IGNORED

Slut the other 4 letter S word

Witsec7

I just heard this opinion piece delivered on NPR by Geoff Nunberg.

I will copy part of it and link to the balance.

"My choice of words was not the best," Rush Limbaugh said in his apology. That's the standard formula for these things — you apologize not for what you said but for the way you said it.

Though in this case, there didn't seem to be a lot of distance between thought and word. What was the point of saying Sandra Fluke was asking to be paid for sex and then adding "What does that make her?" if not to get to that potent monosyllable "slut"?

Whatever your view of Limbaugh, he's one of our most gifted controversialists, and he must have had a good idea that that word would kick up more of a row than any of the other things he said. Still, he obviously didn't anticipate that the reaction would be so intense that it would drive off advertisers who had been willing to overlook all his previous effervescences about race and gender.

.../quote]

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/13/148295582 ... ter-s-word

I really hate the way conservatives think that "being PC" is all about just avoiding certain words, like you can be a giant asshole as long as you say it in dog whistles. Way to totally miss the point, Limbaugh. He probably also thinks it's ok to be racist as long as you don't use the magical bad words.

Rush Limbaugh has gotten more and more outrageous throughout his career because it always seems to work for him. The more of a dick he is, the more his audience agrees with him. I guess he did not realize there was such a thing as going too far. Thank heavens there is.

Archived