IGNORED

Why the Maxwells have church in a nursing home...

Guest purposing

Guest Anonymous

From the comments on this blog entry: titus2.com/blog/index.php/2008/05/13/who-has-the-memory-loss-plus-a-blessing/

Could you please explain more about your nursing home church, or direcct me to a former blog post, if necessary? I am very interested in hearing more about it!

>>>>>>>>>>

We have had our church fellowship there for 5 years now. We love those people and they love us. We thought we would be able to bless them, but they bless us far, far, more than we ever could imagine. We don’t have any problems with immodesty, with youth groups or contemporary music. When we travel, Nathan and Melanie take over the service for us.

I’m not sure what to else to say. The whole family loves the elderly. Joseph calls them the jewels of the faith. They are the cast-offs off our society, but precious in the sight of the Lord Jesus. A nursing home church is the definition of pure religion as found in James 1:27. Anyone curious is welcome to visit us at Golden Living in Lansing, KS Sunday mornings at 9:30. I do have more information I can email you if you would like.

James 1:27

New International Version (NIV)

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

[my emboldening]

OK.... I've heard lots of fundies exclaim about the dangers of youth groups, but only the Maxwells have come up with the definitive solution to that problem... :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Meaning, we have complete control over our kids and they have no chance of running into anyone their age. EVER. Poor Sarah,she is never going to get a man. I am sure Joseph calls the eldery "jewels of the faith" on his own,because all teens talk like that. :rolleyes

From the comments on this blog entry: titus2.com/blog/index.php/2008/05/13/who-has-the-memory-loss-plus-a-blessing/

Could you please explain more about your nursing home church, or direcct me to a former blog post, if necessary? I am very interested in hearing more about it!

>>>>>>>>>>

We have had our church fellowship there for 5 years now. We love those people and they love us. We thought we would be able to bless them, but they bless us far, far, more than we ever could imagine. We don’t have any problems with immodesty, with youth groups or contemporary music. When we travel, Nathan and Melanie take over the service for us.

I’m not sure what to else to say. The whole family loves the elderly. Joseph calls them the jewels of the faith. They are the cast-offs off our society, but precious in the sight of the Lord Jesus. A nursing home church is the definition of pure religion as found in James 1:27. Anyone curious is welcome to visit us at Golden Living in Lansing, KS Sunday mornings at 9:30. I do have more information I can email you if you would like.

James 1:27

New International Version (NIV)

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

[my emboldening]

OK.... I've heard lots of fundies exclaim about the dangers of youth groups, but only the Maxwells have come up with the definitive solution to that problem... :lol:

I think it would be more telling to acknowledge and count the 'old folks' who don't gather in the common room than the ones who do.

They are preying on people who are compromised, probably scared and confused, and kind of without choice since they can't exactly leave the home.

ANY faith the nursing home residents have probably has limited options for fulfillment. All is better than none for believers and those who are faithful.

Maxwell takes advantage of that and uses it to show himself off.

I guarantee that if my Catholic aunt were in one of those nursing homes, she would ignore them; but if she got nothing otherwise, she'd go to the common room just to be part of something. Anything.

The Maxwells are predators and out to create their image. They don't give a rat's ass about anyone else and go so far as to trap and manipulate innocent, compromised people.

Inspired by Lissar's invention of the Tony Translator which worked so well when Taliban Tony came over to play, I was purposed to invent a Maxwell translator. It is supposed to work for all Maxwells, all I have to do is type in the quote, who wrote it and it translates the message. It is still in late-stage development, but I decided to test it out on this. I typed in the quote plus Sarah as the author and this is what it said

About 5 years ago, Dad decided he wanted to further isolate us from the rest of the world. He didn't like most churches because women were beginning to dress in pants and have short hair and the preacher was not interpreting the Bible the way Dad wanted it interpreted. He spoke to much of love, understanding and compassion and not enough about suffering, sacrifice, and where we would spend eternity. He was also worried that someone from the youth group would start talking to the younger children and they would want to join and spend time with people their own age. Dad didn't like this since and he doesn't want us to have worldly friends because it could compromise his authority and his children should only spend time with their immediate families. He was also worried they would listen to christian rock and their hearts would turn from the Lord. Dad's solution was to have church at the nursing home where he would serve as the worship leader and the scriptures could be taught how he wanted them taught. Also, at the nursing home there is no fear that we may meet someone our own age and want to "date" them. Also, these poor, poor, unsaved people will leave their worldly life and do not yet know Jesus. We need to save them so that they may know the Lord and go to heaven when die.

I remember one picture they posted of their "church". Teri & Steve were in chairs front & center. The residents were in the back. Either Chris or Nathan were "talking". If the "church" was about the residents, all the Maxwells would be in the back giving the residents the front & center spots. At least Melanie had the decorum to sit in the back.

It's just a horse & pony show in eyes.....

Guest Anonymous

:lol: Twin2, I think I want to marry you. Could your authority talk to my authority about courtship? No kissing and stuff, but maybe I could see your 'translator machine' if we get engaged.... :lol:

If the Maxwells ever went to my mother's assisted living home, they would have been defrauded. A lot of the ladies wore low cut tops and pretty tight pants. This was because they enjoyed flirting with the gentlemen.

:lol: Twin2, I think I want to marry you. Could your authority talk to my authority about courtship? No kissing and stuff, but maybe I could see your 'translator machine' if we get engaged.... :lol:

No problem, I could use an extra set of hands. Thus far it only does Steve, Teri and Sarah, got to get the others in there, but I'm having problems finding writing samples from the post-reversal kids. Keep in mind however that my authority speaks feline. She is against kissing and hugging, but hand sex is ok.

When I was a kid, I frequently visited a local nursing home with my church. The irony is that it was specifically with the children's Sunday School program. Sometimes we'd make crafts or bring flowers, but mostly we visited just for companionship and the residents loved it! My age-segregated Sunday School class did far more to help nursing home residents than the Maxwells ever have.

You can not force the any resident to participate in a religious service if they do not want to do so. It violates federal law, and facilities would risk their Medicare funding to do so. At my facility, there were local churches that took turns offering services. Each week, we'd announce the start time and then offer to help those residents who wished to attend assistance to get to the location of the service. About 1/4-1/3 attended, depending on the church hosting--a lot of Catholics would not attend a protestant service. Some also had their own clergy that would come and do visits as well. Confused residents/those with advanced dementia typically can't sit through the entire service and tend to be disruptive. Considering what we've heard about the Maxwells in reference to Anna Marie's handicapped sister, I can't imagine they'd handle dementia patients very well.

The Maxwells would be shocked to find out the dirty mouths on some of these old people, as well as the number of times I've had my ass grabbed or my chest fondled. One time, the pt. was a lawyer--very advanced dementia--who grabbed my chest during cares. I asked him what he'd do as a lawyer if I came to him as a client and told him I'd been fondled like he just did to me. He smiled at me and said "I'd sue". :-)

FYI...in case you can't tell, I'm pretty passionate about geriatric care. When I went into nursing, the last thing I ever wanted to do was take care of the elderly. It was my first job and I initially did not like it. All I could see was the sadness, the smells, and the dementia. Over time, I found myself loving my residents. I recently left that job to work closer to home, for more money, in a job with better opportunities. One resident told me I couldn't leave, while another has called me his "guardian angel" because I would take him out to smoke and I would talk to him. Another resident (who since passed away) made me feel so loved when I came back from vacation. She heard me outside her room the day I came back, and I heard her say to her roommate "Looks like our girl is back! Sunny, is that you?"

For the most part (of course there are ALWAYS exceptions) those of us who do long term care love what we do, and love our patients.

Now that I've read that explanation for why the Maxwells have church in a nursing home, I'm hoping that one fine Sunday, they go to have their usual nursing home church. And it happens to be a Sunday when some churchgoer's grandson is visiting. And he's a hot guy in his 20s/30s who can see past the frumper and decides Sarah is really worth knowing......

.....and she gets away from the parents and lives (mostly) happily ever after.

Maybe Sarah can find herself a sugar daddy in the nursing home. Preferably a rich one because once she's married she's out from under her father's "umbrella of protection."

The nursing home is a 40 minute drive from my parents' house, where I'm living for the summer. Y'all dare me to visit? I'm not frumper-fying, though as I can't stand the feeling of long dresses or skirts, and the idea of all that fabic during a sticky Kansas summer is making me wince. I'll have to wear my streets instead of going incognito. Gauze mini skirt? Khaki capris? Fitted blouse and a pair of hippie sandals (no flimsy flipflops!)? Oh yeeeeah.

I feel so sorry for the older people, even if most of them want to be at the service. If Christopher's wedding is anything to go by, Steve probably is all about death and doom, which I'm sure some of these residents are staring in the face. How unsensitive!

The nursing home is a 40 minute drive from my parents' house, where I'm living for the summer. Y'all dare me to visit? I'm not frumper-fying, though as I can't stand the feeling of long dresses or skirts, and the idea of all that fabic during a sticky Kansas summer is making me wince. I'll have to wear my streets instead of going incognito. Gauze mini skirt? Khaki capris? Fitted blouse and a pair of hippie sandals (no flimsy flipflops!)? Oh yeeeeah.

I triple dog dare ya!!

I feel so sorry for the older people, even if most of them want to be at the service. If Christopher's wedding is anything to go by, Steve probably is all about death and doom, which I'm sure some of these residents are staring in the face. How unsensitive!

Oh pretty please! With sugar on top!!! Wear a modest trench coat, then get to "hot" during service. Whip it off to show lots of cleavage!! (I think Stevie is a boob man. :lol: ) Start singing something from Jesus Christ Superstar!

Guest Anonymous

I triple dog dare ya!!

Yes!!! :lol:

If you go in immodest clothes, you are sure to come home laden with Ray Comfort literature and your ears ringing with Steve's message of salvation!

If the Maxwells ever went to my mother's assisted living home, they would have been defrauded. A lot of the ladies wore low cut tops and pretty tight pants. This was because they enjoyed flirting with the gentlemen.

Of course, there's 5-10 women for every man, they HAVE to look all hot and sexy to even have a chance!

Guest Anonymous

If they catch Sarah misbehaving she'll be left behind in the Church of Uriah to worship alone.... :mrgreen:

uriah.jpg

I cannot say how offensive it is to me that the Maxwells call nursing home residents the "castoffs" of our society.

My father struggled with Alzheimer's for the last twenty years of his life, the final three in a nursing home because my mother could no longer care for him and his need for care exceeded what my sister could do even with 24-hour home health aids. My mother visited him every day and my sister got him ready for bed every evening. He was not a castoff, he was loved by us all but he was safest (and happy) in a care facility.

My mother currently lives in an assisted living center. She has friends and interests. My sister visits her every day, the rest of us visit when we can get there (I live 1800 miles away), and we talk to her on the phone frequently. She's even on FB. She is also not a castoff.

I am so angry right now I am shaking. Castoffs. No, most of the people I have known in nursing homes have been people with families and friends who loved them.

My mom is currently in a care center (PC for nursing home). My mom has Alzheimer's. On Sundays they have different churches that come and do services for the residents in the main activity room. The CNA's go around and let the patients know what is happening and ask them if they'd like to go. My mom goes if I am there to go with her. On Wednesday night they have a church that comes in every week and does music and a sermon--I take mom to this. On Sunday mornings a majority of the residents/patients attend service.

Steve and Teri love my mom--Alzhimer's and all. I remember one night a few years ago we were having dinner together and my mom really wanted to pray so I checked with Steve to make sure this would be OK, and it was. What followed was a scene right out of "National Lampon's Christmas Vacation". Mom started to pray and moved right into the Pledge of Alligence. After dinner Steve and Teri both spoke with me about their nursing home ministry and how they undertand about dementia.

Guest Anonymous

These people are the worst kind of religious predators. First, as "VVV" said, living in a nursing home or assisted living center does not make a person a castoff and Steve Maxwell has one fuck of a nerve calling them that. My own term for him would be "world's only LIVING heart donor". Try growing some compassion, Steve.

He and his family are taking advantage of people who are either too cognitively impaired, or too frail physically, or both and who are not in any condition to walk out on him and his so-called message. I bet his homilies to them lean heavily on death and their prospective eternities. Does it ever occur to him that not everyone intends to greet the Grim Reaper like he's waving a winning lottery ticket in one hand?

I never thought this day would come, but here it is; I may have to defend Steve. My mother is in an assisted living facility and my father was in an Alzheimer's care facility for a year and a half, until his death. I have gotten to know many of the residents and their families because I go every day. Many of the people in both places where my parents live(d) ARE castoffs. Not all, but many. They never have visitors. Some have outlived their children, friends, and spouse. Some had children from whom they were estranged. More of them had children in the area who never visited. In my father's facility, there were several residents who had court appointed guardians because the families were done with their care and with any involvement at all. It is really sad.

There were other residents who had very involved family members-I have even met two women who have continued to visit and volunteer at a facility years after their family member died. And some residents have one family member who is involved while the others think it is great that she is doing such a good job. And it is almost always a woman who visits and cares for the resident, from what I have observed.

I doubt Steve meant that the residents of the nursing home were worthless people. I am sure he was referring to those who do not have many outsiders interested in them. They have been "castoff" by their loved ones. I don't think he meant to denegrate your loved ones in nursing homes and other facilities. I think he was simply describing what he sees.

It's just interesting to see both POV's on that issue... I've been around a lot of nursing homes/rehab centers/whatever they are called... and I've seen a wide variety. I've been on the caretaker side, and the family member side. I love helping people, and just being there for others, but it is very emotionally draining. I think I've been a caretaker ever since I was 14 years old, and I would not wish that on ANYONE. I can see why people wouldn't want to go visit their family members; it's just so emotionally difficult for some people that it is just best if they stay away and on the other side, some people can handle it and go visit every day, take their relative places, etc.

I think it has more to do with not the amount you love someone, but with how people handle things. It's different for every person inside and outside the facility and everyone has their own POV due to their experiences. Just saying.

And I'm a bit uneasy with the way the maxwells are doing some things but.... if it is not forced and people are enjoying it, fine. Not saying I'm all for it though, since I don't think I am informed enough to move off of the fence, lol :)

Guest Anonymous
My mom is currently in a care center (PC for nursing home). .

In the UK we call them 'care' or 'residential' homes if people have social and day to day needs, and 'nursing' homes if there are medical issues that require nurses to be on hand 24/7. Nothing 'PC' about it. I don't know what 'PC' even means in this context.

My problem with the Maxwells describing the residents as "castoffs" is that they visit the home every other Saturday and likely have no idea who has relatives and who doesn't. The arrogance astounds me!

And all the while, doesn't Steve's own mother have dementia and live in a home so far away that they make infrequent visits. They have a 'distressed widow' much closer to home that they could be demonstrating 'church' to.....

All the while they choose to live in a neat little row of houses with Christopher and Anna, and Nathan and Melanie, and all of their perfectly capable adult children, under Steve's 'umbrella of protection' all day every day.... :cry:

Archived