IGNORED

Words banned on tests in NYC schools

terranova

http://endthelie.com/2012/03/27/politic ... z1qNvLPzoi

Dinosaurs are banned because they supposedly might offend people who do not believe in evolution, yet this makes little to no sense given that even the most fundamentalist creationists seem to realize that there were, indeed dinosaurs.

They are also banning birthdays, wealth, poverty, Halloween, dancing, terrorism, divorce, references to disease, slavery, creatures from outer space, and many more.

Isn't this just a tad nuts?

They are banning words that could invoke negative emotions from state testing. Just to clarify.

They are banning words that could invoke negative emotions from state testing. Just to clarify.

That doesn't make this any more ridiculous...I mean, just because I'm offended by certain concepts or don't agree with something doesn't mean I'd ban the word for it. Some things don't have another name for themselves.

That doesn't make this any more ridiculous...I mean, just because I'm offended by certain concepts or don't agree with something doesn't mean I'd ban the word for it. Some things don't have another name for themselves.

I'd sure like to read the real story from a site that isn't flaming right wing or manned by gonzo conspiracy nuts.

Like I said, it is just for the standardized tests. Most states have similar requests. You don't want to say anything that upsets the children being tested--the word 'poverty' is also on the list, for example.

So what happens to these kids when they leave school and find out the real world doesn't soften the blow?

So what happens to these kids when they leave school and find out the real world doesn't soften the blow?

Yes, because upsetting elementary aged children while trying to assess their learning and skills is going to affect how they react to the real world.

These kind of things are often about trying to be aware and not make standardized tests that are culturally biased and geared toward middle class white kids.

It's not about softening any blow (although we are talking about children here, is that really a bad thing?). It's about collecting accurate test results that can be used to determine how well schools are doing. If the tests include language that upsets or distracts certain groups of children, then it is not an accurate measure.

It's not about softening any blow (although we are talking about children here, is that really a bad thing?). It's about collecting accurate test results that can be used to determine how well schools are doing. If the tests include language that upsets or distracts certain groups of children, then it is not an accurate measure.

Surely if you tried hard enough you'd find something that managed to upset or distract any child in any given class? Maybe we shouldn't talk about rabbits incase one little kid's rabbit has just died. Or Grandmothers for the same reason? What about cars, planes and trains, because they crash and people die. Some kids are sensitive to certain foods, should we stop discussing how peanuts are grown incase we upset them?

IMO, it's ridculous and if their aim is to get an accurate measure of what children are learning, then they're failing.

It's just limited to testing. There's nothing to say that these words aren't in the school library or used during the school day.

Different groups of children will have different vocabularies, and New York has a very diverse population. Test results shouldn't suggest that kids have a language delay if they haven't had exposure to specific words. Testing Jehovah's Witness or Orthodox Jewish students on Halloween would be like testing kids in rural Arkansas on Diwali.

They are going about it all wrong though. The problem with standardized tests isn't the language, it's the overall racial, economical, religious, cultural, etc. biases of the questions. You can ban all the negative words you want, but if the questions still assume every student is white, middle class, born in the USofA males with one mom and one dad it's going to play against everyone who isn't.

Whilst I strongly disagree with using standardised testing to determine how schools are doing, or as the determinate measurement of a child's progress, I completely agree with the fact that tests need to be as neutral as possible, so as jot to punish a child for who they are, or what their background is.

So what happens if the kid uses one of those words in the writing portion of a standardized test? They get expelled?

Heres a list of the words that can't be used now- http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/26/ ... zed-tests/

Interesting that rats and roaches can't be used but I don't see snakes aren't a lot of people afraid of snakes therefore causing a "negative emotion"? And I'm laughing about "rock and roll music" being on the list.

I can see why terrorism, for example, might be a really triggering word for many people in New York State and why banning it from tests might be a good idea. Dinosaur just seems ridiculous though. I don't see how, even if you don't think dinosaurs existed, it could be a particularly triggering concept.

Words suggesting either wealth or poverty are banned because they could supposedly make children feel jealous or saddened.

OMG we are now entering the times of Fahrenheit 451, where books are banned because the government wants to prevent stirring up emotions in its citizens. Because having clueless citizens who cannot reason or self learn is much easier to control. :shock:

ETA: Because Fahrenheit 951 would be too hot for fire!

So what happens if the kid uses one of those words in the writing portion of a standardized test? They get expelled?

Heres a list of the words that can't be used now- http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/26/ ... zed-tests/

Interesting that rats and roaches can't be used but I don't see snakes aren't a lot of people afraid of snakes therefore causing a "negative emotion"? And I'm laughing about "rock and roll music" being on the list.

I doubt that. They are asking the people making the test not to use language that could affect the results. It's not some dystopian nightmare, and it is something that many states do already.

I doubt that. They are asking the people making the test not to use language that could affect the results. It's not some dystopian nightmare, and it is something that many states do already.

Oregon develops its own tests in house rather than on a contract for purchase. Sensitivity panels are used to determine the list of words that will not be used. Sometimes words are eliminated because they don't translate well.

FWIW this is really much ado about nothing since most folks are totally unaware of the process that is used to develop tests in their own states. It was a continual hassle for us in the DOE to get parents to participate in our panels.

So if we are going to have hysterics over the thought of word usage on exams leading to PC dystopia, let's at least get the story right. New York STATE has not put out this list, the New York CITY dept of Education has. Two very different entities. I realize that is probably not going to placate anyone who thinks that this is leading to Farenheit 451-eque reality, but it does place the list in a little more context. NYC is responsible for developing tests for an increadably diverse student population. NYC board of Ed meetings alone are translated into 18 different languages so that parents and community members can understand what is happening, so how do you think that translates into classroom tests?

NYC has long tried to develop tests that measure actual student progress rather than knowledge of cultural norms. Many of the words on the list, like Halloween, have to do with cutural knowledge rather than reading comprehension. Also, I would think it would be obvious why terrorist would be a good word to avoid on a NYC public school exam. The list is meant to be used in developing tests, not in grading tests and essays. If a student uses the word Halloween in an essay, there is no penalty for doing so. Where has that even been mentioned as a possibility?

I hate how the right wing always say that the government has an agenda. The right wing is the one who has an agenda, what with wanting to turn American government into a conservative Puritan Christian theocracy. :roll:

Indeed.

Imagine a math test asking children to count objects, where the objects were really large realistic looking hairy spiders. With fangs.

I think they are just trying to cover all bases and prevent a lawsuit if someone gets offended.

Welcome to sue happy America!

Archived