IGNORED

Guest Post at God's Daughter-Sticking it to her.

dairyfreelife

Someone named Sarah Elizabeth guest posted on Raquel's blog. I thought it was interesting.

You see, I thought romance was all crimson colored rose petals and candle lit dinners under the stars and bold exclamations of ardent love, shouted aloud from rooftops for all the birds of the world to hear, just to make a girl like me swoon and fall to pieces. But love isn't always filled with the super romantic happenings and gushings that we've built up in our imaginations after all.

It's just that I don't particularly like how a girl's preconceived notions of love and romance can ruin her chances of seeing what true romance and love really are when they are shown to her one day.

There's nothing wrong with having ideas of what you want. I have them too. Someone who works hard and has goals and isn't some gym rat who wants to do nothing with his life except the gym *cough, sister's boyfriend, cough*. Someone who's a decent person and has a conscience (aka, not a sociopath). You know, just little things like that. I can't say I base any thoughts of supposed "Mr. Right" on a book character. Poor guy would never be good enough.

However, Sarah is still grouped in the fundie ideas.

I did meet a guy, after twenty years of waiting for him mind you,

Maybe it's just me, but I'm always bothered by statements like this. I can't imagine finding someone tomorrow and shortly after falling head over heels in love and saying, "I met this guy. I've been waiting for him for twenty-three years." I've definitely not been waiting for a romance since birth. :roll:

Romance can be just like a fairy tale, ladies, but it can also come masquerading as it's own unique brand of love sweetly shown.

I've never really had a romantic relationship, but is there any romantic relationship out there that is "just like a fairy tale?" I'd love to know because I've never heard or seen one in real life.

"Remember to never compare your romance to those you watch in the movies, because they're written by scriptwriters, and yours is written by God."

Yep, another who believes God "writes your life" sort of thing.

Regardless of her, frankly silly, notions at age twenty about love and romance, it sounded to me like she was telling Raquel, in a nice way, that her ideas of love and romance are unrealistic and stupid. :twisted:

god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/looking-for-mr-darcy-guest-post-by.html

Honestly, I don't think Raquel will listen to her. Her head is so far up her arse.

Who would want a romance like a fairy tale? Have these people actually READ fairy tales? "We had my stepmother dance herself to death in red-hot iron shoes at our wedding."

I think Miss Raquel thinks so much of herself that she will never realize that the guest writer is talking about her. She probably thinks that the post is talking about all those other flighty, romantic young maidens, but never about her. She is God's daughter after all and He speaks through her so obviously everything she writes and does is perfect.

I remember writing poems about my Mr. Darcy and future romance once upon a time, though it was all but a dream.

Mr. Darcy never struck me as a romantic figures. Sure some hot men have played him in the movies but in the book, he is far from perfect. He is a little arrogant and proud. I love the story but I wouldn't say that Darcy was the perfect romantic model. I'm not certain why so many young fundie girls idolize him so much.

To me, the writer sounds a bit preachy but I suppose that makes her very similar to other young fundie writers.

Mr. Darcy never struck me as a romantic figures.

I agree. I like the book, but Darcy is not a very romantic type at all. That is the whole point of the novel.

I agree. I like the book, but Darcy is not a very romantic type at all. That is the whole point of the novel.

I never thought he was either, but these people tend to worship Jane Austen books like they are awesome and oblivious to the fact that Austen was not trying to show awesome. Her books are basically satire of the time. I think they found the movie character attractive and ignore the book one or haven't actually read it. Sort of like how I've heard people talk about Severus Snape being attractive because of Alan Rickman and the movies make him much more pleasant. In the books, he's an asshole who's not supposed to be attractive at all. You can't assume people are objective about characters. And really, assuming your romance will be just like one in the books is cute when you're like twelve, but at twenty? Even without a relationship, surely most people have seen enough relationships with others to know it's not like that in real life. Then again, she was probably isolated in her homeschooling.

I did meet a guy, after twenty years of waiting for him mind you,

How old is Sarah Elizabeth?

I'll be generous and guess she's 30, at the most. Which means she's been waiting for a husband since she was 10, or younger? That's all kinds of creepy.

Why do fundies not see that pushing save-it-for-marriage on kids that young is just as, if not more sexualizing than mainstream culture?

I'll be generous and guess she's 30, at the most. Which means she's been waiting for a husband since she was 10, or younger? That's all kinds of creepy.

She'd been waiting since menarche.

Why do fundies not see that pushing save-it-for-marriage on kids that young is just as, if not more sexualizing than mainstream culture?

She's 22 and met the guy 2.5 years ago, so when she said twenty years, she meant she's waited her whole life.

edit: met and meant are two different words.

She's 22 and met the guy 2.5 years ago, so when she said twenty years, she meant she's waited her whole life.

edit: met and meant are two different words.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. :snooty: I've heard there are bible studies that are based somehow on Twilight and I'm just waiting for them to bring that whole "imprinting" thing into the courtship model.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. :snooty: I've heard there are bible studies that are based somehow on Twilight and I'm just waiting for them to bring that whole "imprinting" thing into the courtship model.

Although not canon doctrine: In the LDS faith this "idea" already exists. Exhibit A: Saturday's Warrior http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday%27s_Warrior

ETA: That's exactly where Stephanie Meyer got the whole imprinting bs. Gag

Thank you! Stephanie Nielson (mormon blogger) calls her husband "Mr. Nielson" because she thinks Mr. Darcy is just sooooo romantic and I'm always just thinking "Huh? Did these people ever read the book??"

Thank you! Stephanie Nielson (mormon blogger) calls her husband "Mr. Nielson" because she thinks Mr. Darcy is just sooooo romantic and I'm always just thinking "Huh? Did these people ever read the book??"

Because criticizing one's appearance, parents, sisters, family background, personality, etc. is just soooo romantic.

I suspect that there are two main factors in why Mr. Darcy is considered such a romantic character. 1) He was played by Colin Firth in the BBC miniseries. This is probably the major factor. 2) The idea of a man being so overwhelmed by "love" that he disregards his common sense and his principles. After all, we're talking about a group who probably also thinks that Romero and Juliet is romantic. Because nothing says romantic like getting yourself killed by a stupid plan.

lwnFE_NpMsE

Slightly OT, but when I read the bit about the Twilight Bible studies I gasped so loudly, and with such horror, that my headship ran in from the other room to make sure I was okay.

Back on topic--yeah, fairy tale romance? EW. My relationship with Headship is based on making awesome food and inappropriate puns together. Fuck a bunch of froofy bullshit. I can't even imagine what a fairytale relationship would be like, although I did LOL at the 'mothing in law dancing herself to death in hot iron shoes' theory.

I always wanted Rhett Butler.

There's "romance" that writers come up with, and then there's *real* romance, IMO. Frankly, the whole swooning/getting swept off my feet/him riding in on a white horse just never appealed to me (sounds pretty exhausting and fake, actually). But it's romantic when DH makes my coffee in the morning "just because," or buys me sourdough pretzels when I have the flu and they're the only thing I want (actually, that's *really* romantic, because I don't exactly look fetching with my runny nose and ponytailed hair and sweats and croaky voice, but he treats me like I'm beautiful anyway :) ). And it's romantic when we sit on the couch together to watch Jeopardy and he puts his feet in my lap so I can give him a foot massage after a long day at work. That kind of stuff is romantic. Little "I'm always thinking of you things" that add up.

There's "romance" that writers come up with, and then there's *real* romance, IMO. Frankly, the whole swooning/getting swept off my feet/him riding in on a white horse just never appealed to me (sounds pretty exhausting and fake, actually). But it's romantic when DH makes my coffee in the morning "just because," or buys me sourdough pretzels when I have the flu and they're the only thing I want (actually, that's *really* romantic, because I don't exactly look fetching with my runny nose and ponytailed hair and sweats and croaky voice, but he treats me like I'm beautiful anyway :) ). And it's romantic when we sit on the couch together to watch Jeopardy and he puts his feet in my lap so I can give him a foot massage after a long day at work. That kind of stuff is romantic. Little "I'm always thinking of you things" that add up.

I 100% agree with you on this!

Amen! The door on Fiance's and my room has a gimpy knob that never works quite right. Fiance was in the room with the door closed as he heard me approaching with water. He jumped up to the open the door and declared "I opened it because I know you can't work the knob and carry water at the same time. See? Thoughtful!" He grinned and was quite pleased with his fiance prowess. :lol:

I do love a man who can compensate for my klutziness and doorknob wrath while making me laugh all at the same time. No horses required.

Slightly OT, but when I read the bit about the Twilight Bible studies I gasped so loudly, and with such horror, that my headship ran in from the other room to make sure I was okay.

Back on topic--yeah, fairy tale romance? EW. My relationship with Headship is based on making awesome food and inappropriate puns together. Fuck a bunch of froofy bullshit. I can't even imagine what a fairytale relationship would be like, although I did LOL at the 'mothing in law dancing herself to death in hot iron shoes' theory.

I felt like I had been punked when I realized that I wasn't reading an Onion article.

Archived