IGNORED

Article by an ex-fundie on xoJane

saraelise

I just read a really interesting article on xoJane by a writer who's family seemingly ended up über-fundie (the headcovering, only skirt-wearing kind) through homeschooling. To her parent's credit when she expressed a desire to go to school, they allowed it.

I really liked this quote.

"The strangest thing of all in all this self-reflection is that my little sister, who is now almost 13, was never homeschooled. My parents have since decided that kids have to be in the world sometime, and that enforcing faith with rules isn’t really the point -- it can change behavior, but if it’s not in the heart, it’s not real."

I thought people might enjoy reading it: http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-me/it ... day-school

xoJane is a pretty big website but should I break the link?

I wouldn't worry about the link. I think xoJane would welcome traffic of the likes of us.

It sounds like those parents were at least trying to think of their children's best interest, even if it didn't wind up going so well and tilted toward extremism. They were allowed to watch Disney, which is more that you can say for the Gothard families. I think a lot of parents were a little freaked out by the sexualized culture of the 90's. My sister and I would sneak around trying to watch Dawson's Creek because my dad didn't approve of it.

I agree with you, JuJuBee. I found it interesting as a peak into why parents might choose homeschooling with the best of intentions and somehow get sucked into conservative Christian circles. It certainly seemed like the parents weren't überfundie before they started homeschooling.

It also seems like this woman got an adequate education though, since she slotted in to school okay at 16. Doesn't sound like her parents bought into the home-making only model for their girls.

Archived