I have become accountable to my father in this, and I am experiencing glorious victory over this satanic music. As I quit, however, I was tempted to get back into 'Christian rock,' because, after all, 'Christian rock' is better than heavy metal, I thought. The Lord in His grace, though, reminded me of the effects this music had on my life before, and I was able to overcome it. I thank God that He is leading me to victory."

A Seventeen-Year-Old Student From Pennsylvania

"I am very intimate with music. I was brought up in a strict Christian home, but I rebelled and moved away from home. While in the world I got ,into dance and choreography. All was very sensuous!

"The music we used was rock music, of course! After a while my body was so in tune with the music that it controlled me. After I gave my life back to God I was discouraged one particular day, so I turned on the local Christian radio station for some encouraging music. "Well, I don't remember one word except ,exalt.' All I know is that my sensuous feelings all came back with the beat and the spirit of the music. I can now say there is no such thing as 'Christian rock,' and this type of music should not be in one's house, much less in God's holy house of worship!"

A Nineteen-Year-Old Student From Texas

"I have been struggling with a moral failure. After a time of defeat, I noticed that these devastating failures were coming after or during listening to 'soft rock' or 'Christian rock' music.

I now realize that I had seared my conscience in the area of music. The destructive rhythms bring a sensual awakening inside of me and this leads to alessening of inhibitions. Since asking for God's forgiveness and healing, becoming accountable to my parents, and removing these evil influences, I have experienced amazing victory and freedom!

"However, I still feel the danger in 'Christian rock' and its pull on my spirit. I wish every person would take this matter seriously because so much damage has been done to me. Consequences and scars remain that would have never happened if only I had been more alert to the dangers."

A Twenty-Year-Old Student From Texas

Some of them sound like they are describing drug addiction, but most sound like the process could have better been described like this: "the music made me aware that I have a body and it likes to move in rhythm, which led to dancing, having fun, and/or masturbating -- y'know, like a normal teenager."

After the night and day I had I have to just pop in to say - Michelle Duggar is totally NUTS! I am 41 with 4 kids - 21,18,16 and 8. I just kept my 4 week old grandson over night while my daughter moved. OMG I admit I used to kinda want more kids but shit I totally know now why its a job for the younger folks.

Thats is all.....

:shock:

Some of them sound like they are describing drug addiction, but most sound like the process could have better been described like this: "the music made me aware that I have a body and it likes to move in rhythm, which led to dancing, having fun, and/or masturbating -- y'know, like a normal teenager."

ya know, I think my last "devastating moral failure" occured whilst rockin out to some Air Supply tunes. I blame the evil SOFT ROCK!

I see those comments all the time and they annoy me because I know several people who grew up in large families and they didn't like having to struggle all the time. Not all people who grew up in large families were 100% happy about it. I have seen and heard stories from people who grew up in large families and had to forgo medical and dental care at times, due to the family not having insurance or not having the money for insurance co-pays. Sometimes cutting corners can effect the health and well-being of large families in different ways. I agree with you, I don't see anything wrong with people treating their families if they have money to do so. I hate when fundie bloggers or Duggar defenders have to bash on non-fundies/smaller for wanting and getting nice stuff once in awhile.

I think Duggar fans also exaggerate the whole belief about" the rest of America in McMansions, vacations, and having fancy stuff." The only people that i know that take a lot of vacations, having large houses, and driving around luxury cars are surgeons, orthodontists, and few people who have high paying corporate jobs. Everyone else I know doesn't have large houses, go on vacations all the time, or have fancy cars. Some of them make good livings but they don't live above their means. The Duggar fans will always try to justify the Duggars going on vacations and getting other TLC perks. The excuses are the usual, "TLC knows that they are a good hardworking family" or that stuff like. When it comes down to it, the Duggars haven't really worked for those perks. They simply had a large family and TLC touts that around in a freak show manner. A lot of families save up to go on vacations, the Duggars don't, TLC foots the bill. I rolled my eyes when Boob bitched about subway ticket prices during the NYC episode. We all know TLC gave them the cash during the trip. As I mentioned before, reality shows don't make long term profits. The Duggar shows probably don't do well in instant video or DVD sales. The Duggars are disposable commodities to TLC and TLC isn't going to be giving them perks or recognition forever.

It isn't justDuggar defenders who have this view. Read any article on unemployment. There are always a few who think unemployed people are lazy and waste their money on frivolous things. Anyway if Fundies would get out every now and then, they will find a struggling family right around the corner from them. I guess in their minds the Duggars are entitled to all the perks because they are godly. Only die hard fans will buy the DVDs. I notice the new book doesn't have that many reviews on Amazon.

Oh another favorite defense is the Duggars arent on medication. How does that make someon a bad person? You cant' presume they aren't because it isn't mentioned.

Archived